Traffic through Miami?

Bonniec

DIS Veteran
I'm researching hotels in Miami and not finding anything that stands out to me. Since there are 5 of us, I have to find 2 rooms or a suite and prices are just crazy for that.

We live here in Orlando. So I am debating on just driving down the morning of the cruise, or maybe staying at the Vero resort just to check it out.

So how bad does the traffic get driving down to the port?

We have driven many times to Miami from Orlando and the traffic isn't bad but it take like 3 hrs or so. Just leave early enough to accommodate this and you should be fine.

The traffic issues will be once you get to Miami that traffic can be wall to wall. If you miss rush hour you should be ok. For example if you drive through at 10am that should be fine.

Have you looked in Fort Lauderdale for deals?

I lived in Orlando and went to school in Miami. It's a 4hour drive to Miami eith if you take the turnpike down or take it to Port St Lucie and then take 95 down. I almost missed my honeymoon cruise cause I knew it was 3 hours to Ft Lauderdale. What I did not take into account that there were 8 exits for Ft Lauderdale and the port was the last exit. We got there 5 minutes before the gate was closed. My advice-go down the day before and spend the night. You never know what traffic nightmare will happen.

We will probably stay somewhere, just not directly in Miami. Although I will give the Priceline thing a try first.

Another suggestion: the South Florida metropolitan area is large. Could you maybe find a good deal at a suite-type place in southern Ft. Lauderdale, or more of a suburban area in Miami? This would get you fairly close to the port so that you don't have to worry about rushing in the morning, but still keep it affordable. Sometimes you can get good deals at the airport hotels on the weekend. Keep in mind that if you are cruising on a Saturday or Sunday then regular rush hour shouldn't be an issue, but there could be special events going on (games, local festivals, concerts, etc.) or of course accidents or construction that can cause traffic tie ups.

Yeah, I am open to anything. Plus we are driving our own car and parking at the port so where we stay doesn't matter too much.

My only thing is that if we stay somewhere, it needs to be a 4* or better. I'm just having a hard time stomaching 4* prices in Miami. We have 4 adults and 1 child (2 adult children) which most of the time means 2 rooms unless they have bedroom suites. In pretty much anywhere in central Florida, east to west coast, we can find 4* hotel rooms for around $150 a night. Everything I see in Miami is like $250 per room, so $500 a night makes me cringe.

I haven't researched Ft. Lauderdale though so was going to look at that next. I don't mind the driving, but I am worried about arriving late due to traffic. We will have the earliest arrival time so want to take full advantage.

That being said, it will be a Sunday and I think the earliest arrival times are still early afternoon so maybe traffic won't be bad.

ouch... you can afford a less expensive cruiseline for that price... look for a two or three day cruise prior! :lmao:

Bonnie,

This is my issue too. We are a family of 5 driving from delaware in feb. the prices are astronomical for 5! We stayed at country inn and suites at port canaveral a few months ago and it was like $130 for the night. Everything in Miami area so far is over $200 a night!! I'm already paying for parking at the port for almost 2 weeks so I am in no way going to pay another $200 for a few hours in a room!

I have a reservation at Hampton inn in Coconut Grove for the night before our flight, and it includes a week of parking while we're on the cruise, all for about $170 (for 3). However, I've found 2 parking lots in Miami very close to the port for $4.50-8.00 day, and there are a few hotels nearby that are reasonable, or we could just stay the night in Ft. Lauderdale and drive the extra hour the morning of the cruise. Port parking at $20/day is just too much when we can get parking and a hotel room for the same price.

Nancy

How about the Springhill Suites in Fort Lauderdale? We're staying there before our March cruise and I think it was $169/night, but since it's suite, five people are allowed in a room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter