Trader Sams

dreeger

Mouseketeer
This may be a strange question, but can kids sit in Trader Sams? I wouldn't normally take my 13 year old in a bar, but I have read that it is also a restaurant and there is a fun experience inside. My DH and I would love to check it out, but we aren't sure if its ok since our teenage son will be with is.

I was told that before 8pm kids can be there. At 8 it changes and it is adults only.

ETA: This info was given to me by the CM on the Disney Dining phone line when I was making my reservations this weekend.

During the day they are for sure. I thought I read somewhere that they aren't allowed later in the evening, but when we were there in January, there were still kids inside at 7 or 8 I'm pretty sure. It was a lot of fun and they have non-alcoholic drinks as well so your son doesn't need to be left out of the drinking! ;)

We are eager to try this spot out as well. I have read the place is smaller and only holds 47 people and that in order to get a seat without much wait you need to arrive before 5 pm. They don't take reservations. I am sure the crowds varies on time of year but with such limited it seating it seems like it would fill up fairly fast.

Again, not first had experience. Just what I have read. I am sure there are others who could give a first hand account.

We have taken DD10 and DD12 in there at dinner time (around 5p.m.) Children are welcome in there, but cannot sit at the bar. The bar tender made non-alcoholic drinks for them with all the bells and whistles of the adult versions. There is even a kids menu.

Lana :)

We have taken DD10 and DD12 in there at dinner time (around 5p.m.) Children are welcome in there, but cannot sit at the bar. The bar tender made non-alcoholic drinks for them with all the bells and whistles of the adult versions. There is even a kids menu.

Lana :)

This is great to know. My DD9 and DD11 would love this place and of course I know DH and I will like it too. We are planning on having lunch here on our arrival day. My DD11 had already looked at the menu there and she already knows that she wants to try the mahi mahi tacos (she is a sucker when it comes to mahi mahi), as for me....I can't wait to get my hands on one of those adult drinks :goodvibes.

We understood it to be no kids after 8pm as well..think we read that in the DLH room directory thing :)
We took our kids in there and they loved it! Neat ambiance, fun kid drinks..
It is really small on the inside but there is a patio outside their more seating.

I didn't feel like it was too bar-like. It was like any restaurant/bar where there are tables on the outer edges of the room while bar itself is in the middle. The kids aren't allowed to sit at the bar of course, just like any bar and grill(much to my sons dismay lol)

Funny thing: As we were leaving Tangora Terrace my 6 yo son says " Wow! I cant believe I went to my first bar!"

I was there last Saturday. Place is small, tables are snatched up as soon as you stand up to put your coat on! Loud productions when certain drinks are ordered- Krakatoa Punch for example (which I found way too sweet). Some drinks come with glow cubes. Be sure to fish yours out and take it home.
I did not see a restaurant menu (although the Tangaroa Terrace is next door). Bar menu is limited but good. Pu-Pu platter was very good.

The inside is small! But so neat to look around! Stuff everywhere =) And there's cool things that happen when you order certain drinks! I love the burger with pineapple! Yum =) If too crowded inside, there's lots of outdoor seating and heaters and two great guitar players too. It's fun! Oh and a tip if there's a line for the restroom (there's only one), go next door to Tangaroa Terrace, they have a larger bathroom (more stalls).

Is it bad that the first thing out of my 7 years old's mouth was, can we still go to Trader Sam's even though we're not staying at DLH? :rolleyes:

Needless to say, my kids really enjoy this place. We use it as an afternoon break for everyone. Kids are entertained and feel like they get a special drink. We absolutely love the appetizers. We've canceled a dinner reservation more than once since we loaded up on the goodies so late in the afternoon.

Thanks everyone! I am excited to know we can go in the afternoon with our son. My husband and I went last June in the evening but it was just the two of us (other relatives were with the kids), so we really wanted to go again this trip.

It is such a nice place to relax and the couches outside are very comfortable. From 5 to 10, they have Hawaiian music (from an actual Hawaiian) and he is extremely nice to just chat with.

We took our kids to Trader Sam's for lunch during our Aug 2012 and Aug 2011 visits. We had a blast both times. It is a fav lunch spot for our family - sooooo fun!

We were there about 4 in the afternoon with DD and she really enjoyed all the "shows".

I went there with my niece (7 at the time) and it wasn't a problem. I think we were there around 5:30-6pm. It doesn't fit a lot of people but it is cozy. My niece thought it was a great place, and compared it to the tiki room. She really enjoyed her non-alcoholic drink it was the Schweitzer Falls. I tried it too, very tasty!

I am so anxious to try this! I think my kids will love to look around and the menu looks good too. I miss the Adventurer's Club so this will be the next best thing! :thumbsup2

I take my little one each time we go (making "you have a baby...in a bar" jokes to myself heh) and it's fine during the day. Be sure to try the green beans. Soo good. Oh and my fave drink is the non-alcoholic Schweitzer Falls (named after famed explorer D. Albert Falls.)

Love the Sweet Home Alabama baby/bar line!

We did go and we took DS13. We sat on the deck and he had a Schweitzer Falls and loved it. We did go inside to see the tiki bar first, but sat outside because the weather was gorgeous when we went (march 1)

This was my highlight of the Disneyland hotel our past stay. I loved the music outdoors in the evening and our daughter, age 3, loved it as well (until 8pm) The CMs made it fun for her.

I would visit Trader Sams even if we were not staying at the hotel next visit. So relaxing and enjoyable :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter