Training question

your friend

Mouseketeer
I have been weight training and running for a year. In January I am beginning to train for a half marathon in April. My question is about weight training. I have had some really good results in my weight training and I don't want to stop because of my half training. So what should I do. In January I plan on running tues, thurs, sat, and sun. When should I weight train and what should my routine resemble. Thanks!

I have great luck lifting in a rotating set of sessions; legs, push/pull, arms/shoulders. Lift sessions are light almost endurance type of workout on Mondays, medium on Wednesdays and heavy on Fridays. The rotation would be as above in week 1, then rotate to arms/shoulders on Monday, legs, on Wed and push/pull on Fri in week 2, then week 3 rotates again....

Not sure if this makes sees, but it keeps you fresh. Change up the sets in each session every 4-6 weeks.

Obviously, this leaves no rest day and that is not good. I would look to moving one of the weekend runs to a week day, your call.

You may get some guff about legs and running. Do not worry. Legs still need work. The lifting will help bullet proof the legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter