Trailer or Motorhome?

iheartdisney

DIS Veteran
So, DH and I are considering making the leap and buying an RV. We live on the West coast, and would like to visit my family on the east coast this summer. Also, his family is close enough to visit on holidays, but the kids are getting kind of too big to sleep on the couch when we visit for the long weekend.
So we have to start with the simplest of questions, Trailer or RV!! Let me begin by saying that we already own a Ford F-350 Turbodiesel, which has pulled all of our belongings cross-country and back, so we have the reliable tow vehicle covered if we go the trailer route. And I would like to stay under 30 feet, no matter which route we go, as that is the length of our driveway (don't want to pay to store it!)

From looking on craiglist we are finding we can get more camper for the money with a trailer. And DH thinks the gas mileage will be better towing a trailer than driving a motorhome.
However, i like the idea of the motorhome- not having to stop to go to the bathroom, making a snack on the road, tucking the kids into bed while we drive overnight! And I know it is illeagal to be in the trailer while driving, but DH doesn't understand what the big deal is.

So this got really long. I'm looking for input. I guess I am wondering:
  • What do you have?
  • What do you love about it?
  • What do you not love?

We went from an Airstream travel trailer towed by an F-350 to a motorhome. IMHO the motorhome is the only way to travel. No BR breaks, easy to grab snacks on the go. There's nothing to not love about a moho! That being said, you're really limiting yourself at 30' for a moho. And we're getting better gas mileage on the moho than we did towing the TT, even while towing my car and the golf cart.

IMHO the motorhome is the only way to travel. No BR breaks, easy to grab snacks on the go. There's nothing to not love about a moho!
:thumbsup2

Had 3 Travel trailers, 2 fifth wheels and are now our 2nd MH.. We will never go back.

I'll take the other side. We have a truck and a trailer. We just bought the trailer in November and love it. We like being able to park the trailer and leave it at the camp ground and have the truck for sight seeing. Also by the time you need to have a bathroom break you probally will need to get gas anyway. I will throw in that we don't have kids and that might effect the decision. If you live in california you can only tow one trailer behind a Motorhome. so if you tow a car you can't tow a boat or a golf cart or another trailer with bikes or whatever. If you get a fifth wheel you can tow another trailer behind that. If your Motorhome breaks down your transportation and living area will both be in the repair garage.

We have a 5th wheel. We already had the truck as well, so it made the most sense money wise to us.

While it would be nice to have access to a bathroom while on the go, and I'd like to be able to set up a crockpot so that dinner would be ready when we got where we're going, we do love our 5th wheel. And I love that when we get to a campground, we park our home and can drive our truck around. (We don't have a small tow-able car.) We're a little longer than you want (38'), but we have our bedroom and a bunk room for the kiddo - something we had a hard time finding in a motor home.

Plus, we did not want another motor to maintain.

We have had a couple of trailers and a fifth wheel. Right now we have a 25 foot trailer.

A trailer works better for us because we don't get to travel very often, and a MH just sitting isn't great for the engine, etc. And we use our truck all the time.

But one day, I really hope to travel more, maybe even full time :banana:--and at that point a MH would be the dream.

Cathy

MH can be very pricey.. We have a 36' 5th wheel. bunk beds two baths, with two slide out..
both MH and 5th are made shorter now with more slides so you get the same sq footage.. check your city rules to make sure what size of rv you can park in your driveway..

I was told by a salesman once that if you are more interested in getting to your destination and staying put for awhile then get a trailer / 5th wheel.

But if you are more about the journey and don't stay in one spot for too long then get a motorhome.

Steve

\If you live in california you can only tow one trailer behind a Motorhome. so if you tow a car you can't tow a boat or a golf cart or another trailer with bikes or whatever. If you get a fifth wheel you can tow another trailer behind that..

From what I have read you will be limited by total length, doesn't matter what it is behind, 5th wheel or MH.

We went the MH route and got a bunkhouse, has a queen size bed plus bunk beds for the kids. If we planned on doing just weekends we would have went the 5th wheel route because we have the truck already. Do whatevery fits your budget, promise you will have fun either way.

I think you will find more that go from trailers to MH's than from MH's to trailers.

So, DH and I are considering making the leap and buying an RV. We live on the West coast, and would like to visit my family on the east coast this summer. Also, his family is close enough to visit on holidays, but the kids are getting kind of too big to sleep on the couch when we visit for the long weekend.
So we have to start with the simplest of questions, Trailer or RV!! Let me begin by saying that we already own a Ford F-350 Turbodiesel, which has pulled all of our belongings cross-country and back, so we have the reliable tow vehicle covered if we go the trailer route. And I would like to stay under 30 feet, no matter which route we go, as that is the length of our driveway (don't want to pay to store it!)

From looking on craiglist we are finding we can get more camper for the money with a trailer. And DH thinks the gas mileage will be better towing a trailer than driving a motorhome.
However, i like the idea of the motorhome- not having to stop to go to the bathroom, making a snack on the road, tucking the kids into bed while we drive overnight! And I know it is illeagal to be in the trailer while driving, but DH doesn't understand what the big deal is.

• What do you have?
  • What do you not love?

If you don't want to go over 30', then you are really going to need to look into getting a unit that has at least one and probably more like two slide outs. Secondly, just me, but I would never tuck my children into bed in a motor home. I am a firm believer in seatbelts regardless of the situation. Should there be an accident, those kids would fly all over the place. Unless you are planning on towing something behind the MH, you will need to pack up the camper and disconnect every time you leave a campsite. And yes, towing a
5th wheel with your truck will give you better mileage than driving a MH.

I basically agree with a lot of above posters. But since you asked I'll give you my opinion. We have a hybrid TT, and love it. It sleeps 8, has a full bathroom, kitchen, and one slide out. I like the idea of the MH for quicker set up, and easy access for potty breaks, but........

1. Would need to tow a car.
2. Would need to tow golf cart.
3. Not a lot of expense with TT. (no motor)
4. Can get into smaller spaces if the need arises.

My suggestion would be to go to a ton of dealers and look at floor plans, think of all costs, including repairs down the road, and talk to other owners about their experiences. Everyone likes something different and/or has different needs. Good luck, it can be overwhelming. I think no matter what you end up with, you will love the camping lifestyle!

I was told by a salesman once that if you are more interested in getting to your destination and staying put for awhile then get a trailer / 5th wheel.

But if you are more about the journey and don't stay in one spot for too long then get a motorhome.

Steve

This was some similar advice that I got when initially looking. We went into the search openminded, although knowing that we had a reliable tow vehicle already. In the end, we found that 5th wheels generally have the most open and spacious floor plans and tend to be better suited for families. The motorhomes tended to be better suited for couples. I think when our kids have moved on we will try the MH route, but for now you can't beat the kids having their own enclosed room, with their own TV and separate bathroom. Our 5th wheel is truly like a 2 Bedroom home with no need to use the living room space as a bedroom (even though that option is there if we need it).

We had the same decision at our last RV purchase. Here was our pro/con list.

Motorhome-
Pro

Access to living quaters while traveling- food, BR, more room to spread out
Easier setup (no unhitching)
Easier to move/better for short stays

Con
Generally more expensive, even when factoring in new tow vehicle. (TV can be used for other non-camping things. MH sits between outings)
Generally worse mileage (compared to diesel truck TV)
Need to move whole MH or need to bring/pull toad if you want to sightsee

TT/5th wheel-
Pro

More usable interior space.
More space/dollar (especially if you already have a tow vehicle)
Depending on length, usually easier to maneuver in tight quarters
More variety in layouts/designs.

Con
None of the Pros of a MH- food/BR access.
Need for big truck.

We made the decision to go with a 5th wheel. I was going to sell my truck since I had 2 other cars, but the thought of a $100,000 rig sitting most of the time and the loss of having a truck when I needed it for other things swayed us towards the 5er.

j

OK, I've done tent, pop up, TT, and I am on my 6th motorhome. The convenience of a motorhome can't be beat. Bathroom breaks, kids watching TV, pulling into a rest area or Walmart for a nap, eating a bite while going down the road, etc., not to mention the ease of set up. Drop your tow vehicle, back into your site, hit the automatic levelers, run out the slide outs & awning and you are good to go.

Having said that, if this is your first foray into the RVing world and you have a good tow vehicle, you may want to try it out first with a good used TT or 5th wheel to make sure you like it. Shop around and find one that is in good shape, with a floor plan you like, that is a bout 5 years old or so, and buy it.

Also, I would never buy new for a first RV. Mostly because even though you may have a good idea of what you want, that will usually change after you have been in one for a while.

We had the same decision at our last RV purchase. Here was our pro/con list.

Motorhome-
Pro

Access to living quaters while traveling- food, BR, more room to spread out
Easier setup (no unhitching)
Easier to move/better for short stays

Con
Generally more expensive, even when factoring in new tow vehicle. (TV can be used for other non-camping things. MH sits between outings)
Generally worse mileage (compared to diesel truck TV)
Need to move whole MH or need to bring/pull toad if you want to sightsee

TT/5th wheel-
Pro

More usable interior space.
More space/dollar (especially if you already have a tow vehicle)
Depending on length, usually easier to maneuver in tight quarters
More variety in layouts/designs.

Con
None of the Pros of a MH- food/BR access.
Need for big truck.

We made the decision to go with a 5th wheel. I was going to sell my truck since I had 2 other cars, but the thought of a $100,000 rig sitting most of the time and the loss of having a truck when I needed it for other things swayed us towards the 5er.

j

This is great feedback. The thing that swayed me was I could have one or the other, but not both. A beautiful (but somewhat more expensive) MH or a big truck. I do use the big truck for other stuff, so the decision became easy. If I hit the lottery someday, I may change my mind......

We have a 30 foot Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer and I feel a lot less cramped than our friends larger motor home. I certainly have more counter space.
Their mortgage length on their MH's are also the same as on my house, but no way will it last that long. We live in the NE and even though we are retired, we don't do any winter camping, and it's not good for that motor to just sit there. We'd also have to have a car since the MH would have to be pulled off the lot if we needed to go to the store. We have a truck and get much better mileage than our camping group friends do with their MH's.
If their motor needs work on a vacation, they have to rent a motel in most instances, we get to stay in our Travel Trailer while the truck gets repaired (which so far it has not).
You just have to weigh what would work for you.

• What do you have?
  • What do you not love?

Bottom line is that since you already have a great tow vehicle is to try out either a TT or 5th wheel to get your feet wet. You can always move up later.

For your specific questions:
1. We have a TT pulled by a full sized Ford Van (see my sig) that has the 7.3L PSD in it and a 31' TT. We previously had a 27' TT and pulled it with a full sized Ford Van with the 460. We had the 27' TT from 1982 to 2007 and our current rig from 2007 to present. We had two sons who traveled with us from 1982 until the first went off to college in 1992 with the second leaving the nest in 1996 and even made a coast to coast trip with both in 1983.

2.We love having a way to use the Van at our destination and it's not that hard to disconnect. We also love the cargo capacity inside the Van for carrying "A LOT OF STUFF" securely and believe me we have our Van "STUFFED" when we travel. We have never had an issue with the pottie breaks or convenience of fixing say a snack, etc. that is often mentioned as a PRO for a MH. Even with a MH you still need to stop for the driver to take a pottie break and for me about 2 to 3 hours in the driver's seat and I'm ready to at least stretch my legs. As already mentioned we have the Van to use when not traveling with the TT. We just can't see the investment in a MH that will just sit there 80 to 90% of the time and really can't be used for much else than traveling.

3. I have yet to really see a down side except both a MH and a 5th wheeler have a lot more storage and a higher GVWR (can be a plus or minus depending) with a higher cargo carrying capacity, but with my Van I overcome that Con to a large extent.

Hope this gives you a little more info to put in the decision hopper/grinder:goodvibes

Larry

If you are value and budget minded and you already have that F350, it just seams to be an easy choice to go with the trailer of some type. With your limited parking space at home maybe a nice roomy hybrid would make since. Those pop out beds on each end make the camper much shorter for traveling and for storing in your short driveway. Hybrids weigh less that other trailers so pulling one with that diesel truck should deliver good fuel economy. I think we know that fuel prices are going up up up.
I loved my Excursion and 30 ft Trail-Lite (4760 lbs dry weight). I sold this rig a few months ago for 2 reasons: first, we wanted to get our own golf cart and I am not going to pull 2 trailers! Second, we drive straight through 1000 miles to the Fort, and that gets to be a real drag, tiring and boring. In a motorhome you can stretch out and relax a lot better. With 4 to 5 adults, 2 small kids, and 2 large dogs we really needed more room while traveling. Plus now we can pull a small trailer for the golf cart. We don't really need a car for WDW. For other trips we can leave the golf cart at home and pull a car.

Our current motorhome is our first RV. I love that we can walk around, prepare meals, use the restroom, while the motorhome is in motion, driver and passenger are together. I also love the view while driving the motorhome. It is also very quiet, since the engine is way in the back. Air suspension is smooth. There's really nothing I don't love about our motorhome compared to a trailer. That said, it is true that some of the super big 5th wheels have more counter space than our 43ft. coach. Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you will love whatever you decide, there's something for everyone out there, it's fun shopping!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter