Training

SebastianMichael

Earning My Ears
Hey guys!

So, I'm planning on registering for the 2017 Half-Marathon. I know it's still pretty far away, but since I've only done the odd 5K here and there, I want to be super prepared and I'd rather start scheduling things further in advance than have the date creep up on me. So my question is, about how much time before does full time training start? I've never done long distance running before, but I play varsity sports so I'm athletic and fairly fit. Not the same as running, I know, but I figure it's better than starting with no athletic experience whatsoever.

So yeah, if someone more experienced than me can give me a general idea of what timeline they use, that'd be great!

Thanks so much!

- Sebastian

P.S. I know the runDisney site has those training schedules put up, but I'd someone I can talk to versus something generic put up for everyone.

Depends on what training plan you want to use. The programs on the runDisney site start in early September, while other plans may start a little later. There is no right or wrong plan to use - pick the one that you think will work best for your schedule and that you will stick to, and one that seems approachable for your fitness level.

In the meantime I would highly recommend signing up for a local 10K race that you can use to submit to Disney for corral placement. You could train for that and then pick up your half marathon training plan.

It's important to "peak" at the right time, so whenever you choose the training plan you want to use, make sure you follow it as written and don't start it too early in the year. :)

Ariel484: Yeah, definitely not going to start training right now. I'd be too busy with basketball, baseball, and SAT's anyway! Good to have that general idea in mind though, so thanks! I'm going to def sign up for some local races to get a feel for running in a race and whatnot, but unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to use it for corral placement.

Where I live (Puerto Rico) it's hot year round (averaging at, I'd guess, 75-85 in the cooler months and 95+ in the hotter months) so for safety reasons, races and stuff only happen in the beginning months and the last few months (November-February.) And I believe proof of time deadlines tend to happen in October? Unfortunate, but it is what it is, I guess.

Ariel484: Yeah, definitely not going to start training right now. I'd be too busy with basketball, baseball, and SAT's anyway! Good to have that general idea in mind though, so thanks! I'm going to def sign up for some local races to get a feel for running in a race and whatnot, but unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to use it for corral placement.

Where I live (Puerto Rico) it's hot year round (averaging at, I'd guess, 75-85 in the cooler months and 95+ in the hotter months) so for safety reasons, races and stuff only happen in the beginning months and the last few months (November-February.) And I believe proof of time deadlines tend to happen in October? Unfortunate, but it is what it is, I guess.

Since you are already fairly athletic and in good shape, I'd suggest finding an official, timed local 10k there in Feb-Mar-Apr, if any are available and running it. Even if you are not in the best "running shape", it doesn't take a whole lot to get a proof of time that will move you out of the very last corrals. Run one or two and use the best you've got for proof and it will be better than not having a time at all. Then you can focus on whichever training plan works best for you to get ready for the race itself. I'll throw a vote in for Hal Higdon's training plans (available on his website) and I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

Camaker:
Managed to find an event in September! Will still be pretty hot out (it was at 97 today and it's only February!) but a) it's right by the coast so the sea breeze will def help and b) I'm not aiming for spectacular times, just enough to move up a few corrals.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind for later in the year :)

I can offer some advice, but I have some questions so that I can get to know you better.

1) What is your goal for the half marathon? Finish based? Time based? Placement based?
2) What's your most recent 5K time that you felt was a true display of your current fitness?
3) How often do you want to train?
4) What is your motivation to run the half marathon in Disney?
5) What do you like about running?

I would also run a 10k prior, but not just for proof of time, but just the next step in running long distance. Running is totally different than basketball, baseball, etc. Those other sports will help, but you'll definitely be using different muscles. You'll get lots of good advice on here, so feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

@SebastianMichael, I suggest you get in contact with @rteetz. He's also in high school and has run several Disney races over the past few years. He should be a good resource for you in learning how to fit your training in with your school sports, classwork, and other activities.

This! Ryan (@rteetz) is great - he ran the half for the first time this year (he's done the 5k and 10k as well), and he's done some great trip reports and articles here on the DIS about running Disney events as a teen. He also is a high school athlete, so you guys will have a lot in common as far as training goes!

Hey guys!

So, I'm planning on registering for the 2017 Half-Marathon. I know it's still pretty far away, but since I've only done the odd 5K here and there, I want to be super prepared and I'd rather start scheduling things further in advance than have the date creep up on me. So my question is, about how much time before does full time training start? I've never done long distance running before, but I play varsity sports so I'm athletic and fairly fit. Not the same as running, I know, but I figure it's better than starting with no athletic experience whatsoever.

So yeah, if someone more experienced than me can give me a general idea of what timeline they use, that'd be great!

Thanks so much!

- Sebastian

P.S. I know the runDisney site has those training schedules put up, but I'd someone I can talk to versus something generic put up for everyone.
Hi, some others tagged me in this post and it's great you want to RunDisney! This year I completed my first Disney half marathon during marathon weekend this year.

I used the Jeff Galloway training plan on the RunDisney website. I started my training a couple weeks after I was supposed to due to my football schedule.

Let me know what questions you have and id be happy to help out.

I would also run a 10k prior, but not just for proof of time, but just the next step in running long distance. Running is totally different than basketball, baseball, etc. Those other sports will help, but you'll definitely be using different muscles. You'll get lots of good advice on here, so feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

I totally agree. It's a completely different thing, I just included that there since an unrelated sport is probably better than starting from absolute zero. I'll definitely be doing some races when possible later in the year, it's just unfortunate that they're a rare occurrence down where I live. But I'll be on the lookout!

FFigawi and Keels-
That's a great reference, thank you so much! Will definitely be in contact with him.

I only just joined the board yesterday and I couldn't have imagined how friendly and helpful everyone would be, so thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter