Trading into DVC

dive-in

Earning My Ears
We rented points at VWL 1 1/2 years ago and loved it. We considered buying DVC at that time but didn't. This year's big trip was to Hawaii where we bought a Marriott time share on Poipu Beach on Kauai.

Now we are looking at going back to Disney next year and are wondering about trading our Hawaii week through Interval International for one of the DVC properties. They tell us that Hawaii weeks are a hot commodity but I'm sure the DVC properties are high on the list as well. We are willing to stay offsite which I think we can get quite easily but the Disney Magic is certainly nice to absorb.

Questions:
  • Given I'm trying to trade Hawaii for DVC, does anyone know how likely I am to get a DVC 2BR villa in November (not the week of Thanksgiving!!) or early December, 2006 doing an exchange? I'm trying to plan ahead to increase our changes of getting one.
  • I'm new to timeshares so I'm wondering if you can do your own exchanging on a board like this? Can I trade a week in Hawaii for a DVC member's week here?

Thanks for the info.

If Dean doesn't respond to this inquiry, find one of his posts and PM him with that question. He is one of our resident timeshare experts.

I would post on the rent/trade board. I would think someone would want a direct trade to HI. If you do post, don't forget to put in the post all the important info. If your location is for 8 people, I might be interested in the future.

Your question is interesting-wish I knew the answer!

I was just stopping by to say :wave: hi neighbor.

I too think a direct trade would be the best way to go. We are looking to do Hawaii again, and while we like Kauai, we prefer the Princeville area to Poipu. Is your timeshare a specific week, or is it floating?

Another question would be what size unit you are trading. I would expect HI to DVC trades would be for like size accommodations. ie. 2 bedroom for 2 bedroom, not 1 bedroom for 2 bedroom.

I wish my kids were older enough to offer you a direct trade but I won't be able to make that trip for at least few more years.
Like Merilyn said, I'd post what you have on the rental board and see if anyone would be interested in a direct trade.

The units at that Marriott are only 2 BR non lockoff. I agree a private exchange is best for both parties. But through II, i'd figure your changes for the time you quoted are about 50/50 for any DVC 2 BR. If you specify resorts other than OKW or SSR, your chances will drop dramatically but not to zero. Thanksgiving is VERY unlikely but since you don't want then, the rest of the time is much easier. Depending on the week you have, your chances are much better for a private exchange. Just remember that if a DVC member did this through II, it would be either 254 or 270 points. Thus you are not likely to get a 2 BR for 7 nights for BWV preferred view, VWL or BCV; likely getting only 6 nights. But you likely will be BW standard view, OKW or SSR. Though if you have a true Ocean view unit, not the island view ones that might get a glimpse of the ocean, your chances will be much better.

We just came back from a one bedroom trade through II to OKW and we have a 2 bedroom OKW trade through II set up for August 2005. As Dean says trades into OKW and SSR are seen much more than for the other resorts. ALso, Jan, May, end of August and Sept are the times usually seen. Other times and resorts do come available but they are rare.

Thanks all and Howdy, TAMU91. I'm TAMU88.

It looks like I'll be investigating the direct trade route or staying off site. The specifics on the unit are it is a floating week on a 2BR/2B unit with a garden view at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club.

dive-in said:
Thanks all and Howdy, TAMU91. I'm TAMU88.

It looks like I'll be investigating the direct trade route or staying off site. The specifics on the unit are it is a floating week on a 2BR/2B unit with a garden view at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club.

Howdy, TAMU88 :laughing: You're the third Ag I've ran into in 4 weeks on this board. I'll keep you on my buddy list and see if we can work out a trade someday.

You know what, I just read your OP and we might be able to work something out. I'm trying to work a trade for my brother into Maui but if that doesn't work out, I'll be sending you a PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter