TR - Running for my Disney II: Let's Make it a Half

I had been eyeing off what seemed to be a boardwalk at the base of the US falls, and was keen to investigate, so we leisurely made our way back downstream to the Rainbow Bridge. Today, it was living up to its name!

Along the way we got some hot dogs for a light lunch, and finished off with ice-creams.

There were beautiful gardens near the bridge.

It took us a while, but eventually we found the pedestrian entrance to the bridge. The officials on each side just glanced briefly at our Australian passports and let us pass with no further ado.

Seeing the view from the US side, we couldn't have been happier that we'd chosen to stay on the Canadian side. To get any sort of falls view, they had to pay an extra fee to go out on this crowded cantilever.

This was the view without the cantilever.

Again, we wandered upstream a bit, and crossed the bridge to Goat Island. Unusually, the US side was more wooded and natural than the Canadian side. I liked that aspect of it.

We followed a path down to another tiny island which offered another view point of the US falls.

We eventually found our way to the entrance to the decking area, which was oddly called 'Cave of Winds'. Apparently the cave is behind the falls. It was all a bit chaotic over there, and we struggled to find out exactly where to go and what to do. Eventually of course we worked it all out. We were given ponchos, grippy sandals, and a plastic bag to put our shoes in. Yes, we were expected to just carry our shoes around with us. All of that was totally worth it though. Cave of Winds was amazing, and probably the highlight of our time at Niagara Falls! Amazingly, this decking is not permanent. It gets removed every winter and put up again when the falls thaw!

By this time, we were getting a bit tired, and thought we might catch the shuttle back to the bridge. We weren't sure how much it would be, so we just lined up and thought we'd ask when the next one came along. It was close to sunset by then, and the local wildlife were starting to get active!

When the bus arrived, we found out it was $7 for a trip! Besides the fact that we didn't have that much USD left, we decided it wasn't worth it, and just walked back. It was only a 10 minute walk back across the bridge.

We saw some more wildlife along the way.

Then headed back over the bridge. We chatted briefly to an American guy as we crossed, who was on his way home in a roundabout way.

We had been planning to stop in at a brewery that we saw on the way out that morning for some drinks and a light dinner. Unfortunately it was closed for a private party, but we noticed a Rainforest Café in the vicinity, so we headed there instead. There were no tables available, but we were happy enough at the bar.

It was just on sunset when we left, and we enjoyed seeing the city light up around us.

We arrived back at the hotel right on dusk.

After a good soak in the spa, we packed our cases again, ready for a very early morning the next day. We didn't bother to close the curtains tonight, and chose to take full advantage of that view that we had worked for!

Thanks for pretty much finishing the TR before your Xmas trip. 1. Sorry about the 'flat' day but you do get those. I think that Kingston Fort looked the least interesting of the three you visited - and more utilitarian or something. Your short hike looked very pretty and a nice way to spend the arvo. 2. My DH is curious to know what your DH wanted to buy from Home Depot that isn't available easily here? Sorry that's the tool crazed person he is. 3. I will be referring to all your notes on Niagara for whenever we go and what to see and do - great view from the restaurant - note 3, book a table to be sure of getting a view! Note 4 Stay on Canadian side. Note 5 be wary of where I book if I want a falls view hotel room (DH has a friend who stayed somewhere with an amazing view and is keen for us to spend the $ and splurge whenever we get there). I did like your stroll up river a bit and the Cave of Winds if we go when its open. Looks like a nice trip exploring some more of the byways of America as well as the famous bits!

DH was after some sort of stackable tool chest type thing - not sure on the specifics sorry, I wasn't that interested lol! It's available here. Tools are just generally a lot cheaper in the US (less so now with the falling dollar though).

I really wanted to splurge for a falls view room in Niagara, and we very nearly did. In the end, we couldn't justify it. All the big flash hotels that have rooms with views also charge an arm and a leg for parking etc. We were very happy with our room in the end though. There was so much opportunity for falls viewing, it really didn't matter in the end!

Although this is pretty much the end of our North America travels, there is still a fair bit to come!

Catching up on this edition.

That fort looks a lot more functional. Shame it wasn't as pretty as the others.

Isn't Clifton Hill tacky? I do like the ferris wheel, though. Probably it's about the best thing on that side with a good view of the falls.
Shame about your hotel room; but that was a good upgrade for a mist view.

Was the Maid of the Mist running? That's the quintessential Niagara thing to do.
The Cave of the Wind looks amazing.

We knew going in that we weren't going to get a falls view from that hotel. We couldn't justify the expense of a falls view room in the end, and were happy to just have a view in that general direction and a nice room with a spa. The room was very nice, and the spa was the best one I've seen at a hotel so far!

The cruises were running from both sides (Maid of the Mist on the US side and Hornblower Cruises on the Canadian side). I know it's the quintessential thing to do, and I was planning to do it just because of that. While we were lining up to buy tickets, we kind of realised that neither of us were that interested and we'd rather just do the other experiences. The Cave of the Wind was definitely the highlight.

Hi Zanzibar, I'm really enjoying your trip report so far; sounds like a great trip! This may have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it. Which site did you use to book your condo and whereabouts was it located?

Welcome aboard SnowWhite! I booked our condo on VRBO (it's like the US version of Air BNB). It was the closest one I could find within our budget, just across Walnut. We literally walked out of the resort on the road that leads to DLH, crossed the road, and walked down a little driveway to our condo. Harbor is definitely a more convenient spot for the parks, but there are a lot of benefits to staying in a condo - it really depends on the purpose of the trip, the make up of your travelling party, and your travelling style as to whether it's worth staying in a condo or not.

Welcome aboard SnowWhite! I booked our condo on VRBO (it's like the US version of Air BNB). It was the closest one I could find within our budget, just across Walnut. We literally walked out of the resort on the road that leads to DLH, crossed the road, and walked down a little driveway to our condo. Harbor is definitely a more convenient spot for the parks, but there are a lot of benefits to staying in a condo - it really depends on the purpose of the trip, the make up of your travelling party, and your travelling style as to whether it's worth staying in a condo or not.

Thanks for this info Zanzibar! I have looked at this website, but they only give a general area rather than exact addresses. I guess I can just write to the owners and ask them exactly how far they are from the parks as a condo seems like a good option for us. Thanks again!

This is the exact one we stayed in.

https://www.vrbo.com/724429

Most of them have a decent location map if you go to the map tab. I zoomed in on this one slightly.

You won't necessarily find any addresses, but I found that this gave me a good enough idea of the location to narrow down my selection. I would only consider places that were within that little ring road thing just opposite Magic Way. If the map only showed the general area (which some of them did), it was immediately off the shortlist. There were so many to choose from, there was still a good selection left.

We stayed in this one. https://www.vrbo.com/418164
Same little condo group. We loved it. You can also watch the fireworks through the bedroom windows. And if you stay in any in this area, you'll be able to watch the fireworks from the pool area too.

We stayed in this one. https://www.vrbo.com/418164
Same little condo group. We loved it. You can also watch the fireworks through the bedroom windows. And if you stay in any in this area, you'll be able to watch the fireworks from the pool area too.

You can't see the fireworks from all the condos, so if that's something you want, make sure it's on offer! But yes, good views from the pool area or the carpark area out the front (we watched from there one night).

That is actually the condo we were going to stay at last year. Very happy with the service from both owners - pleasant and easy to deal with.

Chapter 15 - The Journey Home Begins

We woke up ridiculously early the next morning to basically chuck on some clothes, pack up our pyjamas/toiletries etc, and stumble down to the car for the drive to the airport. Still not impressed that US Airways moved us to a 6:30am flight. On the plus side, the road was practically empty, and it was an easy (if not short) drive back to Buffalo Airport. After stressing about Border Control, we were the only car within sight, and it took all of about 30 seconds for the officer to check our passports.

We returned the hire car and found the check in desk with no problems. When we checked in, the assistant looked at our passports and exclaimed 'Oh, you're the ones travelling halfway around the world!'. Apparently they had been discussing our route back amongst themselves lol! I briefly wondered if they might be so impressed with us that they would give us free Admiral's Club access or something, but it was not to be. I forget how we filled in our time in the end - it mustn't have been that horrific.

We had a fairly good flight to Washington DC. DH and I both fell asleep once we'd taken off, and woke up in time to see a bird's eye view as we were landing. We managed to pick out a few landmarks, which was exciting! After just enough of a layover to get from one gate to another, we were on our next flight to Boston. I managed to stay awake on this one, and got great views all the way up the east coast. I managed to see NYC and Central Park, but in my sleep-deprived state I hadn't thought to keep my camera on me, so I didn't manage to get any photos. In Boston, we were finally able to get lounge access (which was great, because we did have a few hours there). It wasn't a great lounge, but it was certainly better than having to fend for ourselves.

Finally we were onto the next exciting part of the trip - our business class flight with Japan Airlines! JAL haven't gotten around to doing 'pods' yet, but we still enjoyed their business class offerings. I remember their entertainment selection being quite good, and you could choose to have about a 10 course Japanese degustation menu. I wasn't sure that I could stomach all the delicacies on offer there, so I just stuck with the boring western menu.

We managed to get a bit of sleep before arriving in Tokyo and making our way to the JAL lounge there. That lounge is AMAZING! Definitely the best I've seen. When we win lotto, I'll be aiming to do all my trips to the US in business class via Tokyo! There were heaps of different zones, including a whole separate soundproof room with a play area for kids, work zones, a bar/casual dining area, a room full of massage chairs, lounging areas, and a full restaurant upstairs where you were seated and waited on. Just over 2 hours was only enough to get a taste of what was on offer!

Making our way to the gate for our next flight, I spied this amusing sign. Having experienced the toilets for humans available in the terminal, it made me wonder whether there were any fancy bells and whistles for the service dogs lol!

Our next aircraft was a bit of a step down (no lie flat seats or anything like that), but it was only a short flight so it wasn't a problem. We did have a bit of a problem when we arrived in South Korea, trying to find our way out of the airport. We managed to find the train station, but there didn't seem to be anywhere to buy tickets. There were plenty of machines, but they all took cash only. We eventually found a person at a window, but he only accepted cash too. So DH set off back to the main part of the airport (the train station was quite out of the way) to find an ATM so we could buy our train tickets. We got there eventually, and just had a short ride to our hotel.

I loved all the neon signs around on the short walk from the station to the hotel. Lugging everything around, it wasn't a great time to get my camera out and start snapping away, so I thought I'd take photos when we got to the hotel. DH wanted to go straight up to the room, and I was pretty tired by that time (close to midnight), so I just conceded and went up too. In hindsight, I should have made an effort to get some photos, because that was the only night we had there. I did try to get one out the window, but there was flyscreen in the way and I couldn't get much of a street scape from there anyway.

Exhausted after a long travel day, and knowing that we had to be up again at 6am, we were both happy to call it a night.

Well, I'd probably do TDL on the first stopover. After that, maybe a day or two at TDL and gradually explore the rest of Japan on each stopover. Now we just need to win lotto lol!

Chapter 16 - The Free Day Out

Many months prior to our trip, I had signed up for two of the free tours they do from the airport. We had a 5 hour tour in the morning, followed by a 2 hour tour in the afternoon. The first tour wasn't quite free. We had to pay for our entry to the palace and our lunch. It was still cheap though.

We woke up early to get to the airport in time to drop our luggage off and be there for the tour 15 minutes early as per the instructions. After a quick brekky at the hotel (which wasn't included, but was pretty cheap and tasty), we got the free shuttle to the airport. It was just us on the shuttle, and it only took about 15 minutes to get to the airport. When we arrived we headed straight for check in. We weren't really supposed to check our luggage so early, but the check in assistant made a special allowance for us. It turns out that there was luggage storage on the tour bus anyway. We were glad we'd left plenty of time, as it took a while to get everything sorted, and we arrived at the tour desk right at the 15 minute mark.

When we tried to check in for the tour, we were told that we needed to check in half an hour before the tour, and that our spots on the tour had been given away! We were super frustrated, but there was nothing we could do - only wait for 5 minutes to see if there were still any spare places in the tour. Luckily it turned out that there were. We paid our small fee, got given badges to put on, and were led through the terminal to the tour bus.

We had a fantastic guide for this tour, Jason. On the way into Seoul, he pointed out various points of interest, and took our lunch orders (which took a few tries as some people had fallen asleep or otherwise not listening).

The first stop was Geongbokgung Palace, where we were given a fairly in-depth tour. I loved all the beautiful ornate roofs.

Our next stop was a small city temple, where we had about 15 minutes to wander before lunch.

We met back up with our guide, and headed down some little alley ways to the restaurant. Lunch was delicious!

When we were finished, we had some free time to wander around the area before heading back to the airport. It was a little tacky and touristy, but definitely better than being stuck in the airport!

We all met up again, and got a group photo before getting back on the bus for the journey back to the airport. Our guide kept fairly quiet on the way back, so that people could sleep if they wanted to.

After we'd unloaded off the bus back at the airport, we went to check in for our next tour to make sure we didn't risk missing out again!

WOW! Glad you managed to get seats on that tour. Interesting way to spend the day in Seoul.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter