Trading Pins

DisneytheKid

A bad attempt at Billy the Kid
So I have read a lot recently about cast members that will trade pins with you and think this sounds like a neat idea. Can anyone help me out with this? Is there a certain store at DLR you go to to buy pins? Are there certain ones that the CM's trade with you? Is there any type of trading etiquette? Thanks in advance for the help!

odpt.com, you will find a lot of your questions answered there.

Basics are it's pin for pin when you trade with CMs. If the CM already has the pin you are trying to give them on their lanyard they cannot accept it from you, they can only accept new pins not duplicates. Pins can be purchased all over both parks, at the World of Disney in DTD, at the character warehouse (sometimes) and at the Disney Store or Disneystore.com. Each CM can trade 2 pins per person maximum so if there are 4 in your group you can each trade 2 and get up to 8 pins. Teal lanyards are for children 12 and younger only.

I haven't visited DL/DCA since 2001 and I have been collecting and trading Disney Pins almost as long.

My family and I will be at DCA on June 2nd and DL on June 3rd. Anyone that would like to trade with a WDW Vet (lots of WDW pins) let me know.

I love to trade and meet some new Disney Pin collectors/traders.

What type of backing does everyone use to keep their pins secure? We lost two pins on our last trip.. brand new purchases :guilty:

What type of backing does everyone use to keep their pins secure? We lost two pins on our last trip.. brand new purchases :guilty:

They do make locking pin backs but I really only use them for very special pins that I don't plan on trading (plus they are much more expensive than the regular rubber pin backs). I just use the ones that come with the pins. You can by extra pin backs. They are sold almost everywhere you can buy pins in the parks.

If you are loosing pins, check your lanyard every so often and push the pin and the back together to make sure they are tight.

For traders I simply use the regular Mickey head backs, but for keepers I use locking backs. They are sold in the parks and come with a small allen wrench for putting them on and taking them off. I have not lost a pin with a locking back yet, but I have lost pins with the regular Mickey backs.

I have not seen the book from the last post during all of the years that I have been collecting and trading pins. Not to say that it is not informative but there are also other places to learn about pin trading and collecting such as:

www.pinpics.com

www.disneypins.com

If you have any specific pin questions, I would be happy to answer them. Send me your questions via private message before Tuesday as I am leaving Tuesday AM for the West Coast.

If you have more specific questions feel free to simply put them here. I'm more than happy to answer what I can for you. We've been pin trading for about 5 years now....

Thanks for the help everyone! I don't know if its that I have a bunch of questions as much as it is I find this pin trading thing very interesting and am sure that I will have questions as I learn more...:) I suppose a couple questions are:

1. Are there different levels of pins? I.e If there is a level A pin it would be offensive to offer a level B pin for trading...

2. Are there pins that are valuable or are collected like some collect coins or is this mainly a hobby for trading?

I'm sure as I keep reading on the topic I will come up with more questions. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help everyone! I don't know if its that I have a bunch of questions as much as it is I find this pin trading thing very interesting and am sure that I will have questions as I learn more...:) I suppose a couple questions are:

1. Are there different levels of pins? I.e If there is a level A pin it would be offensive to offer a level B pin for trading...

There are rack pins, Hidden Mickey pins, Limited Edition pins, pins from Disney Auctions, pins from the Soda Fountain. All are different levels depending on the person collecting them. Rack pins are pins anyone can buy off the rack, they are not limited edition or anything like that. Hidden Mickey pins are tradeable with CM's or you can attempt to purchase them in mystery packs, altho mystery packs are not always available. LE pins are limited in number, sometimes they are very collectible, sometimes not. Edition sizes vary based on pins. Soda Fountain pins can only be purchased at the soda fountain, these are usually LE pins and can be highly sought after by those of us who do not go to the SF. Disney Auctions is a now defunct site that used to sell really nice LE pins for great prices, these are very sought after. I have quite a few Maleficent DA pins in my collection, I found mine on eBay.

2. Are there pins that are valuable or are collected like some collect coins or is this mainly a hobby for trading?

For us it's mainly a hobby for trading, I've sold a few "extras" on eBay but I don't make much from it so I don't do it very often. That said, I do not like trading for scrappers, it may be simply a hobby but I like to keep it honest and not trade scrappers. I know I have in the past but now I try not to. :)

I'm sure as I keep reading on the topic I will come up with more questions. Thanks for the help!

Please do ask, we are here to help. :)

There are "SPECIAL" pins that are VERY LIMITED in the number that Disney creates.

Over the last 10 years I have been lucky enough to attend several PIN EVENTS at EPCOT - Walt Disney World.

These events are 3 day affairs that give pin collectors several opportunities to have pin collecting and trading experiences that you would not get just visiting the parks. These events offer opportunities to purchase very limited edition pins that are made just for this annual event. They also offer the ability to trade with other collectors from all over the world (California, Japan, China, etc.). I have made some great friendships due to all the nice people that you meet at these events.

Last, these events hold an auction of exclusive pins. These pins range from proof sets of limited editions to One-of-A-Kind pins. I was able to successfully bid on one of these "One-of-A-Kind" pins. It was a prototype pin from Labor Day 2001. It has all of the Disney Villans on the pin. Disney made this pin with a purple background but the one I have has a gold background. It is the only one that Disney ever made of this pin.

There are "SPECIAL" pins that are VERY LIMITED in the number that Disney creates.

Over the last 10 years I have been lucky enough to attend several PIN EVENTS at EPCOT - Walt Disney World.

These events are 3 day affairs that give pin collectors several opportunities to have pin collecting and trading experiences that you would not get just visiting the parks. These events offer opportunities to purchase very limited edition pins that are made just for this annual event. They also offer the ability to trade with other collectors from all over the world (California, Japan, China, etc.). I have made some great friendships due to all the nice people that you meet at these events.

Last, these events hold an auction of exclusive pins. These pins range from proof sets of limited editions to One-of-A-Kind pins. I was able to successfully bid on one of these "One-of-A-Kind" pins. It was a prototype pin from Labor Day 2001. It has all of the Disney Villans on the pin. Disney made this pin with a purple background but the one I have has a gold background. It is the only one that Disney ever made of this pin.

Thanks for the great information Bob! I love that there are so many layers to this!

Adding some questions to DisneytheKids thread.. hope you don't mind.

Are there any locations you recommend to visit for pin trading? (Aside from any castmembers you see). We just started trading at our visit last year and mainly just found various castmembers.

Thanks!

Adding some questions to DisneytheKids thread.. hope you don't mind.

Are there any locations you recommend to visit for pin trading? (Aside from any castmembers you see). We just started trading at our visit last year and mainly just found various castmembers.

Thanks!

They do have books out at the Ranch, I'm not sure where because we didn't look when we were there last. I do expect to find them next trip but all I know right now is they were moved to the Big Thunder Ranch area.

I have started using the locking pin backs on my lanyard but those are the ones I don't trade. I carry a small fannypack with the pins that I am going to trade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter