" Transfer Device" And " Transfer Access Vehicle" ???

MoonPrincess25

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

I have been going to the DisneyLand Resort Website and clicking on Guests With Disabilities and then secondary clicking on Mobility Disabilities and what you currently see is a list of the rides with one of these two phrases, " Transfer Device" or " Transfer Access Vehicle"

These two options seem fairly new to me, has anyone seen or used either option? The website has a brief yet somehow not very discriptive discription and I am only left more puzzled.

I, myself, have been disabled for almost 20 years but there was a time before then that I could ride any ride I wanted. And when I couldn't ride Splash Mountain or anything like it anymore, my heart broke. But now hearing that there might be a possibility that I and many others might have an option for extra helpto get on these long beloved rides, my heart is filled with hopeful excitement!

If anyone could pass along any clear imformation about either device, it would be so much appreciated!!!:goodvibes

Hope everyone is having a magical Day!

Hello Everyone!

I have been going to the DisneyLand Resort Website and clicking on Guests With Disabilities and then secondary clicking on Mobility Disabilities and what you currently see is a list of the rides with one of these two phrases, " Transfer Device" or " Transfer Access Vehicle"

These two options seem fairly new to me, has anyone seen or used either option? The website has a brief yet somehow not very discriptive discription and I am only left more puzzled.

I, myself, have been disabled for almost 20 years but there was a time before then that I could ride any ride I wanted. And when I couldn't ride Splash Mountain or anything like it anymore, my heart broke. But now hearing that there might be a possibility that I and many others might have an option for extra helpto get on these long beloved rides, my heart is filled with hopeful excitement!

If anyone could pass along any clear imformation about either device, it would be so much appreciated!!!:goodvibes

Hope everyone is having a magical Day!
After answering, I am going to move your thread to the disABILITIES Board, where it will get more attention and hopefully more specific information.

These are examples of transfer access vehicles (the pictures are from WDW, but the vehicles would be the same).

Haunted Mansion - the side of the doombuggy is cut down to provide easier access and possibly allow a sliding transfer
2590PA040149.JPG

Dumbo - the side of the ride car slides up and back to make a larger opening. Notice, though, it is a very low (almost on the ground transfer, so even with the larger opening, may not be doable for everyone)
P5102395.jpg

Another view of the Dumbo car
P9253443.jpg

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - the side of the car opens to allow more room for access. Thanks to Bill Sears for the photo.
Picture039.jpg

In most cases, a transfer access vehicle is going to be similar to the 'regular' ride vehicle, but have a larger opening with better access from the side into the ride car.

For some that are cars holding many people, like Star Tours or Tower of Terror, it would be a seat in that ride/theater car that is more accessible. In Star Tours, it would be the end seat in the front row, which had a movable arm rest.

Transfer device is going to be more specific to the particular ride vehicle. It is something portable that could be used or added to make transfer easier. Some possibilities include a sliding board, a grab bar that can be attached.
I don't have pictures of any of those, but would suggest talking to a Cast Member at each attraction to see what they have to offer.

Thank you very much! Going to the Cast Members at each individual attraction is absolutely the next step in the plan! I like to try to be as up to date on what's accessible and what's not but this is must semi new because I literally just saw this for the first time a couple days ago. And Although my next Disney vacation isn't until September, I thought I would try seeking answers here first! Thank you once again for your help:)

Thank you very much! Going to the Cast Members at each individual attraction is absolutely the next step in the plan! I like to try to be as up to date on what's accessible and what's not but this is must semi new because I literally just saw this for the first time a couple days ago. And Although my next Disney vacation isn't until September, I thought I would try seeking answers here first! Thank you once again for your help:)
I think they literally only added that to the Disneyland website several days ago.

If you want to use one of the transfer access vehicles, ask about it at the time you come to the attraction and also at the point when you reach the boarding area. You will probably have to wait for it to come around, so may have an extra wait.

CMs will understand if you call it the transfer access vehicle or the ADA ride car.

After your trip, please let us know how it went - any pictures you want to share (specifically of any attractions that are at Disneyland, but WDW) would be welcome.
I have a large collection of WDW photos, but not Disneyland.

Ok, I have gone to Disneyland quite a bit this year and have used and seen both transfer devices, vehicles, and entrances. Transfer devices usually, from what i have seen, look like cushioned boards to help you slide into and out if the ride. The best way to describe it is if you remember at barber shops what they use to put little kids in the seat so they are higher up for their haircut. Looks like that! Transfer vehicles, as Sue said either has a wider entrance and/or can be opened up so that a wheelchair can go right in without having to transfer out. Best way I can think about giving you the info is listing the ride and accommodation..hope this works out well. :)

Tomorrowland:
- Space Mountain- alternate entrance, separate transfer vehicle, and transfer device. It is low though so it is a little harder for some to get in and out. However, I feel the most comfortable about this ride because it has the separate vehicle that literally moves onto a separate track and gives you as much time as you need to transfer.
- Buzz lightyear astro blasters- transfer vehicle that can hold a wheelchair. Also, a longer entrance with a slower or stopped walkway to help you get on and off if you don't want to wait for the ADA vehicle.
-Star Tours- main line that separates into an alternate entrance. Can go all the way up and into the vehicle and slide to an almost horizontal transfer to the seat. CM will take WC back to entrance and will bring it back after the ride.
- Mattahorn- regular line which separates into alternate entrance. Extremely hard transfer since the new vehicles have been put in. I actually avoid this now because you are still rushed out of the ride and it is super hard to get out and in.
Nemo- not accessible if you are unable to walk. Alternate viewing experience is available on a t.v.
-innovations- completely accessible in viewing everything inside.
Not sure on Autopia as I have never done it!

Fantasyland:
Small world- separate transfer vehicle and separate entrance where wheelchair can be brought right onto the boat.
Alice in wonderland, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinnochio, mr. Toads wild ride. Separate entrances all through exit. Can transfer straight from wheelchair to the ride vehicle and given as much time as you need. Peter pan has just been changed...as it used to have a moving walkway that could not be slowed or stopped. The walkway is now gone and is now accessible to everyone.
Casey jr. - exit is the entrance. Not adapted so might be difficult to transfer in.
Moby- I did not try this one.

Adventure land-
Indiana jones- alternate entrance(through exit) with transfer device.
Pirates- altternate entrance and separate transfer vehicle..though the boat is the same as all the others. Basically, the CM wait for a full boat for people who need more time to get in and everyone gets on the same one. Harder to get in and out. I actually have never seen a transfer device on this one as I usually just have family member help me in and out.
Haunted mansion- separate entrance , separate ride vehicle with bigger opening, moving walkway can be slowed or completely stopped.

Frontier land-
-big mountain - closed now for refurbishment so I can't update you on that as the vehicles will be changing.
- splash mountain- separate entrance ( through exit) , separate vehicle.( ask for this..ther is a log that has one less seat in it and a really big back seat marked with the handicap symbol. I was able to get in and out with this extra room then if I were in the regular log. I believe there is also a transfer device but I didn't use it. Just lowered myself to the log side, then down to the seat. :goodvibes
-canoes - not accessible unless you can walk.
-Tom sawyer is,and- not ADA accessible. Paths are too rough.

If I forgot any, it is probably because I haven't been on them! Haha. I hope this helps you out a little. The sum of it is that if you ask, the CM s can accommodate you as best they can. If you don't have a WC make sure to get a GAC at city hall and this will help with the CMs understanding your accommodation needs. ;)

Transfer vehicles are those where you do have to transfer, but have some special feature to make transfers easier.

The attractions that have a wheelchair accessible vehicle will say that there is a wheelchair accessible vehicle available on the Disney website.

Wow!!! That is all so cool to know!!! Thank you so much, rewardsinlife!

Ok, so the last time I was at Disneyland it was approximately 2008. And as far as I knew, with the exception of Space Mountain, Tomorrow Land was the most accessible for my mobility issues and Disney's California adventure was equally accessible. I wonder if they started to add the "Transfer Devices" and more "Transfer access Vehicles" after that. From what you just told me, I also wonder if they are updating the accessibility of the Parks faster than they are updating their website.

I will absolute take pictures and post them! I am so excited at the thought of more ride possibilities! I got to say that I was thrilled when Disney started adding new attractions that were immediately accessible like Toy Story Mania and The Buzz Lightyear ride but to know that they are going back and making the older attractions more accessible touches my heart immensely! It's totally the icing on top of the cake!! Thank you DisneyLand and thank you two again for helping me

Here are a couple more transfer vehicles from DL.

Pinocchio

P1020564.jpg

California Screamin. You can see this works as a set of spots you can sit on to work your way down to the seat on the far side.

P1020631.jpg

Awesome!!! I don't know if I can handle California Screaming but just knowing that its an option puts a big smile on my face!!!

Thank you!!

I am becoming more and more excited everyday!! My September Disney/Birthday vacation seems so close and yet so far :)

Even if they exist most CMs do not offer the Transfer Accessible Vehicle (TAV) right away. They WILL offer the wheelchair accessible vehicle WAV though.

When you go into each park ask the CM st the turnstiles for a Guide for Guests with Disability. Some have a separate guide, some have transitioned to a Guidemap. These will tell you if a TAV is available at the attraction.

I will post more tomorrow from my computer.

Thank you! Seriously, this all good information to know! It sounds like ultimately the best plan to ask the CM's and see the different options for each attraction. Oh my goodness, this is so exciting to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter