Trading Pins

There are "SPECIAL" pins that are VERY LIMITED in the number that Disney creates.

Over the last 10 years I have been lucky enough to attend several PIN EVENTS at EPCOT - Walt Disney World.

These events are 3 day affairs that give pin collectors several opportunities to have pin collecting and trading experiences that you would not get just visiting the parks. These events offer opportunities to purchase very limited edition pins that are made just for this annual event. They also offer the ability to trade with other collectors from all over the world (California, Japan, China, etc.). I have made some great friendships due to all the nice people that you meet at these events.

Last, these events hold an auction of exclusive pins. These pins range from proof sets of limited editions to One-of-A-Kind pins. I was able to successfully bid on one of these "One-of-A-Kind" pins. It was a prototype pin from Labor Day 2001. It has all of the Disney Villans on the pin. Disney made this pin with a purple background but the one I have has a gold background. It is the only one that Disney ever made of this pin.

Wow, sounds like those are some neat events to go to. Glad you were able to snag a good set.

MrsMears said:
What type of backing does everyone use to keep their pins secure? We lost two pins on our last trip.. brand new purchases :guilty:

We never use the preface holes on backing"ears". Always too loose. We make a second hole with pin and it stays tight and doesn't slip off. Learned is the hard way.

Another place for pins is Disney store. We watch for any that go on sale and use those as our trading pins to save money. We bought three sets of ketchup and mustard condiment pins for like $3 a set on sale at Disney store, used them to get needed pins for a collection son was working on.

Forgot to mention we found pin board at POR was great, always good turnover and interesting pins. They keep it at back of store off of main lobby, by item pickup and guest service counter. Not sure if other resorts have same or not.

Trading really is a fun hobby, amazed that wife and I have as much fun as our kids do with it. Thrill of the hunt can be addicting!

Forgot to mention we found pin board at POR was great, always good turnover and interesting pins. They keep it at back of store off of main lobby, by item pickup and guest service counter. Not sure if other resorts have same or not.

Trading really is a fun hobby, amazed that wife and I have as much fun as our kids do with it. Thrill of the hunt can be addicting!

Oh very cool! I'll have to check that out:thumbsup2

I have started using the locking pin backs on my lanyard but those are the ones I don't trade. I carry a small fannypack with the pins that I am going to trade.

Great idea. :)

We never use the preface holes on backing"ears". Always too loose. We make a second hole with pin and it stays tight and doesn't slip off. Learned is the hard way.

Another place for pins is Disney store. We watch for any that go on sale and use those as our trading pins to save money. We bought three sets of ketchup and mustard condiment pins for like $3 a set on sale at Disney store, used them to get needed pins for a collection son was working on.

The only problem with making a new hole is when you trade that pin (or another with that back) it can cause problems for the new person who gets it. I can't tell you how many pins I've traded for, put the back on and then stabbed myself in the finger because the post goes all the way through. :( It hurts! lol

? I think this is referring to someplace in WDW not DL. POR? Not a term I'm familiar with.......definitely not a place with a main lobby.....lol

:rotfl2:

The only problem with making a new hole is when you trade that pin (or another with that back) it can cause problems for the new person who gets it. I can't tell you how many pins I've traded for, put the back on and then stabbed myself in the finger because the post goes all the way through. :( It hurts! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter