Trails End - no more hot lunches unless you like soup!

Yikes! So there no longer serving a Lunch Buffet with that amazing Chowder?? we're there next week! Has this been confirmed?:confused3

well, they are saying soup and sandwich and salad so maybe they will have the soup and chili. it has been confirmed, unfortunately.

this time of day is when we take our midday break, especially in the summer. It's such a nice lazy time of day around the fort, very peaceful and uncrowded. i suppose next they will do away with sweet tea, the sugar will be too expensive, lol.;)

Thats a good point, i will enjoy this trip no matter WHAT they serve! i will report back once i get the scoop. I never thought of HOT sandwiches, for some reason, i was picturing cold cuts like they serve now on the right side. i wonder if it'll be a build your sandwich bar type thing? stay tuned!

Have a great time!

Thanks! RV is almost loaded, just need one more grocery stop and then our clothes but that won't take long. We take our time getting there, we're leaving SW PA friday morning and check in at the fort on sunday after mass.
can't wait!!!:cool1:

Thanks! RV is almost loaded, just need one more grocery stop and then our clothes but that won't take long. We take our time getting there, we're leaving SW PA friday morning and check in at the fort on sunday after mass.
can't wait!!!:cool1:

We'll see you there:thumbsup2 We check in on Fri and will be there for 10 days.:cool1:

I've been here at the Fort for a while--the menu changed last week for lunch.
NO more pizza or any hot food, except soup, for lunch. There was not a lot of "fanfare"--they just put up a new sign over the old one.
Sandwiches, 3 kinds of soup, salad bar, cold chicken and a new ice cream bar (soft serve) with not so great toppings. $11.99 (I think). They are calling it "leisurely lunch"--Still a buffet though--not counter service. No hot take out for lunch either.
The first day they started it, a lot of people walked in and back out because they were looking for hot food. It still doesn't look as busy as it used to, but after a while, people will forget what used to be there for lunch and it will be fine. People who remembered what the menu used to be, might shy away from it though.
Dinner looks pretty much the same as always as does breakfast and it seems to be drawing the same crowds as it always has.

DIdn't they just change to a manager of the Trailside to a fresh out of college person. Guess they figure this new person is going to bring fresh ideas to the facility. Well it is making us think more about loading up the fridge and make our own sandwiches, and have our own breakfast. If the dinner takeouts are changing we will bypass that also. Previous visit last year we ate many breakfast and some dinners there,,, but no more.

Jim

DIdn't they just change to a manager of the Trailside to a fresh out of college person. Guess they figure this new person is going to bring fresh ideas to the facility. Well it is making us think more about loading up the fridge and make our own sandwiches, and have our own breakfast. If the dinner takeouts are changing we will bypass that also. Previous visit last year we ate many breakfast and some dinners there,,, but no more.

Jim

Yeah, Jim. T.E. does have a new manager fresh outta school! I still maintain that NO ONE should go directly into a managerial job without working thru the ranks a little. I don't care what level of degree they have... without "real life" experience, a degree has no meaning IMHO. Text books & lectures pale by comparison to experience.

You got to Disney credit they know time are tough so like other fast-food restaurants they came up with a $14.99 value menu.

Well, our source just said it's 11.99, not 14.99. And it's still a buffet, not counter service.

Looks like gemstone is our new inside source!!! ;)

I'm just here another week (been here since June 26th)--so another "inside source"will have to report if that menu changes again. I hope it does --back to a mix of hot and cold foods. I think guests prefer choices and right now, lunch doesn't look so "hot" (pun not intended)--not for me anyway. Not that it matters, I usually only did one or two TE meals per trip--but none now so they aren't losing anything on me or my family.
Back to topic----Do individual restaurant managers really have that much power to decide menu changes? I would think it would be coming from a more central location. I think the mangers try to put a positive spin on the new menus though--as do the cast members who work at TE. If you know them well enough and can "read" between the lines, you can usually tell what they REALLY think though.
JMHO

A degree just means youn passed the class, it doesnt mean you are smart. I have heard for years that Disney has put young people in management positions after coming straight from college and as was stated before, if you dont come up through the ranks and you dont know how things work you cant be an effective manager. GM did that around here in the 80's, hired people right out of college and passed over real "car guys" for management positions, anybody that bought a GM car in the 80's knows how that worked out, GM had an ad campaign a few years ago apologizing for their poor quality in the 80's.
Unfortunately REAL managers are few and far between and Disney is no exception.

A degree just means youn passed the class, it doesnt mean you are smart. I have heard for years that Disney has put young people in management positions after coming straight from college and as was stated before, if you dont come up through the ranks and you dont know how things work you cant be an effective manager. GM did that around here in the 80's, hired people right out of college and passed over real "car guys" for management positions, anybody that bought a GM car in the 80's knows how that worked out, GM had an ad campaign a few years ago apologizing for their poor quality in the 80's.
Unfortunately REAL managers are few and far between and Disney is no exception.

I just don't understand why Disney isn't contacting us on the board for these jobs. Heck, I'd liquidate in a second if Disney would pay my relocation costs.

I wonder if this change has anything to do with the new dining plan that is supposed to be coming out in Jan 09. It is one that includes 2 CS and 2 snacks per day. No details on the price yet. I am just wondering if they are going to make TE at lunch a CS credit. Also wondering if next years free dining will be this new CS plan. Should alleviate ADR issues.

We ate there the other day for lunch. I personally liked the new lunch buffet. They had a much better salad bar, deli salads, your choice of rolls or bread for sandwiches which you made yourself. For the sandwiches they held deli style trays out w/ American & swiss cheese and turkey, roast beef and ham. They also had chili, Chicken & rice soup as well as Italian wedding soup. For dessert was soft serve and a sundae bar to make your own sundaes and cookies (the usual choc. chip & sugar cookies) I do not remember the price but I did enjoy it as I never liked the old lunch buffet. We checked it out a few times while we have been here but never ate there until they changed it to the new menu. As far as the change of the menu, everyone will make their own decision on it but for us it worked out much better. The kids could make what they wanted sandwich wise and I didn't leave there feeling over stuffed like I do at breakfast & dinner. Plus it beats the usual pizza or pretzel at Meadows Pool.

Hmm, that sounds pretty good actually, maybe I will stop by for lunch sometime now...lol

It sounds good, but for $12/person, they could juice up the dessert offerings a bit! How about a peach or apple cobbler to go under that soft serve?

And I hope they have some nice fresh fruit on the salad bar? :rolleyes:

It does sound like a reaonable choice for a counter service on any of the dining plans. I really hope the new dining plan takes the pressure off the table service restaurants. This new lunch at Trails End should count as a counter service, not a table service--it shouldn't cost the same number of credits as dinner at Le Cellier!

Sue in Texas
...really wants it to be a good choice for lunch...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter