Trail's End or Whispering Canyon

MHofeners

Mouseketeer
Looking for a laid-back TS restaurant with 3 boys under age 7. Non-park day. Thinking we will catch EWP and Fireworks from either location or from back at Contemporary afterwards. Or even ChipnDale campfire if we can time it right.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've done all 3. WCC was great, but a little loud. Trail's End is a buffet, and much more mellow.

The campfire/movie is fun was fun because we were staying right in FW. I wouldn't make a special trip for it unless your kids are huge Chip and Dale fans.

Nothing laid back at Whispering Canyon--it's one of the loudest spots on property.

TE is definitely more laid back. We went there with our 3 kids on our rest day and really enjoyed it. The boat ride is relaxing and there is a playground right off the dock. We skipped it, as it was dark, but would build that in next time, now that we know it's there. The only consideration is that it is a buffet. I typically avoid buffets with three kids, because it is so hard for the adults to manage to eat after filling plates. What saved us at TE was the fabulous chef (TJ). My ODD and DH both have food allergies, and he was the best chef we have had on property. He hand delivered all their food, so it was like a TS for 2, buffet for 3, which was easier to handle. We went to WCC for breakfast and lunch and had a great time there, too. It was not crowded at these times, so wasn't loud, just silly and fun.

Well by laid back, I meant laid back as in my 3 loud boys wont be a huge annoyance to everyone lol! Perhaps I should have clarified ;) I feel like at the TS at The Contemporary (where we are staying) or GF, which I considered bc I want to see it, they would just stress me out. We typically avoid restaurants at all costs lol!

Tell me this: If you were wanting to make it all about the kids and build a little entertainment in there, which would you choose?

This is our first night on site EVER but we don't really want to tie ourselves down with a ressie or anything bc we likely won't even make it to our room til 4ish (and that is assuming flight is mostly on time). I just want to be able to play and entertain the kids a bit and see the EWP. Maybe fit in a campfire/movie or the arcade - whatever seems to interest them. My initial thought was HDDR but I don't want to box us into a ressie AND I don't want them to have to sit thru 2 hrs after 2 hrs in the car, 2+ hrs on the plane then ME to Contemporary... I like the idea of Trails End bc it looks super laid back (not too worried about buffet, breaks things up a bit and the oldest can do his own plate) - I was also thinking that the playground here might be good and that (depending on time) we could maybe even fit in a wagon ride, that there would be a lot to see here for them and that the campfire here might be a neater experience than the one at the Contemporary. WCC sounds like it might actually be the more entertaining of the 2 for the kiddos, so I like the idea of that too! And the included beverages for adults ;) And the convenience of not having to worry about the buffet. Plus, there is still the boat ride over - which I think they will enjoy. Is there more for the kids to see & do here? What about the campfire here/EWP viewing? Or do you think we'd be better off returning to Contemp. and doing campfire/movie &/or watching EWP there?

Last concern - and its not a huge one bc I can usually find something to eat anywhere - but I prefer (no allergy) a gluten free/sugar free/low carb diet. Looks like I can get meat and veggies and salad at either, but if anyone can offer any insight here as well, that would be great!

Knowing all this, further thoughts or suggestions??? This is my LAST (I think) decision to make before we go!!! 6 DAYS! YAY! Oh and I am trying to use a TS so I can save our QS for convenience on the other days (otherwise I would just do Contempo Cafe)!

Also open to other suggestions of places to go - especially if there is neat stuff for the kids to see/do - I just don't really want to be tied down to a ressie and I want it to be VERY kid friendly so DH (& me) doesn't stress out about kiddo table manners/behavior ;)

Thanks again so SO much!!!

Looking for a laid-back TS restaurant with 3 boys under age 7. Non-park day. Thinking we will catch EWP and Fireworks from either location or from back at Contemporary afterwards. Or even ChipnDale campfire if we can time it right.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

When you said this, I was going to say Trail's End. Whispering Canyon is not laid back.

Well by laid back, I meant laid back as in my 3 loud boys wont be a huge annoyance to everyone lol! ...
Tell me this: If you were wanting to make it all about the kids and build a little entertainment in there, which would you choose? ...

But when you added this, I'd say Whispering Canyon. While there is nothing laid back about it, you'll see kids running ketchup around to different tables, along with hijinks that you can certainly call entertainment. Trail's End has no entertainment; its basically a buffet.

When you said this, I was going to say Trail's End. Whispering Canyon is not laid back.

But when you added this, I'd say Whispering Canyon. While there is nothing laid back about it, you'll see kids running ketchup around to different tables, along with hijinks that you can certainly call entertainment. Trail's End has no entertainment; its basically a buffet.

Ok! I think the kiddos will enjoy that ;)
Playground or other "entertainment" at WL? Stay there for EWP & Fireworks or head back to Contemporary

ANYONE else have additional feedback?

WCC is quite loud, so if you are looking for a place where your boys can be boys, that would be my recommendation. :)

Food wise, I would recommend Trail's End. The dinner buffet is sooooooo good!

EWP = Electric Water Pageant.

With three boys under 7, my suggestion would be WCC. It's really geared towards kids, encouraging them to be loud and wild. They really play it up to kids who get into it. If your kids are outgoing, they'd really like it I suspect. We're just two adults, and eat there because we like the food, and always get a kick out of seeing how much kids love it. Also nice to walk around WL.

We've done Trail's End too, which also has good food, but it's much more of a quiet and typical atmosphere. It's also a buffet, which is different than WCC which is served family style if you order the skillet. Trail's End would probably be boring to kids - not a very exciting atmosphere and the theme would probably be lost on them. You could always eat at WCC and then take the boat over to FW to check out the grounds.

You'll have a good meal either way though!

We love the buffet at Trails End but we have also let the kids run loose on the playground while we watched and enjoyed an adult beverage sitting in the rocking chairs at Crocketts Tavern. After they were exhausted enough to be hungry, we have gone to the buffet OR gotten take out from there and had our meal outside. to After a trail ride and a singalong at the campfire, we hustled down to the beach to watch the EWP. The kids could run around while we chilled but usually they snuggled up to watch the EWP after which we headed home. Our take on the WCC was that our kids were either suddenly too shy to participate in the antics or they thought it was too silly. The food was good however and now that the kids are older, we will probably give it another try.

One of my favorite memories at WDW over the last several years is sitting on the beach at FW with one of my daughters to watch the EWP and fireworks. Wife and other daughter weren't feeling great and went back to our FW cabin after dinner at HDDR, but other daughter (roughly age 9-ish, as I recall) and I stayed at the beach, played a little tetherball and then got what felt like our own little EWP show. There are other people on the beach, of course, but it really felt like the EWP floats had come back there just for our little crowd....and then the fireworks were great, of course. The music is piped in, so you have the same effect as at other monorail resort viewing locations.

Did you time your HDDR reservation so that you'll still be able to see EWP and fireworks soon after dinner? Definitely makes for a fun night, as it's all right there together. Have fun -

Didn't get to eat at TE (even though we stayed at the campgrounds) but had Whispering Canyon for lunch on our departure day. It was my most favorite meal the whole trip! I have kids ages 4,5,7 and 9 and they had a blast! They thought it was so cool and so funny. The food was amazing, I had the all you can eat skillet. Can't wait to go back again!

You will LOVE hoop de doo! IT is awesome! There is a great playground just outside for the kids to play on, and go a bit early to walk thru the horse stables behind Hoop de doo, it is where all of the Disney horses live! There are also pony rides too. They will LOVE chip and dale too if you can make it, it is a lot of fun for kids that age!

WCC for sure!!! Our boys loved it! They are loud and have a hard time sitting still btw. We had a blast there, food was yummy, server was funny, and the stick pony races and ketchup running kept the crew moving! After we explored the grounds, watched the geyser erupt, and caught a peek of the nightly movie under the stars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter