• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trading Pins from Ebay

Oh the pin back....got it. lol I couldn't figure what you meant. lol Ok I don't know much about the muppet or cutie sets but I do know that the Snow White snowflake is scrapped a lot. I have 3 or 4 of them that are fake. The best way to tell on those is to look at the back, the "good" pins should have 2 small nubs by the pin post, the "bad" ones have a different type of post without the 2 nubs.

Oh the pin back....got it. lol I couldn't figure what you meant. lol Ok I don't know much about the muppet or cutie sets but I do know that the Snow White snowflake is scrapped a lot. I have 3 or 4 of them that are fake. The best way to tell on those is to look at the back, the "good" pins should have 2 small nubs by the pin post, the "bad" ones have a different type of post without the 2 nubs.

Oh no! They have no nubs...

That one's a scrapper. Is that true for all pins?

I sent a message to BBBC about how I think that the pins may be scrappers...
me said:
Dear bibbidi_bobbidi_boo_colectibles,

I believe that many of the pins I received from this auction are scrappers. First, the backers are not the same that I get either from buying the backers directly from Disney or buying the pins off the rack at Disney. Also, the font used for the copyright on the back of the pin is different than all of my other pins. Finally, you seem to have a lot of the same exact pins, since you use the same picture for every auction, and I received exactly the same pins as in the picture. Could you please provide documentation that these pins are in fact real Disney pins?

- *Name Removed*

Here is their response:
BBBC said:
Dear *Name Removed*,

First, The pins are made by a licensed manufacture that supplies Disney. I use the same picture cause I am not gonna take a new one for every auctions. If you are dissatisfied with the pins, You can return them for a full refund,

I assure you the my items are not fake. The ones that do sell fake pins, sell you a lot of 100 pins with cast pins and LEs. when you look at the pins. The same LE and cast pins that are normally limited have gone around ebay millions of times. I sell small traders, for those who buy can go trade them selves for what they really want. I don't mention that if you buy so many I will send you alphabet letters like others do. What they don't tell you is that all the letters are fake

Please let me know what you wish to do

- bibbidi_bobbidi_boo_colectibles

Thanks for the update! Can you please lay the pins over on there faces and take pics of there backs? I like the fact she is willing to refund money!

OK, here's my take. I agree with Pixie Wings, the snowflake pins have been scrapped a lot, however I cannot tell, just by looking at them if they are fake. However, my son has the entire set (traded @ DL which is where this set is "from") and all of his hav the "nubs" on the back, so I would feel confident in saying those are definitely fake.

As far as the "cuties" (many of the starter sets are/were called cuties, i.e., miniature versions of characters) it is possible the seller acquired a WHOLE LOT of authentic starter sets, but, in my opinion, unlikely. I must admit that I have not heard of the cuties being part of the current "scrappers" so I really can't say for sure...:confused3 Since all the pins you posted are part of "starter sets" I really can't say for sure.

I guess one of the "red flags" for me is that these pins (all from starter sets) you said came in plastic bags right? Then the seller bought the bags and put the pins in them, because, from my knowledge none of the starter sets had bags to be put in (were on cardboard backing in a box).

As far as the "Tink as Goofy" pins, these are almost definitely scrappers. I haven't read anything as such, but I bought the "real" pin last year (maybe before) and on my most recent trip, there was one on almost every CM lanyard, which would indicate to me they are "mass produced" i.e., scrappers. I also saw TONS of the sorcerer Mickey's, Dumbo & the others on our recent trip. Now, by saying that I am only suggesting they are scrappers because there were SO many of them around. I do have one of the Dumbo pins @ home that I will look at and report back.

Mountnittany..here's my opinion, and take it for what it's worth.

IMHO, this seller is DEFINITELY part of the HUGE problem of Ebay selling scrappers. There is just no logical explanation why someone would have such a HUGE amount of "authentic" Disney pins and sell them SO inexpensively.

I am a CM, and I have bought pins on occasion at ROCK bottom prices (in DL mostly). And even at that price point, buying discontinued starter kits, the individual price of each pin was MORE than what this person is selling them for.

Now, there are 4 VERY active pin traders in my family, so when I saw these starter sets, I bought up all they had. I'm talking buying directly from Disney mind you, and there was NOWHERE NEAR even 150 total pins for SALE to everyone, let alone me.

If this person can give me a truthful and logical explanation as to how they got these pins in this quantity, and how they can sell them for such a low price, then I may be able to humor the idea that they are legit.

The ONLY explanation I could come up with (which makes no sense either) is that they are "authentic" pins that were stolen from Disney. The reason that theory makes no sense is that there is never that quantity of the same type pin on Disney shelves, unless they lifted them from several different Disney retailers. Even then, it is impossible.

At the end of the day, after all the investigating, pondering, looking and watching, one thing continues to ring true. If it seems too good to be true..it probably is.

Anybody have any other thoughts???

Oh no! They have no nubs...

That one's a scrapper. Is that true for all pins?

No, it isn't true for all pins, but the newer ones it is true for. It's so hard to tell sometimes, you get a great lot that you think perfect but you just never know. It's very frustrating. I've even received scrappers that had the 2 nubs on the back but I know they were scrappers because the back stamp was wrong, it said "hidden mickey pin 2 of 6" when in reality it's pin number 4. And the pin post itself was really bad, it looked like it was scorched around it. I also got one that was in the ice sculture series from DL and it was made from aluminum, the paint they used on the back rubbed off on my fingers. OMG, it was HORRIBLE! These seller really rely on people not knowing or not caring that they have fakes. Rack pins CAN be scrappers but it's not as common as it is for hidden mickeys to be scrapped. I think I'd just return the pins you got, get your refund and go elsewhere for pins. Also you said that you got the pins in plastic baggies right? WHY would someone have all those pins and repackage them? When I've purchased pins from thewill he sends them in the package or on the backings. Not every one of them of course but a lot of them come on the card. I bought a lot of 4 from him, they came all together in the original box. I have no idea where he got them but it would make no sense to repackage them into plastic baggies. Also sending duplicates is a red flag for me as well. I really think you should return them, but that's JMO so please don't feel pressure by me at all! :goodvibes

Stolen, yes possibly but how and where would they steal so many pins? And if you had stolen that many would you put them on eBay? Probably not.....

Ok I can't take it anymore....I'm going to buy a lot of 20 from BBBC just to see what I get. I'm sure I'll be out $24 but my mind will be ease and I'll be able to report with my opinion. So here I go, off to buy 20 pins from someone I highly suspect is selling scrappers. Wish me luck.....

The absolute ROCK BOTTOM cheapest pins I have ever purchased were the ones from the Disney Store that clearanced out for $1.99 each + 8.25% tax a couple of years ago. I *might* have had a 15% off coupon, so MAYBE $1.69 plus tax. I bought 150 or so (we used to have 6 Disney Stores in out area, and I bought every pin in every store). My family traded all of them over a couple of trips. They were smaller than pins you would buy in the parks, but still authentic Disney pins. I think the full price was $5.

Last year I bought a ton of pin sets on clearance from Disney Shopping - those worked out to about $3 per pin + tax and I got free shipping with my Disney Visa.

There really is no legitimate way to come to possess thousands of pins that can be sold at a profit for under $2 each, even if the seller gouges on shipping.

These eBay sellers are ordering direct from the Chinese counterfeiters. At one time there was an e-mail that someone posted on Pin Pics where the company in China was MARKETING their fake pins with pics of both the front and back to show what fine quality fakes they had to offer. Those pins were pennies apiece.

The only way to buy authentic pins on eBay is to find someone who is getting out of pin collecting and is liquidating their personal collection. But even then, there will probably be fakes in the lot because anybody who has traded in the parks is going to have fakes, thanks to eBay. :mad:

lion, I believe that this seller is unknowingly purchasing scrappers. In her response to me, she said
The pins are made by a licensed manufacture that supplies Disney.
Who would say that they bought the pins from a manufacturer that supplies Disney? That is an immediate red flag. She must not know that the same manufacturers that supply Disney manufacture scrappers.

I don't know what to do about the pins. I think I'll take them to Disney and ask Art the Doorman at the Beach Club. He is very knowledgable in the area of pins, and I'm sure he will point me in the right direction.

BBBC just messaged me this:

In the future the only way to know you purchased authentic
pins is buy them at Disney

I don't know what to think of it.

Ok I can't take it anymore....I'm going to buy a lot of 20 from BBBC just to see what I get. I'm sure I'll be out $24 but my mind will be ease and I'll be able to report with my opinion. So here I go, off to buy 20 pins from someone I highly suspect is selling scrappers. Wish me luck.....

GL!

They are selling individual pins for 1.20 a piece with free shipping.

That's what I bought, I got 20 so I should receive no duplicates. Let's see what happens. :) And yes, I wonder what she means by saying she gets them the same suppliers as Disney. Are you going to return them?

That's what I bought, I got 20 so I should receive no duplicates. Let's see what happens. :) And yes, I wonder what she means by saying she gets them the same suppliers as Disney. Are you going to return them?

I'm going to take them to Disney and see what CMs and Traders say, and then try to return them if they are scrappers. If not, I will just keep them. I really don't care if I have scrappers, and I like them. They look like real pins, and they feel like them too. I won't be able to tell the difference in my pin book. I just don't want to trade scrappers to CMs or other traders.

That's what we will do too. Let us know what you find out from the CMs please.

That's what we will do too. Let us know what you find out from the CMs please.

Np. I'm going the 14th to the 20th of June, and I believe that I may have internet access, although I am not sure. I may even decide to post a trip report, and include my pin trades too.

OMG. That is so crappy. This BBBC needs to be reported. So I ordered 25 pins from mousepins is there anything I should be looking for when I got them. I have heard good things about them but also saw once that they are not good to deal with.

I believe that the sets are real. I have emailed many people that own the pins, and their description of the pins are very similar to my pins. They are all weighted correctly also. I will keep all of the random pins, since they are all scrappers, according to this discussion. I think I lucked out on the others, though.

Alright. I looked even closer:magnify: and I believe I lucked out on every pin but the Sorceror, Tink, Dumbo, and Snow White pins. The backstamp fonts are exactly the same as my rack pins on the sets and Pluto. What should I do with pins that I know are scrappers? Also, if Art is unsure about the others, do you think that it is okay to trade those pins, since I think that they are real?
Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter