Trade outside?

flexsmom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I understand the many strong feelings about DVC not being designed to rent or trade to maximize it's value, but putting all of that aside, what exactly are the logistics involved or recommended for trying to trade with someone outside of the system in place for DVC, including going through II? Specifically, if I was very patient and wanted to trade with someone for Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village, how would I go about it? Thank you!

You would call Member Services and give them a set of dates you would consider that are, for Hawaii, a year or more in the future (more than one potential week if possible), a set of resorts you would consider (more than one if possible). You would pay the current fee (I think it's about $75). If a match comes up you'll get a call giving you a couple of working days in which to get back and accept or reject the match. As you can see, for success you may want to broaden your vision a bit. You can also join a group like TUG, and research other resorts so you know exactly what you're bargaining for. Trading to Hawaii is possible (we've done it) but it takes patience and flexibility.

flexsmom said:
I understand the many strong feelings about DVC not being designed to rent or trade to maximize it's value, but putting all of that aside, what exactly are the logistics involved or recommended for trying to trade with someone outside of the system in place for DVC, including going through II? Specifically, if I was very patient and wanted to trade with someone for Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Hilton Hawaiian Village, how would I go about it? Thank you!
First, the Hilton is not on the DVC list and not even with II.

The process for any of the options should start with research. You need to find out what is appropriate for your situation and family and what is not. Then you need to look at the "cost" and decide if that is reasonable to you. Look at places like TUG and trip advisors as well as posting here. For applicable options like DCL, DC or CC; call them directly to find out the actual cash cost. You would also need at least one fact finding call to DVC and I'd recommend you not try to do fact finding and reservations on the same call unless you're already totally certain what you want. Once you've made that decision, the process will vary with specific options. For the all options through DVC directly, you would call DVC and tell them what you want. If available, they would reserve it. If not, it depends on what the options is. For II, they can put in an ongoing search and if so, you pay the $75 fee. For CC, DCL, DC, etc; if nothing available you're done but you could call back and try again later.

For options other than through DVC, you're talking things like renting your points, direct trades with other timeshare (or condo) owners and dealing with the independent exchange companies. Places like the Rent/Trade board, TUG, redweeks and similar would be good places to start.

I know there was a Hilton owner on Rent/Trade board who wanted to trade Hilton for DVC. If you are interested you may want to search that board.

flexsmom said:

I have an exchange request on the TUG board and this particular HGVC owner sent me an e-mail so I believe he's also a TUG member. I declined his offer because I'm looking for a Sandestin exchange but here is the post from the rental board for your reference. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=836131&highlight=HGVC

Thanks - I knew that for what we're looking for we would have to outside of DVC and MS, but had no clue about where to go or how to start. I appreciate the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter