Tracking additional charges at Remy, Palo etc

When I order Evian, that is what I specifically want and I won't settle for the other stuff that I don't even like the taste of. I drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, but I don't like "added" minerals.

I suppose that water connoisseurs such as yourself are why water menus exist in the first place.

I suppose that water connoisseurs such as yourself are why water menus exist in the first place.
Oh now I wouldn't go so far as to say water connoisseurs need water menus. People need to drink water in quantity daily to hydrate properly. That means people drink a large amount every day. Everyone will get used to certain brands or types. Changing the water is akin to asking a strict Dr. Pepper person to substitute root beer. Or a Coke drinker to drink Pepsi. Yikes! It's so different. I drink about 100 fl.oz./day of water. I typically drink Nestle. My favorite is SmartWater. I'll drink Dasani pretty readily. I actually don't care much for Evian. I'll go thirsty if you offer me Aquafina because that stuff is gross to me. Sparkling is like not water at all for me even tho I know it is. So, if I order & pay for a 6-pack of SmartWater (I'd be so happy!) then received a 6-pack of Aquafina (grrrrrrrr!) I'd probably pitch an absolute fit because I'd be throwing away $$ on something I won't drink.

I think upscale places offer water menus for the pomp & circumstance of it. I asked one of the Remy servers once if they had to completely clear the entire table of all dishes & silverware between each course even if we hadn't used it. (I'm a housewife. I was feeling awful for the poor soul washing & polishing more than necessary.) He said yes, it's part of the formal service...for the show. That's what I think of water menus. It's for the service to make it all frou-frou. For the show. I haven't been offered a soda menu in Remy. Ya know? Well, I haven't been offered a water menu either but that's apparently not how it's supposed to work. LOL!

I can tell you not 1 single restaurant I've eaten at has had a water menu and I've eaten at some of the fanciest places in NYC. They ask still or sparkeling and then you can ask what of each they have. Most have one type.

There is also a big different between brands of water. Some have added electrolytes or minerals. Sparkeling can be the same. Some have added minerals and electrolytes and some don't. I personally can't stand Dasani so won't pay restaurant prices for it. 9/10 I'm fine with tap.

The added minerals in Dasani don't agree with me and I don't like the taste. Since I said I get tap water in the dining rooms, Palo and Remy, I don't see why you label me a "water connoisseur" just because if I DO purchase water (via room service or in stores at home) I want to get what I prefer and what I pay for. Although I assume your comment was meant to insult me, I think a water connoisseur would be someone who can distinguish between different waters and may or may not have certain preferences or needs, and I see nothing wrong with that. Sorry.

Scott's Trip Log on the Disney blog site talks about his Remy dinner and the $5.50 charge for "still" water from the "water menu" (he found out when he got the bill and suggested that asking for "tap water" may be the best option)
He also mentions lots of other food upcharge options
with that in mind, I am worried that I'll be selecting things that add to the $85 cost without knowing it. How can I be sure I am only selecting food and drinks that don't have an additional charge? Are my only options:
  • ask the cost every time I ask for food or drink?
  • Don't worry and pay whatever the bill is...it's only money?
[/QUOTE I would be very concerned about unknown up charges. I love Disney, been going to WDW since the 70's. Going on the Fantasy in about 30 days. I am very concerned with a lot of choices Disney has been making lately in regard to raising costs or eliminating certain perks that have been in place for years. I don't want to feel like we are getting ripped off, for water of all things. I will ask for tap for sure but I am not happy feeling like I have be careful and question everything.

Last edited:
Have been presented with water menus in Victoria & Albert's and Remy...

...actually...my husband has. Somehow I have managed to be visiting the restroom both times the menus came out. So I hear they exist but haven't actually seen them. ;) As far as I know we have not been charged for water.

To the original OP, your concern is valid. Whether an upcharge is explained, simply stated on a menu, or conveniently forgotten by not supplying all the needed materials to make a decision, it's best to be careful when you dine. A good server will ensure that you have all those tools to make a decision, but even in the best of circumstances and finest of restaurants, you might not get the best of servers. We try to immediately establish a good rapport with our servers, and we ask as many questions as we need to ensure we know what's to come (and what we will pay). As for Remy, in particular, for our anniversary meal there in July, we were offered a water menu with the requisite explanations of the costs. We opted for "plain" water at no cost. On the primary menus, there were upcharges for certain items; however, those were clearly noted on the menu itself.

On a side note, we went to Remy on embarkation day, and there was no one else there that night. We were the ONLY patrons the entire evening. Perhaps they were being extra gracious in ensuring we knew that some waters came with a price tag. ;)

Seems silly to have to beg for tap water or ice water in palo or remy when I had water coming out my ears in the MDRs last week.

recently back from our cruise and we were asked in the mdr, on the first night, if we would like sparkling or still water. this was the first time I have ever been asked there. no menu was presented but the question was asked. I told the cm that regular water was just fine for us. they did not ask again.

First to the OP - you didn't do anything wrong and this indeed does appear to be "new" or perhaps more enforced so calling attention to it (as Scott did) is a good thing to make others more aware of water which makes me giggle but I 100% agree with the point as I want full disclosure on what I'm getting and more importantly what I'm going to be charged for that I wasn't aware of.

I grew up in Europe and have therefore traveling throughout Europe and indeed that's how it is overseas - you are asked what type of water and have to be clear, tap water if you want the free water. So for the Europeans which I know many travel to the US as well, this is *not* normal in the US. I have never been asked "with gas or without gas" or what type of still/tap water. If it's in a bottle there is a charge which is clearly in the menu or it's free, period. I realize others have different experiences, but that's how it is here and everyone I've traveled or least the restaurants I've been to. Note - we don't do a lot of extreme fine dining.

I know at least 2 years ago and a few times after, I was surprised when I was in the Dream MDR and was presented this fancy bottle of water and they briefly explained the benefits and if we wanted that or regular water. There of course was a charge for this fancy water but we politely declined it and were never asked again. I know for sure this happened on the Dream and I'm pretty sure the Fantasy and I only remember it the first night. I do not remember it on the Wonder or the Magic.

Scott is a seasoned cruiser and has dined at Palo and Remy several times and he's been on all the ships as anyone that follows his Blog would know. He's great at comparing information and referring back to prior information to get his facts correct. Based on what he posted, yes this was "new" for him and others have chimed in and clarified it as well.

Thanks OP for pointing it out and when I read Scott's blog I remembered it but skimmed over that part as we don't usually go to Remy but I will ensure my wishes for FREE water are granted due to this if we go to Palo. For Palo Brunch we've always been asked still water or with gas and just chose still. I'll add an extra, "the free water please". :)

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter