Trans couple too afraid to go to Florida - how accepting is Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source?

I live in an area with over 1 million people across 2 counties. The local news had a front page story of a person’s Pride flag ripped off their front porch. That’s obviously a crime and wrong, but if what you’re saying were accurate, a story about simple vandalism wouldn’t be the top story.

There have been dozens of murders recently and were beneath that vandalism story. So I’m guessing what you articulated is congruent with violent crime seen within the general population. In other words, there is no statistical anomaly. Hate and violence are wrong, but we’re seeing plenty of it in the random day-to-day.

Again, just because you aren't seeing it on local news doesn't mean it isn't happening. A good news source for LGBTQ news, good and bad, is called Pink News. Check it out. It's global news, not just U.S.

Yes, people of all backgrounds are victims of violence. But I'm talking about people being attacked BECAUSE of who they are. Maybe it's not a high percentage but the fact that it happens at all is disgusting.

Here's a story from yesterday. Reminiscent of the people with Nazi flags outside WDW recently.
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/06...itler-salutes-drag-queen-story-new-hampshire/

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/06/19/ku-klux-klan-kkk-gun-lgbtq/
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/06/19/bubba-pollock-end-of-life-care-dad-ontario/
https://www.hrc.org/resources/fatal...r-and-gender-non-conforming-community-in-2022
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/06/15/gun-plot-hate-crime-montana/

Those are just the recent ones I grabbed real quick. (Not all U.S. stories.)

Here are some that popped up as "related" on one of those.....
https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/04/24/malachi-robinson-gay-shooting-hate-crime-sentenced/
https://www.thepinknews.com/2022/09/14/lyra-mckee-death-fun-niall-sheerin-jailed/
https://www.thepinknews.com/2021/04/19/basingstoke-train-station-homophobic-hate-crime/
https://www.thepinknews.com/2020/08...ssachusetts-michael-cates-tom-anderson-jacob/

Last edited:
Like it or not, agree with it or not, fact is that a large and respected advocacy group is warning their community about travelling to Florida.

As the danger can come from people listening to certain politicians and advocacy groups, the same goes for people trying to protect themselves from that danger by listening to other politicians and advocacy groups.

And in the end, your mileage will vary. Some will experience no hostility at all when travelling to Florida and others will experience nothing but hostility. This can just be about being lucky or unlucky.

Are there things you can do to decrease your risk, of course, but still you can be at the wrong place at the wrong time. And maybe there are more wrong places and times than normal at the moment.

And whether or not you go all depends on your previous experiences, whose opinion about the situation you value and the level of risk you are comfortable with.

In certain aspects, this discussion is not that different from covid times and travelling.

I’m going to say something rather profound—that I dare observe and point out the extreme unlikelihood a cluster of unrelated individuals congregated online to discuss their next $10,000+ vacation—that such individuals are unlikely to have had meaningful, life altering struggles.

This is how I know you are being very unserious right now.

The very notion that someone, at SOME point in their life, can afford to take a $10,000 vacation has absolutely NO bearing on what has occurred throughout the rest of their life.

You are saying that because someone overcomes adversity to be financially successful, they should never, ever get to enjoy the fruits of their labor? Why not?

Must people who have endured hardship and struggle never get to have fun? Must they act the martyr for the rest of their life, proving just how terrible they have had it?

Is someone's outward facing appearance and demeanor always reflective of what's going on inside? Are happy looking people always happy? Are sad looking people always sad?

Get real. The human experience is varied and always has been. You know NOTHING about anyone's personal struggles or financial situation. Being able to take a vacation tells you absolutely nothing about a person. Some people take a $10,000 vacation and have no way to pay for it, and are in a constant state of stress about money, but they hide that from everyone around them and pretend everything is fine. Others have so much money that $10,000 is pocket change, and those same people could be battling things you couldn't even fathom. Money doesn't solve your problems, and it doesn't change who people are when they end up with it later in life.

Source?

I live in an area with over 1 million people across 2 counties. The local news had a front page story of a person’s Pride flag ripped off their front porch. That’s obviously a crime and wrong, but if what you’re saying were accurate, a story about simple vandalism wouldn’t be the top story.

There have been dozens of murders recently and were beneath that vandalism story. So I’m guessing what you articulated is congruent with violent crime seen within the general population. In other words, there is no statistical anomaly. Hate and violence are wrong, but we’re seeing plenty of it in the random day-to-day.

1 million people across 2 counties is not a highly populated area. I would not come to any conclusions based on such a small sample size.

1 million people across 2 counties is not a highly populated area. I would not come to any conclusions based on such a small sample size.

I agree with this. I live in the Omaha, NE metro area and it's around 1 million people. A lot compared to the rest of the state of Nebraska but certainly not an indicator of what is happening in other areas of the country.

I’m going to say something rather profound—that I dare observe and point out the extreme unlikelihood a cluster of unrelated individuals congregated online to discuss their next $10,000+ vacation—that such individuals are unlikely to have had meaningful, perspective-altering struggles.

It’s outlandish, I know. Such an assertion comes from a privileged perspective. As such, one simply cannot fully appreciate the travel risks associated with going to Florida. Why, it’s akin to walking the slums of Kinshasa.

Likewise, individuals from a slum won’t get hysterical over an Amazon shipping delay, while those taking luxury vacations grapple with it. Hence the unwarranted chronic anxiety due to lack of perspective, and why people today with smartphones, ubiquitous air conditioning and plentiful food find everything to complain about.

That indeed would be an apparent, and chronic, problem.
Could you say that again? I stopped listening after you said profound 🙄

People get hurt, maimed and killed because of who they are throughout mankind's entire history. Unless someone gives up some quantifiable crime statistics from FDLE, DOJ etc that show a marked difference in rates of offense against a specific group I suspect people are just either ignorant or pursuing a point to support their worldview regardless of facts.
Pretty common in people who politically active on the extremes of either direction. It's like a sense of persecution.
We travel throughout FL with our LTBGQ+ family and friends that make up at least 50% of the people we spend time with and vacation with. Every year sees more overall acceptance and even enthusiasm.
I'm not denying anyone's experience, it's just hasn't been mine.

People get hurt, maimed and killed because of who they are throughout mankind's entire history. Unless someone gives up some quantifiable crime statistics from FDLE, DOJ etc that show a marked difference in rates of offense against a specific group I suspect people are just either ignorant or pursuing a point to support their worldview regardless of facts.
Pretty common in people who politically active on the extremes of either direction. It's like a sense of persecution.
We travel throughout FL with our LTBGQ+ family and friends that make up at least 50% of the people we spend time with and vacation with. Every year sees more overall acceptance and even enthusiasm.
I'm not denying anyone's experience, it's just hasn't been mine.
The DOJ “gives up” most of its statistical findings. You can get it on their website. It is what they used to determine that hate crimes are a real thing.

I’m starting to feel like Jordan Kepler on some of my posts here. 😂

Last edited:
The DOJ “gives up” most of its statistical findings. You can get it on their website. It is how they made a decision that hate crimes are The history of hate crimes laws is pretty easy to find. The use of statistics isn't mentioned, it simply defines protections. Originally an extension of 1st and other amendment protections it was expanded several times to include more activities and groups.
But that is a deflection. Can you cite some of the specific breakdowns of crimes against LGBTQ+ communities in FL in excess of the national average or compared to other protected groups that would warrant a travel advisory?.
I'll wait.

If trans people in Florida were getting assaulted/hurt in hate crime attacks it would be all over the news. Each case would be extensively covered. There would be marches and vigils and lawyers showing up to grift off the victim. It’s not happening. As a whole people in this country (including Florida) are more accepting than they’ve ever been and although some may not agree with or understand the LGBTQIA’s movement they are not openly violent towards them.

I have a master’s degree in history, but thanks for the history lesson. Still doesn’t prove nobody ever had anxiety or depression! Hint: it’s probably most people who killed themselves in the past.
Stresses from first human up until about 100 years ago: Starvation/weather/infection

Stresses for humans today: Coffee order was wrong/Internet connection lost/The 17th package won’t arrive on time for Christmas leaving only 16 presents.

People are more stressed out today than ever before, and it’s because they have zero perspective over struggle vs. inconvenience.

Last edited:
Auuuhhh, what?

Out of 1+ million people, the biggest news story was simple vandalism of a Pride flag.

Now if the phantom rampant crimes were occurring described before, then surely we would be inundated with news stories. The fact is it was a statement parroted by someone because they heard it said from someone else.

So, where are these targeted hate crime homicides? They’re exceptionally rare. If they weren’t, I wouldn’t be staring at a video of a doorbell camera showing a flag being vandalized as the top story in a metro area, because that would be the least of the problems.

If trans people in Florida were getting assaulted/hurt in hate crime attacks it would be all over the news. Each case would be extensively covered. There would be marches and vigils and lawyers showing up to grift off the victim. It’s not happening. As a whole people in this country (including Florida) are more accepting than they’ve ever been and although some may not agree with or understand the LGBTQIA’s movement they are not openly violent towards them.
100%. CNN would be all over it. What’s amazing is how ubiquitous cell phones are, that we have 330+ million people, yet how thankfully uncommon any of this is.

Driving and hanging up Christmas lights are objectively more dangerous than what people are parroting what someone else told them.

Florida is fine. Stop it.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I live in the Omaha, NE metro area and it's around 1 million people. A lot compared to the rest of the state of Nebraska but certainly not an indicator of what is happening in other areas of the country.
What’s happening in other areas of the country, or is the media in on not reporting what they otherwise would be falling over themselves to report?

100%. CNN would be all over it. What’s amazing is how ubiquitous cell phones are, that we have 330+ million people, yet how thankfully uncommon any of this is.

Driving and hanging up Christmas lights are objectively more dangerous than what people are parroting what someone else told them.

Florida is fine. Stop it.
While I do agree that no one should hang up Christmas lights while driving, 😂 it’s ironic to use an availability heuristic to argue your point. “Stop it”? It appears no one is belaboring their point more than you. 😂

Stresses from first human up until about 100 years ago: Starvation/weather/infection

Stresses for humans today: Coffee order was wrong/Internet connection lost/The 17th package won’t arrive on time for Christmas leaving only 16 presents.

People are more stressed out today than ever before, and it’s because they have zero perspective over struggle vs. inconvenience.
Or, you know, trans people in Florida are worried a new law passed will prevent them from filling their prescribed medication. Or parents of trans kids are worried they’ll go to jail for getting their child proper care. Or a trans person visiting Florida is worried a doctor will be able to refuse care in an emergency due to a new law passed.

But Florida is fine, everyone! Stank said so.

This is honestly just naive.

What’s happening in other areas of the country, or is the media in on not reporting what they otherwise would be falling over themselves to report?

Apparently all of the news stories I posted earlier don't count then?

Or, you know, trans people in Florida are worried a new law passed will prevent them from filling their prescribed medication. Or parents of trans kids are worried they’ll go to jail for getting their child proper care. Or a trans person visiting Florida is worried a doctor will be able to refuse care in an emergency due to a new law passed.

But Florida is fine, everyone! Stank said so.

I'm beginning to think that poster is maybe just a troll trying to get a rise out of people. I think that would honestly be better than someone who truly minimizes the struggles many people have on a daily basis all over this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter