• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trading Pins from Ebay

I'm not advocating poor ethics, but I wonder how many of the same traders downloaded songs or movies using Napster-like software programs. Millions of people were doing that a short while ago and it cost the music and film industry a ton of money.

Exactly. So, why would anyone do that to Disney, a place we're all supposed to love so much? :confused3

I have read this thread all the way to the beginning (not all in one sitting, or I would be blind!) And this post I agree the most with. I think knowingly putting counterfeit pins into circulation is wrong, but I do think the witchhunt that is going on in this thread is equally wrong.
Not accusing, but just devil's advocate, who is to say that one of the "approved" ebay sellers is not a poster, trying to promote their own auctions?
I think that if you have first-hand knowledge as to the quality of pins sold by a seller, it should be shared. I don't think that we have the right to bash a seller based on speculation.
I have a particular seller I have bought from over the last year or so, and am pretty sure they are sending me legitimate pins. They list (and ship) from the Orlando area, and the lots I have won are mixes of HM and rack pins. However, I pause to share the name of what I deem to be a good seller, because of the accusations which have been thrown around on this thread.

I appreciate your comments, and actually reading the entire thread (no easy feat :lmao:). However, I wanted to point out that the sellers listed here as "scrapper" sellers have been listed by those DISer's who (for the most part) have had direct dealings with these sellers. The others listed have the "characterstics" of selling scrappers. I re-read several of the posts and all of them indicate that they "appear" or "probably" are selling scrappers. No one (that I saw) saw absolutely they are selling scrappers if they didn't have direct dealings with them. So I think your description of this thread being a "witch hunt" is totally inappropriate (just my opinion). Quite the contrary, there is a lot of valuable information and lessons learned being shared here which is the intent all along.

As far as some of the posters being ebay sellers trying to "boost" their own auctions, I could see how someone might think that. However, if you look at the other postings by the majority of people on this thread, you can see their previous postings and get an idea of who they are. As for me in particular, I've been a DIS member since 2005 with over 3,000 posts, and I can tell you that I'm not advocating anyone for any other reason than to share positive experiences with.

I'm very glad you read the thread and posted your comments, I thought they were well intentioned. But I think some of the "message" that I'm trying to convey is getting lost. The only thing I'm advocating here is to educate pin buyers as to what scrappers are, who is selling them, and who is not. And trying to get those who are selling scrappers out of business in any way possible; including "bashing" them on this thread.

I got my pins from hppydiztrader today. They look legit. They have the Mickey backs and WDW pricetags on the cards. My only complaint is the package reeks of cigarette smoke. I took the pins out of the bags and envelope and put them in a new bag. Hopefully that will solve the smell issue. I think it was mostly in the packaging.
Here are the pics:
This one is all of the pins:
IMG_2947.jpg

This one is of the pins that had more than one layer to them:
IMG_2949.jpg

These were labeled as first release:
IMG_2950.jpg

These were the ones that have some moving feature:
IMG_2954.jpg

Another picture of the moving pins:
IMG_2955.jpg

I tested the weight against ones that I got on our cruise and they feel heavy like the cruise ones.
I think they are legit, but I'm sure some of you guys are more knowledgable?
Rachel

These are all rack pins, great purchase! I'm really sorry they smell of smoke..ICK! I hope you tell the seller this and hopefully they can do something to alleviate the smell in the future. I can also tell you that the "Mickey as Jack Skellington" pin was sold out everywhere when I went last November (luckily I got one for each of my family) and we just LOVE it! There are no scrappers in this lot!

Been lurking a few weeks - now registered and this is first post :yay: Have read all thread !!! Am coming over in Aug and am going to get my son a lanyard and some pins - will stick to disney shops :) Wanted him to trade with CMs - good for confidence, striking up conversation etc but have been put off a bit as read that some CMs have scrappers so, do you suggest just stick to buying from shops etc to collect and not to trade initially until we get a bit more clued up on which are authentic pins ? :confused3

Been lurking a few weeks - now registered and this is first post :yay: Have read all thread !!! Am coming over in Aug and am going to get my son a lanyard and some pins - will stick to disney shops :) Wanted him to trade with CMs - good for confidence, striking up conversation etc but have been put off a bit as read that some CMs have scrappers so, do you suggest just stick to buying from shops etc to collect and not to trade initially until we get a bit more clued up on which are authentic pins ? :confused3

First of all :welcome:

Second - Go and enjoy. Let your son trade with the CMs. :) Don't worry if you gets a couple of scrappers in the mix. If he is doing this for fun then it won't really matter. And to be honest, its really hard to tell scrappers unless they are sitting next to each other. :confused3 And as I told all my friends going crazy over Beanie Babies many years ago, they are not going to pay for a college education. Collect them if you enjoy them but not for investment possibilities. :rotfl2:

I understand the issue that some of the serious traders have with the introduction of fakes into the system. I'm not advocating poor ethics, but I wonder how many of the same traders downloaded songs or movies using Napster-like software programs. Millions of people were doing that a short while ago and it cost the music and film industry a ton of money.

I NEVER did this.....my ex husband did but I did not. Just for the record.

And I do not perceive this thread at all as a "witch-hunt". It is simply those of us who have purchased pins from eBayers letting others know our experiences.
I agree with LionQueen on her points. :)

To the PP who purchased from happydiztrader, the stuff I received from them also smelled of smoke, I simply let it air out in my garage and they were fine after. :) Thanks for posting your photos as well.

And I've purchased from gyantzpod many times and loved every purchase made thru them. Very happy with their quality. :)

Finally, I got my wins from gitanoman and I am extremely happy with them!! Very good quality and not a scrapper that I could tell in the bunch! :)

I'm very glad you read the thread and posted your comments, I thought they were well intentioned. But I think some of the "message" that I'm trying to convey is getting lost. The only thing I'm advocating here is to educate pin buyers as to what scrappers are, who is selling them, and who is not. And trying to get those who are selling scrappers out of business in any way possible; including "bashing" them on this thread.

Do you truly know what a scrapper pin is? Scrappers aren't just pins that were rejected due to manufacturing flaws. They are any Disney pin sold from the factories directly to consumers instead of being shipped to Disney. They are basically just "extra" pins that the factory sells to other vendors besides Disney.

Why do I think this is a witchhunt? Because you are ready to bash sellers on your "expert opinion."

Since you are such an expert, I am sure you know that rack pins can be scrappers. Technically any Disney pin can be a scrapper.

I have seen lists of pins that have been sold to the secondary market and they include the Mickey as Jack, Mickey with the Coffee Cup, the Twighlight Terror of Terror Lenticular, the Lightening McQueen, the Stormtrooper eating a Mickey Bar, The Dragon Mickey Icon, the Wizards of Waverly, the British Flag, and the Thank Goodness it is Friday. The Mickey as Jack and the Mickey with Coffee Cup were stamped First Release but technically they would still be considered "scrappers" since they were sold from the factory and not from Disney.

All these pins you have labeled in another post as "non-scrappers." My point is that it is just your opinion because they could very well be scrappers. You don't know because you aren't the seller and you don't have the pins in hand to do a side by side comparison.

Also pins on black cards doesn't mean they aren't scrappers either. Guess what, the factories sell the cards to other people besides Disney too.

Ariel53098 could have very well bought legitimate pins but they also could be scrappers. The fact of the matter is no one can really prove whether they are legit or not unless the person bought them directly from Disney and has a receipt to prove it. So before you start labeling sellers as "scrapper sellers" or "legit sellers", just remember it is just your opinion. Remember that when you are "bashing" someone with your "expert" opinion.

missj, would you mind sharing your list here? Or telling us where you've seen it? You are correct of course, the only way to ensure the legitimacy of your pins is to purchase them from Disney directly. But people do clear out collections, buy collections to sell on eBay etc etc. This is not a witch hunt, this is simply some fellow collectors giving their opinion on the pins they have received from eBay, at least for the most part it is. :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Do you truly know what a scrapper pin is? Scrappers aren't just pins that were rejected due to manufacturing flaws. They are any Disney pin sold from the factories directly to consumers instead of being shipped to Disney. They are basically just "extra" pins that the factory sells to other vendors besides Disney.

Why do I think this is a witchhunt? Because you are ready to bash sellers on your "expert opinion."

Since you are such an expert, I am sure you know that rack pins can be scrappers. Technically any Disney pin can be a scrapper.

I have seen lists of pins that have been sold to the secondary market and they include the Mickey as Jack, Mickey with the Coffee Cup, the Twighlight Terror of Terror Lenticular, the Lightening McQueen, the Stormtrooper eating a Mickey Bar, The Dragon Mickey Icon, the Wizards of Waverly, the British Flag, and the Thank Goodness it is Friday. The Mickey as Jack and the Mickey with Coffee Cup were stamped First Release but technically they would still be considered "scrappers" since they were sold from the factory and not from Disney.

All these pins you have labeled in another post as "non-scrappers." My point is that it is just your opinion because they could very well be scrappers. You don't know because you aren't the seller and you don't have the pins in hand to do a side by side comparison.

Also pins on black cards doesn't mean they aren't scrappers either. Guess what, the factories sell the cards to other people besides Disney too.

Ariel53098 could have very well bought legitimate pins but they also could be scrappers. The fact of the matter is no one can really prove whether they are legit or not unless the person bought them directly from Disney and has a receipt to prove it. So before you start labeling sellers as "scrapper sellers" or "legit sellers", just remember it is just your opinion. Remember that when you are "bashing" someone with your "expert" opinion.

It looks like you didn't take the time to read this thread; can't say as I blame you, but it would have helped with your reply. I have stated, and stand by my knowledge of pin trading. I have "thrown around" my "expert opinion" and stand by my postings as such. However, the reason I can tell you didn't read (or if you did possibly misunderstood) is your last statement.

You asked if I actually know what a scrapper is. I can tell you what I've been told by Disney Legal which is different than you posted. I don't know which is true, but I will lean towards the company response. I was told, in person, on the phone by a Disney legal rep, that "scrappers" are pins that are produced with substandard materials, from the same molds as authentic Disney pins. Disney "orders" a specific amount of pins at a specific price point. Once that quota is met, the manufacturers create pins above the amount Disney authorized with the remaining materials left from the original order. Thus making the quality of the pins far below the Disney standard. This explains the difference in weight, color and quality. So, do I know this for fact? No, just what I've been told, but considering the source I would answer your question as yes, I do know what a scrapper is.

You stated this is a "witch hunt" because I'm bashing sellers on my expert opinion. Yes I have stated my opinion over and over. But I thought I took careful consideration to post that it is my opinion when I hadn't had actual dealings with sellers (though others on this thread have). That said, I will again, for the record post this. I have PERSONALLY had ACTUAL transactions with over 11 sellers on ebay. I have PERSONALLY received pins from all of these sellers. Of these 11 DIFFERENT sellers, I have only SPECIFICALLY commented on 5 (although only 3 are "legit" sellers). I HAVE dealt directly with Disney on all of these "scrapper sellers".

You stated that "I'm such an expert" I should know that rack pins can be scrappers. This indicates again that you did not read all the posts on this thread (again, not blaming you for not reading them all, there is a lot). I have posted several times that the majority of the time rack pins are not scrappers. I did post specifically that I hadn't seen any rack pins as scrappers to date, that the majority of pins that are scrappers are cast lanyards. I don't believe I ever posted that no rack pins could ever be scrappers, I posted that in my opinion, rack pins are generally safe, and for the most part, cast lanyards are scrappers. I don't think I ever specifically claimed that rack pins can never be scrappers (again, not saying for absolute certain, just my thought).

Also, no one has EVER stated on this thread, that because they have backs they are legit. What has been mentioned is that, by having the backs, buyers (and those on this thread) feel more comfortable bidding on them when they have the backs and are not in baggies.
It could be very easy to put scrappers on the black backs, but for the most part. Those scrapper sellers selling thousands of pins a day don't have the backs or the time (or desire) to put them on the backs (again my opinion-not stating fact).

While I enjoy and respect reading all opinions and posts, I think before you post on a subject, it would carry more credibility if you take the time to read ALL the posts. From the comments of this post it appears that you took a comment made here or there and posted a broad and unsubstantiated response. Again, my opinion, not stating fact.

I am going to attempt, once again,to post my intent

This thread is an attempt to educate those who don't know about scrapped pins, the information they can use to make their own decisions. Buy from whomever they feel informed and comfortable with. To "bash" those ebay sellers who are clearly (and confirmed) as selling scrappers. And to provide a resource for those sellers who are "legit" (again confirmed by actual transactions). To provide my knowledge, experience, and opinion regarding pin trading for those who are new to the hobby.

I am NOT advocating any ebay seller, I am NOT trying to ruin anyone's reputation that hasn't earned it by their actions. I am NOT presenting myself as the "King (or Queen) Pin trading master of the universe. Again, for those who do not read all the posts, and attempt to label someone unfairly, maybe reading one's own advice would be step one. Before "bashing" someone who posts comments on this thread, being completely familiar with what has and has not been stated would be appropriate.

I AM posting my experience, referrals and opinion to anyone who asks. I AM working diligently to do whatever I can to alert anyone and everyone to those ebay sellers that knowingly sell scrappers with no regard for anyone. And I AM proud of what I'm doing, what I've done, and will continue to stand by everything I've posted on this thread and every other post on the DIS. :thumbsup2

I am glad to find this thread, I think anything that can make us more educated and savvy shoppers is a good thing! I must admit, I have always resisted the pin trading because it didn't completely make sense to me. I mean if you are buying pins to start out with- for me I would be buying ones that I liked and wouldn't want to trade....but the ebay option made it make sense to me, to buy a lot of pins and trade ones you didn't care about, but I didn't know about scrappers at the time. I have awhile to decide what I want to do before the next trip....

Thanks for all the info! I will keep reading!

I am glad to find this thread, I think anything that can make us more educated and savvy shoppers is a good thing! I must admit, I have always resisted the pin trading because it didn't completely make sense to me. I mean if you are buying pins to start out with- for me I would be buying ones that I liked and wouldn't want to trade....but the ebay option made it make sense to me, to buy a lot of pins and trade ones you didn't care about, but I didn't know about scrappers at the time. I have awhile to decide what I want to do before the next trip....

Thanks for all the info! I will keep reading!

Some of the pins out there can't be purchased. Hidden Mickey lanyard pins are only available thru trading. They did sell them for a while, in a "mystery" pouch but I didn't see any the last few times I was at the Land. That's why we trade. :)

Some of the pins out there can't be purchased. Hidden Mickey lanyard pins are only available thru trading. They did sell them for a while, in a "mystery" pouch but I didn't see any the last few times I was at the Land. That's why we trade. :)

I think I tend to get attached to things too easy :lmao: I am worried I won't be willing to part with any! I would like to try it though- I think I would enjoy it!

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Pin trading is very addictive. I thought this would just be something that my girls would do. But the entire family got into it and it got a little competitive too. My DDs would have to take turns to be the first to trade with a CM.

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Pin trading is very addictive. I thought this would just be something that my girls would do. But the entire family got into it and it got a little competitive too. My DDs would have to take turns to be the first to trade with a CM.

:rotfl2:

I will consider myself warned!

It is addictive and competitive. We had to make a "family rule" that we would get 1 set for the family first and then after that we could decide what of the kids wanted a set for themselves. LOL But it's fun and it's worth it, brings us together as a family and that's what counts for us. :)

I opened up my grab bag e-bay pins tonight (from a seller given the thumbs up in this thread) and checked them against pinpics.com.

Then, I asked bf to check a few that I'd set aside (both suspect pins and others for comparision). Between what he and I picked out by feel and by strange flaws (the face of one of them is just a blotch of color with a tiny bit of metal for eyes), there are 8 out of 24 that I'm not sure about.

Should I contact the seller to seek resolution (refund of 1/3 of what I've paid, or swap out) or just chock it up to a learning experience and keep the pins at home? I definately won't be trading the suspicious ones at the park.

I got great and positive service from the seller but 1/3 scrappers in a pin lot seems high.

Maybe ANY kind of grab bag just opens you up to this?

I also bought one of the lots from retiredreadingspecialist and most of them look great. There are none that stand out like in the other group I got.

I think with lots you really just have to chance it. I've been buying individual pins for trading but then you run into the whole extra shipping per pin which makes it more costly. What you do from here is really up to you TammyLynn, if you decide to contact the seller I hope you get good resolution. I've seen smaller lots from happydiz and sleepy that seemed good but I haven't bought any lots from them so I just don't know......

Yes, pin trading is BIG TIME addictive and can become very expensive! I literally have to plan our pin buying budget up to a year in advance. Buying pins for 4 ACTIVE traders/collectors (my DH 7 2 DS's) is NOT cheap. But it is a big part of our Disney experience, and worth every penny IMHO :thumbsup2

We also have "family rules" when it comes to pin trading. Whoever sees a lanyard first has first "dibs" (we used to all run over to be first in line..sigh). We also keep an eye out for whatever someone else is looking for. That way at the end of the night, if we got something for someone else, we would trade it. Also at the end of the night, we all get out our lanyards and books and review the treasures we got during the day. We organize and put away, and get the traders out for the next day. We love pin trading! We budget $300-$500 per trip for pins; we just can't help it.

BTW, we also use cork boards in our books, WONDERFUL!!!

I've been following this thread with interest for awhile now. I had decided to try a little pin trading on my May trip, so I came to this board looking for tips. I had no idea there was any such thing as a scrapper, nor that that's a rampant pin trading problem now. Oy.

I'm planning on buying a few pins at one of the Disney Outlet stores outside of WDW so I can save some money that way. So at least I don't have to worry about the pins I'm trading away being scrappers.

lion, or anyone else, can you give me some tips on how to avoid these scrappers and other fake pins? I have such limited pin knowledge that I have no way of distinguishing a scrapper from a real pin. I've only ever bought two pins off of Ebay, one still on the card, and one gift with purchase pin still in the little plastic wrap. Otherwise, I've bought all of my pins in WDW. I saw things to look for like the coloring on the scrapper Donald Music Hidden Mickey pin is darker than the colors on the real pin, but I don't have specific pins in mind to trade for beyond that one. Now I'm worried I'll trade a real pin, which I paid for, for junk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter