Trailer storage rental? Help? - OR security in unfenced yard??

Gillian

DIS Veteran
Edited to also ask - if we do store in our unfenced yard, what security measures can/should we take?

My husband does not want to keep our new-to-us popup on our driveway. I can understand that, as it's a single width, 2 car length (small).

I'm in central NJ, mercer county and I'm looking for a place that will store it for me. Anyone from around there? The one place closest to us is $40-50/month and I think it's outside.

I'm not sure where it was purchased and I can't ask the original owner because he is in the hospital.

Even if you don't live near me, I'm really in need of advice!

That's a little less than what we pay here in Central Fla for the same--uncovered. Just check to be sure it looks pretty secure. Covered would be nice but usually pretty expensive. You might could put a pop-up in a regular storage unit--not sure about the size though.

We live in Virgina and have our travel trailer in a storage lot - outside - we pay $30/month. You could buy a cover or tarp to put over it while it is sitting in storage outside. And as the other person said, make sure it is a secure or safe location to keep it.

Good luck on your search. :wave2:

I also checked into self-storage units and they are very pricey!

It looks like we are going to attempt to store it in our yard. We will need a bunch of guys to move it to the right spot, but won't have to move it out again until the Spring and I hope to find another solution by then.

What sort of precautions should we take? I guess it needs to be on blocks or something so it doesn't sink into the grass. Are there locks you can use to stop someone from wheeling it away? I was thinking about a motion-sensor light too.

Thank you for the info!

Congrat's on "your new pop up". How about a gravel pad/patio for later use? just a thought. My thing is what about mice? If there is even a crumb or its warm-they come in. They chew on wires and bite the woodwork. Never thought about security measures to take. Interested in the responses you get. We gave up a garage spot and now keep the pop up in the garage and park cars outside.
P.S. blow out and winterize your lines including sink faucet. We've busted the faucet twice now during winter freezing. :sad2:
Good luck and do what's right for you!
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

We stored ours in our driveway for 5 years... it was a tight fit getting into the garage, but eh, what can you do. :p

You can get a lock for the hitch part...I think it's called a trailer hitch lock and it costs around $30. We've got them on both the boat and the camper.

Also, what we're doing now with our pop-up....my brother lives in an apartment complex close to us with tons of empty covered parking that costs $20/space. He's keeping it for us.

If you do put it in your yard, I would definitely recommend a gravel or concrete pad. At least it will be easier to mow around.

First of all you want a clear area under the pop up for storage. Grass and weeds are an invitation for critters to try to make the pop up home. To help keep them out you want to fill all the holes that were punched in the floor during construction. Someone is going to need to get under the pop up and caulk around all the wiores/hoses going through the floor. For larger holes pack brass wool (don't use steel wool, it rusts) in larger holes before you caulk.

The best way to set up the parking spot is to mark out and level the area you are going to park it on, then do one of two things:
  1. Pour a concrete pad to park the pop up on. When you pour it make sure you leave a loop of "rebar" sticking up out of the concrete around where the axle will be. Once you park on the pad you can use a quality chain/lock through this loop and around the axle to secure it.
  2. The next best way is to form a gravel pad to park on. Now, in this case for security go down to the local home center (Home Depot/Lowes) and pick up an 8 inch "sonotube". This is a cardboard tube form for pouring concrete columns. Get one that is four foot long and 8 inches in diameter. Break out the post hole digger and dig a hole that the tube will go in as deep as you can, again under where the axle will be. Once you have gotten 2 - 3 feet deep, cut the tube so it sticks a few inches above the finished gravel suface. With a loop of rebar sticking out the top, fill the tube with concrete. Again this is a way to chain the axle.

Next, it is very important to cover the tires! UV from sunlight will destroy the tires in just a season sitting in the sun. Commercial covers are available at most RV stores.

Now to the cover. You want a breathable cover. Heavy vinyl or canvas covers will trap moisture inside the cover and "steam" your pop up causing it to begin to rot in no time. Additionally, when you put the cover on place a couple of beachballs on the roof, inside the cover. This will cause the top to "tent" up and allow rain/snow to slide off easily. While talking about rain/snow use the tongue jack to ange the roof down.

tim5055 said:
Break out the post hole digger
:rotfl2:

We live in a little house on a little lot in suburbia in NJ where land is expensive. Well, everything is expensive. No post hole digger in our little 1 car garage. More well off people (plenty of those around) have a 3 car garage but they pay people to dig holes for them. I'll ask around or pay a quick visit to home depot.

Seriously, thank you very much for this info. I think we will need to check the unit for signs of critters, as SIL#2 (current owners) stored it on grass for a while. SIL#1 (original owners) had a gravel pad inside their fenced yard.

I should be able to talk to SIL#1 soon to see what kinds of things they did for storage. They are very meticulous people and I'm sure it was well taken care of.

mkandk said:
Also, what we're doing now with our pop-up....my brother lives in an apartment complex close to us with tons of empty covered parking that costs $20/space. He's keeping it for us.
That's a possibility for us as well. What do you do for security??

For critters prevention we always put moth balls in the camper, as well as dryer sheets. Never had a problem, and we leave in the country,

Gillian said:
That's a possibility for us as well. What do you do for security??

Well, nothing except for the trailer hitch lock. :teeth:

It's not much concern to me, I guess. We stored it in our driveway by the alley for 5 years, and no one messed with it. There is the possibility of vandalism, but that's a risk I'm willing to live with (and it's not that common around here). We'd have to pay around $700 more for regular storage, and our pop-up is only worth, I'd say, $3500. Not worth it to us for the premium storage.

Now DH wants to get/install a shed and put it in there.

I'm just going to pull my hairs out, one by one.

Is there a "correct" way to do this? The area right now is grass. Do you have to dig up the grass? How deep? Do you put down plastic or mesh or something under the stones? What size stones?

We have so much to learn. Thank you for you helpful advice.

Telephone your local gravel supplier- they'll give you the suggested size. We just cleared and leveled the ground before having the gravel dumped. Then we spread it out level again. I would suggest a retaining wall or just something to keep the gravel from migrating mysteriously to your lawn. Hubby threw a rock out of the lawn mower and busted a glass door. (live and learn :rolleyes: .) What about a concrete pad instead if he is going to put a shed/garage in? You'd be surprised how inexpensive that is - if you do it yourself.
Good Luck and do what's right for you.
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter