Trader Sams/Tangeroa Terrace at DLH: Can you get a Lapu Lapu?

crostorfer

Gryffindor Gal
I was talking Lapu Lapu's this morning on another forum, the drink in the pineapple that I adore so much from the Polynesian Resort at WDW. The menu at Tangeroa Terrace is very similar to Captain Cooks at the Poly, I was curious if the bar there served the same drinks, specifically the Lapu Lapu? I need more rum in my life. :thumbsup2

elliececil said:
It's not listed under the Specialty Beverages in the allears Feb 2013 menu online.

http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_tsam.htm

The Krakatoa Punch has been recommended to me. Think I'll try my first trip in June!
Hope you find something that looks good to you!

The Krakatoa Punch is really good, but the "show" you get with it is fabulous! We wound up ordering a virgin version for my DDs so they could get in on the fun. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using DISBoards

Man I wish you could!! I want one every time I look at the pictures from our first trip to WDW and our visit to Ohana Dec of 2011!

Keep us posted if you do get one ... they really should add it to the menu at Trader Sams/Tangeroa Terrace!:drinking1

The Krakatoa Punch is really good, but the "show" you get with it is fabulous! We wound up ordering a virgin version for my DDs so they could get in on the fun. :)

That's awesome to know you can order a non-alcoholic version. Do you happen to remember how much it cost? Thanks!

lvdis said:
That's awesome to know you can order a non-alcoholic version. Do you happen to remember how much it cost? Thanks!

Sorry, no. I had it charged to the room and DH takes care of that. :)

They offer a number of great rum-centric drinks at Trader Sam's. It is the most fun. Go and get your grog on.

What is the "show" that you get if you order the punch? And are there other things there that will produce something special?

If there's a thread about all of this (that I somehow missed), please point me in that direction! ;)

mmmears said:
What is the "show" that you get if you order the punch? And are there other things there that will produce something special?

If there's a thread about all of this (that I somehow missed), please point me in that direction! ;)

The bar tender has a little routine that he does. The lights flash and there is the sound of a volcano eruption. The drink comes with a light inside a fancy cup (that you can purchase).

You could ask. They also make lots of other drinks that aren't on their menu. They might make that one. Love the music in the evening there. It really helps set the mood.

The bar tender has a little routine that he does. The lights flash and there is the sound of a volcano eruption. The drink comes with a light inside a fancy cup (that you can purchase).

Not just a sound! :)

FlameGirl said:
Not just a sound! :)

No. The overhead lights flash red and also (I forgot above) there is a window made to look like it looks out at a volcano and the volcano erupts.

As far as a Lapu Lapu, I haven't asked, but I know they have a bunch of off menu drinks they can make. We have really enjoyed everyone we've gotten from there.

Thanks for this information. Sounds like fun, will definitely be ordering one of these. :)

You can ask them to make it. All of the Disney bars have each others recipe books. I was at the bar at the Grand Californian and asked for a drink that was on the Disney cruise ships 10 years ago and the bartender was able to go flip through their special Disney drink recipe book and whip it up. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on that book ...

As a seasonal bartender at WDW and a Trader Sam's weekly regular while completing my degree in California, I might be able to offer some helpful information here.

I have the current Cocktails A to Z recipe guide for Disney bars (last updated in 2008), and it does not have the Lapu Lapu. Some of the older recipe Rolodexes found behind some of the WDW bars have old Disney recipes, such as from Pleasure Island and the old Top of the World. It is possible the Lapu Lapu might be found in one of those Rolodexes, but I highly doubt any bar at Disneyland would have one because the standardization of beverages between WDW and DL bars is relatively new, with DL moving in a direction away from the generic bar menu found all over WDW. But, if you really want a Lapu Lapu as served at the Polynesian, tell any bartender what goes in it, and they will make it. It's an easy recipe that all Disney bars are stocked to make: Myer's Dark rum, 151 rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and sour mix. The bartenders will know the proper ratios. Of course, none of them carry hollowed pineapples, so it will come in a regular glass.

On the other hand, if you have never visited Trader Sam's before, I recommend trying one of their unique tiki drinks. Their menu was designed by an outside beverage consulting firm, adapted from traditional tiki recipes. If you want something similar to the Lapu Lapu (rum, little less sweet), then I recommend the HippopotaMai-Tai. It's not as tart as the Lapu Lapu, but it's not overly fruity like the Krakatoa Punch. If you want to set off one of the effects, then order the Krakatoa Punch, Shipwreck on the Rocks, or Uh-Oah.

The Trader Sam's bartenders also know some off-menu tiki drinks, my favorite being the Navy Grog, and a few know how to make both versions of the Kungaloosh. A couple of the bartenders - Kelly and Michael in particular - really know their tiki drinks. Michael used to manage the bar at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach, and he can make you Don's version of the Lapu Lapu, which is not at all like the Polynesian's Lapu Lapu - it's much better!

What an informative post! Thank you LudwigVB. I love all things tiki, and tiki drinks in particular is a subject worth knowing more about -- truly worthy of extensive personal study. I am going to have to do some serious field research at Trader Sam's during my next visit. I may have to bring some graph paper with me.

As a seasonal bartender at WDW and a Trader Sam's weekly regular while completing my degree in California, I might be able to offer some helpful information here.

I have the current Cocktails A to Z recipe guide for Disney bars (last updated in 2008), and it does not have the Lapu Lapu. Some of the older recipe Rolodexes found behind some of the WDW bars have old Disney recipes, such as from Pleasure Island and the old Top of the World. It is possible the Lapu Lapu might be found in one of those Rolodexes, but I highly doubt any bar at Disneyland would have one because the standardization of beverages between WDW and DL bars is relatively new, with DL moving in a direction away from the generic bar menu found all over WDW. But, if you really want a Lapu Lapu as served at the Polynesian, tell any bartender what goes in it, and they will make it. It's an easy recipe that all Disney bars are stocked to make: Myer's Dark rum, 151 rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and sour mix. The bartenders will know the proper ratios. Of course, none of them carry hollowed pineapples, so it will come in a regular glass.

On the other hand, if you have never visited Trader Sam's before, I recommend trying one of their unique tiki drinks. Their menu was designed by an outside beverage consulting firm, adapted from traditional tiki recipes. If you want something similar to the Lapu Lapu (rum, little less sweet), then I recommend the HippopotaMai-Tai. It's not as tart as the Lapu Lapu, but it's not overly fruity like the Krakatoa Punch. If you want to set off one of the effects, then order the Krakatoa Punch, Shipwreck on the Rocks, or Uh-Oah.

The Trader Sam's bartenders also know some off-menu tiki drinks, my favorite being the Navy Grog, and a few know how to make both versions of the Kungaloosh. A couple of the bartenders - Kelly and Michael in particular - really know their tiki drinks. Michael used to manage the bar at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach, and he can make you Don's version of the Lapu Lapu, which is not at all like the Polynesian's Lapu Lapu - it's much better!

Wow, thanks! :goodvibes I want to go here so badly, I loved the Adventurer's Club so I'm anxious to try it!

Is he the one I should blame for my CM sonand his room mates having such a great time they missed the last bus back to the apartments. They walked like three miles back to the Disney apartments, ah to be young again got in about 3:00 am

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter