Traded my points, got a call saying the card they paid for them with is fraud

YoshB

Earning My Ears
Basically title. my fiance and I are moving, and we rented our points out for some moving money. everything went through fine at first. now we just got a call from a cc company saying the money we got was from a fraudulent card and now we have no money for our move. is there anything we can do to get our DVC points back to hopefully find a legitimate buyer for them ?

You own the reservation. If the trip hasn't happened yet, you can cancel it and the points are back in your account (under normal cancellation policy). I assume you would have to show you tried to contact the buyer under your contract (the one you did for the rental), but after that, I would just take the points back.

Basically title. my fiance and I are moving, and we rented our points out for some moving money. everything went through fine at first. now we just got a call from a cc company saying the money we got was from a fraudulent card and now we have no money for our move. is there anything we can do to get our DVC points back to hopefully find a legitimate buyer for them ?
When you say that you "traded" your points, are you saying that you transferred the points to another owner? Or did you make a reservation for someone?

If it was a points transfer, I don't know if there is anything that you can do. Disney does not sanction members being reimbursed for transferring points to another member. They are not likely to step in to reverse the process if you tell them that you were not paid by the recipient.

If you made a resort reservation that has not already started, then you can cancel it and get your points back but please try to contact the guest first before doing so. If the trip has already passed, then the points have been used and cannot be returned. Disney will not act as an advocate for members who used their points for a guest and then regret it afterward. In that case, you would need to go after the guest to be reimbursed.

I hope that you have reached out to the person with whom you made your arrangements. It could be a matter that can easily be rectified by them. I know that you must feel terrible and I don't want to pour salt in your wounds. This just illustrates that the risk goes both ways when renting or transferring your points. It's not just the renters who run the risk of being burned.

Wishing you all the best that this works out for you in the end.

Disney won't do anything about a transfer gone bad, as the contract expressly prohibits members from "receiving compensation" for points transfer. Disney look the other way that it happens, but absolutely won't get involved in any disputes. Like this one.

Who called you? How did they pay you? Normally, you wouldn't get a call from the credit card company.

I agree, it sounds weird. If it's truly a fraudulent CC and you actually transferred the points, I believe you're out of luck.

Have you contacted the person that you rented the points to?

Who called you? How did they pay you? Normally, you wouldn't get a call from the credit card company.
I agree -- sounds wrong.
  • What exactly did they say/ask?
  • Have you seen any actual change in your bank account?
  • Also, how did you accept credit card payment in the first place? That may affect your options.

Isn't this what liability coverage is for? Pardon me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that credit card companies don't claw back payments made using a fraudulent card from every merchant who was affected...I've never heard of that happening.

Could this have been through paypal? That's the only way I could think of that an individual could accept a credit card.

If you've transferred points, contact the person and ask them to make it right. Otherwise, you can contact the police and report them for theft.

If you rented the points, cancel the reservation (if it hasn't happened yet). If the points are gone because it's too close to get them back, or the reservation has already occurred, file a police report for theft.

For the benefit of those looking to rent out points - what's the best way to make it convenient for the renter and to protect the one renting the points? Do most folks use an escrow service or do transfers via Paypal?
What about liability for damage to the resort if the renter were to cause any?
I'm sure I'm overlooking about a million other things...

Thanks!

I use PayPal will payment required within 24 hours of the reservation being made. Has always worked out well so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter