Trader Sam's - when to go??

AThrillingChase

DIS Veteran
I saw that there was a line starting around 2pm yesterday and the disneyfoodblog even mentioned the wait being 6 hours long!

I am going down May 14th so it will have been officially open for awhile by that time, but when does everyone think it will start to calm down? We have a short-ish trip so hoping to check it out without having it take too, too much time out of our day.

I also wonder if it would be smarter to go right at 4pm or to wait until more like 10pm?

I am trying to figure that out myself. lol The soft opening is currently taking place and last night was the first time open. The line was outrageously long so I didn't chance it. I may during the work week though. I'm sure it'll die down a bit as time goes on.

Right now, I think my plan is to go right at 4 and sit on the patio until our pager goes off. It sounds like the patio is much easier to get into. But, ideally, I'd like to take the monorail over on our Thurs night right after illuminations (watching from world gateway).

We are going to try when we are down there in a month. Hopefully we will be able to get in. If not we will go to Kona's and then to the Pineapple Lanai for a dole whip. So we do have a plan B.

I am a little concerned about the parking

I think TSGG is going to be slammed for the forseeable future. the best time to go will probably be earlier rather than later.

Right now is also Spring Break so on top of being new, there will be more people in the World now then there will be around May 14th.

Agreed. I think it will be busy for a while as the locals and cast members want to get in and see what it's all about, too. I feel like it'll mellow out some, but will still be prepared for long-ish waits, especially on weekends, for the foreseeable future. Best bet is probably to park at MK and then walk from the TTC.

we arrive at the poly on may 5th, which is a tuesday and depart for universal orlando that friday, so i'm HOPING we'll be able to find a pocket of relatively quiet time to check it out. i think it's annoying that poly guests don't get any type of fastpass+ equivalent for the line.

So a 6 hour wait . . . Do people leave and come back, or do they wait there spending 6 hours of vacation time to get some tropical drinks? Seems insane to me. I want to go, but if the wait is more than 20 minutes, I'm heading to a different bar.

Mid-afternoon on a week day, after lunch but well before pre-dinner libation time.

It's more than just the drinks -- it's the "experience," like the Mask Room or the Main Salon at the Adventurer's Club.

That said, I think I'd like to try a Nautilus, if only for the souvenir "cup."

i think it's annoying that poly guests don't get any type of fastpass+ equivalent for the line.

And I think it's annoying that they don't have a "frequent grogger's" club with reciprocal membership from the California location. But whatcha gonna do?

Last edited:
are kids allowed in there? Not that I would take my kids to a normal bar but Disney is different.....right?!?!? :)

Nope after 8 no children. Just as well. Thinking about postponing my trip to TSams until a later date.

I wish they had made the bar area a little bit bigger. Being on the terrace is going to be fun in the heat and the humidity. Do they have fans?

It took me two visits to get in. On the first, I showed up at 5:00, and was told the wait would be three hours from the time I got a pager, but that there were no pagers left to distribute. There wasn't even any patio space available at that point.

The next day, I got there just before 3:00, and was one of the first group of 55 to get in when they opened, shortly before 4:00. Those who arrived after 3:15 had to wait until someone left, and most of us inside were settled in for a long visit.

By the time I left, they were telling people trying to get in the same thing I'd heard the day before-- 3 hours once they'd gotten a pager.

This left me with the conclusion that, for the time being, at least, there are only two ways you're going to get in: Arrive by 3:00 and wait til 4:00, or arrive shortly after 4:00, get a pager, and expect to come back in a few hours. The latter approach might allow you to run over to MK for a while, or to enjoy an ADR at Kona, first (the food menu at Grog Grotto is limited to a few appetizers-- even more limited than the already-small menu I'd seen for the Disneyland Trader Sam's).

It was very fun, and the drinks were great. I thought it was worth the effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter