• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trader Joe's coming to DTD??!!

Well, it's a grocery store of sorts if you use the term lightly. The best description for them is probably a "Gourmet Aldi". They have organic foods, including many prepared ones. The stores are normally quite small, and at 1st glance seem quite unorganized, which they are in a sense. They have an almost cult following by people who love them, but many people don't. Most, if not all of them also sell wine. The wine shops claim to fame is a wine called "2 Buck Chuck" a generic wine is price has risen from that in the name.

They are not even close to Wegman's in terms of quality and service.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Trader Joe's would never work here. They don't allow the sale of wine in grocery stores. Wegman's has been trying for years to get that law changed.

Thank you for setting the record straight! We have 3 Trader Joe stores here in Charlotte, NC, and I am a very loyal customer! :love: In fact, I will be making a Trader Joe's run this week to stock up on essentials for our DW trip, leaving in 7 days! :banana:

I'm in Charlotte too! :wave2:
I love me some Trader Joe's! I actually won their reusable bag give away last week which was awesome. TJ rocks! :lovestruc

WEGMANS!!!!:love:

I have relatives in upstate NY and every year when we visit I look most forward to going to Wegmans!! It's the best!

Wegmans has slowly been moving south. There are now stores in MD. They place their stores a good distance apart though. I too wish we had one closer. We have to drive an hour to get to one. We go every few months and stock up on the stuff we buy from there.

Even though I am in PA our Wegmans sells some alcohol. Since they sell prepared food they are allowed to sell some alcohol.

TJ and Wegman's are very different. TJ's has some amazing prepared foods that no one else can match and is small and more "boutique-y". However, our TJ's is in a horrible location and parking is ridiculous so I never go. Our Wegman's is OK. It's pricey, with a few exceptions. It's also not organized well and is cramped (I'm not sure why - they built it hoping for an alcohol section but have been unable to get a permit. You'd think with the extra space, it would be easier to navigate.) The selection is good, but the poor layout and general behavior of patrons (trust me, never EVER get anything from their bulk section. Unless you're OK with other people's hands being all over your food) makes me want to strangle someone by the time I leave.

Honestly, both have their plusses but I think both are over-rated.

Wegmans has slowly been moving south. There are now stores in MD. They place their stores a good distance apart though. I too wish we had one closer. We have to drive an hour to get to one. We go every few months and stock up on the stuff we buy from there.

Even though I am in PA our Wegmans sells some alcohol. Since they sell prepared food they are allowed to sell some alcohol.
I know they even have one in Virginia, near Dulles Airport. Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time, if ever, before they come to Kentucky!

(You open stores for them?!?! Normal, IL would like to send you a huge basket of mini-muffins if you have any input into where those stores are placed...)

I'd trade our Trader Joe's for a La Bamba and Avanti's, you up for that? Lol! I miss both of those here in Dallas, TX. Graduated from Illinois Wesleyan and miss both restaurants!

Wegmans claim to fame really is that it's a family owned company who strives to provide incredible customer service and be a place where you can do your weekly shopping but also find the higher end or specialty items.

It's only Wegmans stores in NY that can't sell wine, the other stores do carry it. That's down to NY state law and Wegmans is geared to open a wine store in the WNY area soon. If that goes well I'm sure more will follow.

They currently have no plans to continue moving south, but will continue to build in the Boston area (The plan was 5 stores in 5 years). For them to move further south than Virginia, another distribution center would have to be built.

**All of this is just what one hears while working..**

I'd trade our Trader Joe's for a La Bamba and Avanti's, you up for that? Lol! I miss both of those here in Dallas, TX. Graduated from Illinois Wesleyan and miss both restaurants!

It IS a Small World after all!!

Love Wesleyan! Used to work there in the library ( the new one, not the old one) and really enjoyed my time there.

And I would happily send both, but I bet we would have some crazy riots demanding bread and sauce.

The farthest south Wegmans is in Fredericksburg, VA. I will keep it over TJ anyday. Our store is the largest ever built and I swear it's bigger than Super Walmart! It's literally the grocery store of all grocery stores.

The only problem with our epic grocery store is if you don't stick to your list, you can easily go way over budget lol with so many choices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter