Trail's End allergy reviews?

Mandy, the definition of "reasonable" I think is subject to interpretation.

I have to agree that "reasonable" has MANY definitions when it comes to WDW.

As an example-I just got off the phone with WDW claims department. I got a letter about a claim I had supposedly filed. It turns out the whole "claim" was WDW refused to provide a chemical free clean for our stay. I was told by the manager at the resort that "WDW chooses which medical requests it honors".

Now to me, "reasonable" is clean the room as requested so I can stay in it.

To WDW "reasonable" is file a claim, send letters to various departments, then months later contact the guest (perhaps refund money-I don't know what the intent was but it seemed to be heading that way until I said, the only think I "wanted" was to be able to stay at the resort and not end up in the hospital), get two more departments involved....... 4 months later no resolution.

:scared1: WOW!!! :scared1: That'll certainly mean a change in how often we visit. I'm going to right now not let myself think about this possible upcoming change but I'll definitely be keeping my eyes and ears open waiting for news. I really don't like the direction WDW's been taking when it comes to allergies and frankly one size fits all approaches to other disabilities as well that we've been seeing people talk about on this board. It's weird how other family destinations are working at becoming MORE accomodating while WDW who was the leader in special needs is taking so many steps backward.

Yes, I do have to say WDW is really big into the one size fits all. Or as I say one size fits none when it comes to disabilities. I am not sure how I feel about being limited to "certain" locations for food. On the one hand I would love the security of knowing going in that our needs can and will be met safely. I used to get that from WDW a long time ago. I would like it back again.

As far as other locations working to meet needs, I do know Sea World is currently training their Chefs to meet "most" allergy needs. I am told policy is in place and is expected to rolled out soon. I have been in contact with Sea World Management and Guest Services on several training issues and have encountered many positive changes. SW is taking a hands on approach to issues, and has even gone directly to the source of the issue moments after it happens to begin retraining the employee. So very soon you may have another family destination to visit. Now if we could only get Legoland to understand reasonable LOL.

As I mentioned before, I think part of the problem is the huge proliferation of guests with food allergies, both real or just someone wanting a special meal prepared. I remember when one person here overheard the lady who was too lazy to go up to the buffet and planned to claim she was allergic so her meal could be brought to her. What used to be a real pleasure for the chefs to accommodate allergies and make something tasty may now have tipped the scales into being a burden for them if there are too many requests. Of course having products such as were provided in the past would not impact a chef's time but might impact Disney's bottom line. As to time, I can imagine that the chef, who is responsible for the whole kitchen, who has to come out and speak with each family then go back in the kitchen and whip up something that each allergic Guest will enjoy. If there are multiple allergies being accommodated during a specific timeframe, it will impact the restaurant. They have a turnover time for the tables that must be met to keep people moving and to keep profits where they want them to be. I don't have a good solution but it seems to me that training is a good part of it. They can have set recipes that can be tweaked with different products IF they have those different products.

I feel for those who see things going downhill. As a person with a disability sometimes I feel like I'm not wanted there as I'm a burden to provide for. Then I vacillate by being so appreciative of the things that have changed that I can do. I only have to look at Disneyland though to see how much is better for me there in terms of accessibility. Perhaps when Mark went there, the new person in charge of Guests with Disabilities at WDW has a different attitude.

Livndisney- I'm SO sorry you feel that you are no longer safe to eat at WDW. That's so sad, esp. since your dd loves to go there. Part of the whole experience is to enjoy a meal. Then the issue with your room not being cleaned just makes my jaw drop. How do they decide which medical requests to honor? Again, maybe too many people have read here about the special cleaning that's supposed to be provided for allergy guests who have issues with the detergents and cleaning supplies. The word "special" means they should be special too...right? Then they are inundated with requests and not enough housekeepers to honor them. I feel like I should go undercover in housekeeping and food service to see what's going on!

Keep on advocating. Something needs to change and if they ARE making changes for the worse then someone needs to let them know how they are impacted. Clanmculloch- your family has spent LOTS of money at WDW and I don't blame you for being disappointed. A vacation is supposed to be just that, not a time for stress over possibly ending up in the ER.

Vent over.

As I mentioned before, I think part of the problem is the huge proliferation of guests with food allergies, both real or just someone wanting a special meal prepared. I remember when one person here overheard the lady who was too lazy to go up to the buffet and planned to claim she was allergic so her meal could be brought to her. What used to be a real pleasure for the chefs to accommodate allergies and make something tasty may now have tipped the scales into being a burden for them if there are too many requests. Of course having products such as were provided in the past would not impact a chef's time but might impact Disney's bottom line. As to time, I can imagine that the chef, who is responsible for the whole kitchen, who has to come out and speak with each family then go back in the kitchen and whip up something that each allergic Guest will enjoy. If there are multiple allergies being accommodated during a specific timeframe, it will impact the restaurant. They have a turnover time for the tables that must be met to keep people moving and to keep profits where they want them to be. I don't have a good solution but it seems to me that training is a good part of it. They can have set recipes that can be tweaked with different products IF they have those different products.

I feel for those who see things going downhill. As a person with a disability sometimes I feel like I'm not wanted there as I'm a burden to provide for. Then I vacillate by being so appreciative of the things that have changed that I can do. I only have to look at Disneyland though to see how much is better for me there in terms of accessibility. Perhaps when Mark went there, the new person in charge of Guests with Disabilities at WDW has a different attitude.

Livndisney- I'm SO sorry you feel that you are no longer safe to eat at WDW. That's so sad, esp. since your dd loves to go there. Part of the whole experience is to enjoy a meal. Then the issue with your room not being cleaned just makes my jaw drop. How do they decide which medical requests to honor? Again, maybe too many people have read here about the special cleaning that's supposed to be provided for allergy guests who have issues with the detergents and cleaning supplies. The word "special" means they should be special too...right? Then they are inundated with requests and not enough housekeepers to honor them. I feel like I should go undercover in housekeeping and food service to see what's going on!

Keep on advocating. Something needs to change and if they ARE making changes for the worse then someone needs to let them know how they are impacted. Clanmculloch- your family has spent LOTS of money at WDW and I don't blame you for being disappointed. A vacation is supposed to be just that, not a time for stress over possibly ending up in the ER.

Vent over.

I also think that WDW has become overwhelmed with too many requests. I know how often people post here how people with disabilities are getting "special" treatment and sadly I think that mindset had trickled down to food and cleaning. It is becoming more common(and we see it on this board) of people wanting to know know they too can get xxx. No matter that xxx was intended to for those that NEED xxx.

I understand how you could sometimes feel unwanted at WDW.(I am so sorry you have been made to feel that way-you deserve much better!) I feel that way sometimes too. I KNOW I am a "problem" for WDW. But as long as DD wants to go-we are going!

i feel for those who see things going downhill. As a person with a disability sometimes I feel like I'm not wanted there as I'm a burden to provide for. Then I vacillate by being so appreciative of the things that have changed that I can do. I only have to look at Disneyland though to see how much is better for me there in terms of accessibility. Perhaps when Mark went there, the new person in charge of Guests with Disabilities at WDW has a different attitude.
Kathy although Mark is now physically in California he is still the person in charge over all. He job now encompasses both Disneyland and WDW. Maureen is now the onsite person and I see the same attitude in her as Mark's attitude. Mark does come to Florida regularly.
I had an awesome manager at Casey's last trip that went the extra mile. He made me the chili dog I wanted minus the cheese and went over to the Mainstreet Bakery to get me unsweetened tea since they no longer carry it and it is the only thing in the parks I can have besides water. I was having problems with this on previous trips and mentioned it to Maureen. This last trip no problem. Both Maureen and mark are able to get the message to the proper people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter