Trails End Manager Mistreatment

I assume you meant Trails End and for dinner there is no menu, it's just the buffet AFAIK which offers a fixed number of items and I don't think fries are on that. Even then fries don't seem to be anywhere so it's interesting you were even able to get those. I can't speak to how the manager in your opinion treated you, but wonder why all the waitresses said no problem to just french fries.

Larry

you can get fries at the Trail's End to go window with the Giddy Up & Go meal. Maybe if you knew to ask for them inside the restaurant, you could/would?

you can get fries at the Trail's End to go window with the Giddy Up & Go meal. Maybe if you knew to ask for them inside the restaurant, you could/would?

I realize that fries are a side offered with the Giddy Up & Go, but that is a different non sit down service from the buffet and while it is available what should the charge be $1, $2, $5 etc. The OP went into a sit down meal and ordered something from a take out service that is not even listed as a separate item. I'm not sure what the answer is here, but typically a buffet is a fixed charge per person that you often pay before even getting to the food based on the number and ages of the children/adults that will eat ANYTHING, and if one person only eats the salad they still get charged for the full buffet (unless say the buffet has just the soup and salad option only).

To take this a step further the buffet for a child is like $13 so what if they charged 1/2 price that is only about $1.50 over the mac and cheese a child can get as the entree at the lunch menu ... would we be talking about $7 orders of just french fries ... again I don't know.

Larry

It sounds like she was rude in the way she spoke with you if even the server commented. That's never ok. I'd definitely be contacting guest relations about that because a manager should never speak to a guest like that.

That being said, you should have been charged the full child price for your son even if he only ate fries. That's Disney's policy. Over in the disABILITIES! board it's frequently discussed how EVERYBODY at fixed price restaurants, even those who can't eat for medical reasons, are charged full price. There have been rare exceptions made for those who are physically unable to eat a single solitary bite for medical reasons (tube fed) but even that's the exception rather than the rule.

I realize you've been charged only the price of fries in the past, but that's been pixie dust and Disney has been been coming down on the staff to enforce the rules. Expect to pay full price at all fixed price locations even if he only eats a small plate of some really cheap food.

I realize that fries are a side offered with the Giddy Up & Go, but that is a different non sit down service from the buffet and while it is available what should the charge be $1, $2, $5 etc. The OP went into a sit down meal and ordered something from a take out service that is not even listed as a separate item. I'm not sure what the answer is here, but typically a buffet is a fixed charge per person that you often pay before even getting to the food based on the number and ages of the children/adults that will eat ANYTHING, and if one person only eats the salad they still get charged for the full buffet (unless say the buffet has just the soup and salad option only).

To take this a step further the buffet for a child is like $13 so what if they charged 1/2 price that is only about $1.50 over the mac and cheese a child can get as the entree at the lunch menu ... would we be talking about $7 orders of just french fries ... again I don't know.

Larry

I agree with what you're saying ... and also agree that if you're going to have a meal at a fixed price per person buffet and one of the people doesn't want to eat, then you have 2 choices. pay the price and move on, or go somewhere else.

my only thinking was perhaps it was something accepted/allowed because of the access to fries from the take out window. that doesn't sound like it's ever been the case, though. all I know is that I expected steak fries with my GU & Go in October, and just got regular fries. LOL :upsidedow

off the point, your 8 yr old would not eat from the buffet? hm

1. i don't know that the child should be calling the shots
2. of all places, disney would have plenty for a child's liking
3. a hungry child will eat what's available

:thumbsup2

I know that this is a different restaurant and occured a few years back, but.......we went to Ohana's and the boys were not meat eaters at the time. I asked for an alternative and the waitress offered up a ton of options, hotdogs, hamburgers, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets etc. Kids ordered what they wanted, we all had a wonderful meal and we were charged the Capt' Cooks prices of the meals that they ate. Everyone was happy. Reading these posts it sounds like that wouldnt be done anymore.....too bad!

off the point, your 8 yr old would not eat from the buffet? hm

1. i don't know that the child should be calling the shots
2. of all places, disney would have plenty for a child's liking
3. a hungry child will eat what's available

:thumbsup2

your right this is really OFF the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a 100 reasons why the child wanted french fries........who cares.....

your right this is really OFF the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a 100 reasons why the child wanted french fries........who cares.....

I don't think that the fries are the major issue at this point. The bottom line is that you were treated rudely and shouldn't have been. I would definitely take it up with Fort Wilderness Management. This may not have even been a manager. That actually happened to us. We had a problem and a "manager" stepped in to solve the problem. Well, the problem wasn't solved and the person was not a manager.

2goofycampers, with your assistance I sent a 2 page specific letter to Jeff Martin, however the guest communications one keeps coming back as invalid. Hopefully the one to Mr. Martin will make it to where its supposed to and I will be sending one to Mr Lord in the regular mail because I cannot find an email for him. Thanks again

It sounds like she was rude in the way she spoke with you if even the server commented. That's never ok. I'd definitely be contacting guest relations about that because a manager should never speak to a guest like that.

That being said, you should have been charged the full child price for your son even if he only ate fries. That's Disney's policy. Over in the disABILITIES! board it's frequently discussed how EVERYBODY at fixed price restaurants, even those who can't eat for medical reasons, are charged full price. There have been rare exceptions made for those who are physically unable to eat a single solitary bite for medical reasons (tube fed) but even that's the exception rather than the rule.

I realize you've been charged only the price of fries in the past, but that's been pixie dust and Disney has been been coming down on the staff to enforce the rules. Expect to pay full price at all fixed price locations even if he only eats a small plate of some really cheap food.

When I was at AKL in January we ate at Boma. I inquired if they could prepare me something special out of the back due to health issues. They couldn't so I didn't eat but the rest of our group did. They were fine with not charging me for that meal. There were several other instances on that trip where they offered to not charge me when I couldn't really eat when everyone else did.

We skipped Trails End altogether on the last two trips due to their higher prices and lower quality. We plan to buy very few meals on Disney property on the next trip. The prices are just crazy for what you get. Counter service for lunch at the parks will be the extent of our Disney dining experience until they either offer a free DDP for Fort guests or bring the prices more in line with reality.

When I was at AKL in January we ate at Boma. I inquired if they could prepare me something special out of the back due to health issues. They couldn't so I didn't eat but the rest of our group did. They were fine with not charging me for that meal. There were several other instances on that trip where they offered to not charge me when I couldn't really eat when everyone else did.

I suspect that when it's for health reasons and the chefs are unable to prepare safe food for the individual as opposed to somebody making a choice not to eat that more times than not they do remove the charge for that individual but only in this type of extreme situation and I know it's not every time because we've had many people on the disABILITIES! board who have had to pay even when unable to eat. This is at fixed price restaurants; obviously at restaurants where you pay for what you order this isn't an issue. Remember, OP just chose to order something different for her son. This wasn't health related. The rules are pretty consistent and guests should be prepared to pay and consider it good fortune or pixie dust if you're not charged or charged a lesser price.

2goofycampers, with your assistance I sent a 2 page specific letter to Jeff Martin, however the guest communications one keeps coming back as invalid. Hopefully the one to Mr. Martin will make it to where its supposed to and I will be sending one to Mr Lord in the regular mail because I cannot find an email for him. Thanks again

From what I can find Doug Lord doesn't have an email. :confused3 Not one for the public anyway.

Try this,,, wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I got 100 dollars in gift cards for my complaint letter last year regarding the manager at Ohana's so they still give things away for free. I did also threaten to sell my dvc membership because I was disgusted with how disney has evolved over the years since we first started coming in 1987 as well as pass this experience on to everyone I know, so i do not know how much that helped. I sent them a thank you for compensating me for one of my last meals at a disney restaurant as I will now stick to making food in my villa or eating off site. I only wish we could still camp...

Thanks again, I got a reply from Mr. Martin within half hour of sending my email saying he had allready forwarded it to Mr. Lord

I have never eaten at Trails End and I do not camp but we have gone to WDW every year for the past several years and sadly, I agree with others that Disney is losing their edge with great customer service they have long been known for.

I do think most CMs are out to help and will do whatever it takes to make things right. This past Jan we were at WDW and staying at POR. We had the DDP, our first meal was at Casy's in the MK. After ordering, the DDP didn't work with our cards. There was obviously a problem with the system so they just gave us our food...no charge, no DDP credits used. That night we were eating at CP...same thing. The DDP didn't work. We paid with our CC and went to guest relations back at POR. They removed the charge off my CC not only for the meal but for the tip as well. She also gave my an additional $30 to use for whatever...as a token to compensate for the problems and time spent dealing with it. I was very pleasantly surprised...:goodvibes

I really feel it was wrong to charge you for the buffet and even more wrong to be treated like you were. I am hoping Disney does the right thing and compensates you in some way. If they continue allowing CMs to work there that do not carry through with the Disney standards, they will lose what makes them special. The outstanding customer service is what sets Disney apart. I hope that never changes. Unfortunately, I can see that over time that is already happening...makes me very sad.:sad2:

Looking forward to hearing the outcome to your story littlejoe!:rolleyes:

Some thing is not making sense, why where you charged the adult price for an 8 year old? :confused3
I am curious about this to. What was the reason they gave you that the 8 year old would be charged an adult price. Being charged a child's buffet, MAYBE. But I don't understand why you were charged an adult price :confused3
We have gone to Trails End for breakfast numerous times and I have agone to the counter and bought a muffin rather than having the buffet, and sat and ate with my family. There has never been an issue and as long as notified the waitress prior to, I have never been charged an extra buffet. This type of service really surprises me. I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

Ann: this treatment did suprise us, we have never had a problem at Trails End before and we have gone there I bet close to 50 times in the 18yrs we have been going, in fact we have always highly recommended it as one of the best at DW.
As for an explanation about the adult, we never got one, but we never really asked because we were not aware of it till the manager said she was gonna adjust it, and I was so shocked and mad at the way I was talked too I didnt want to pursue the whole thing and make it worse in front of my kids.
Like I said money wasnt the issue, if those are the rules Ill follow them. We buy a ticket for the Hoop Dee Doo for our same daughter knowing full well shes not gonna eat but we dont care we just want to have a good time.
This is strictly about how this manager "LeeJean" treated us and hopefully with the letter I have written she will get her due from her bosses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter