TR in pictures

OOPS! I will start again. I have been following your thread for a while and have enjoyed all of your pictures!! I have noticed you were there in August of 2014. We will be going August of 2015. I would like to know how you handled the heat and humidity? It is a big concern of mine. Thanks!

Never tire of seeing pictures of Hogwarts.......so impressive. Again, your pictures are lovely.

OOPS! I will start again. I have been following your thread for a while and have enjoyed all of your pictures!! I have noticed you were there in August of 2014. We will be going August of 2015. I would like to know how you handled the heat and humidity? It is a big concern of mine. Thanks!
I am from eastern Canada and quite frankly I do not enjoy the heat at all. The hottest we typically get during the summer months is 26 degrees C (or 80 degrees F). I had been to Fl several times in November and December and loved the temperatures at that time of year. My first trip down to Florida in August, I was very concerned about coping with Florida's summer temperatures but DH is a teacher, and between my job and his, we can only travel during the summer months. I am now planning my 6th August trip to Florida and I have no worries at all.

You do get used to the heat although it can be draining and make you and your family irritable. We have coped by
1. being most active early in the day and late in the evening.
2. In the hottest part of the day, we try to take advantage of air conditioned attractions where possible or go back to the resort and spend the afternoon in the pool.
3. Take your lunch at a sitdown restaurant in the park with air conditioning. It helps to take that break out of the sun.
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You become dehydrated quickly without even realizing it. We bring a water bottle and just keep refilling it at water fountains otherwise it gets very expensive.
5. The misting fans are surprisingly refreshing and can take the edge off the heat.
6. Wear very lightweight clothes. I have found that keeping my shoulders and back open to the air allows any breeze help to cool me down but you'll have to make sure to use lots of sunblock. Avoid collared shirts as they make you surprisingly warm to have material on the back of your neck.

The main thing is to remember to have fun and make allowances for the heat if you are not used to the summer temperatures that Florida produces. No worries though, you will have a wonderful trip! :)

Thank you! I'll be there in August too! I don't mind the heat at all, but the others really struggled with it. It is humid, but some people say it's a different humid. I just say it's hot and I love it. I walk out of air conditioning and I take a deep breath and sigh. I walk into air conditioning and I take a deep breath and sigh. Every time I enter or exit a building it's the same thing. The others really had a hard time though, but they weren't sleeping well, so that may have been an issue as well.

Never tire of seeing pictures of Hogwarts.......so impressive. Again, your pictures are lovely.

Thank you! I seriously can't get over all the work in the WWoHP. I could literally spend a week in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. As much as I'd love to sleep in Cinderella Castle, I can't say that I would't like to sleep in Hogwarts just as much, if not more!

I am from eastern Canada and quite frankly I do not enjoy the heat at all. The hottest we typically get during the summer months is 26 degrees C (or 80 degrees F). I had been to Fl several times in November and December and loved the temperatures at that time of year. My first trip down to Florida in August, I was very concerned about coping with Florida's summer temperatures but DH is a teacher, and between my job and his, we can only travel during the summer months. I am now planning my 6th August trip to Florida and I have no worries at all.

You do get used to the heat although it can be draining and make you and your family irritable. We have coped by
1. being most active early in the day and late in the evening.
2. In the hottest part of the day, we try to take advantage of air conditioned attractions where possible or go back to the resort and spend the afternoon in the pool.
3. Take your lunch at a sitdown restaurant in the park with air conditioning. It helps to take that break out of the sun.
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! You become dehydrated quickly without even realizing it. We bring a water bottle and just keep refilling it at water fountains otherwise it gets very expensive.
5. The misting fans are surprisingly refreshing and can take the edge off the heat.
6. Wear very lightweight clothes. I have found that keeping my shoulders and back open to the air allows any breeze help to cool me down but you'll have to make sure to use lots of sunblock. Avoid collared shirts as they make you surprisingly warm to have material on the back of your neck.

The main thing is to remember to have fun and make allowances for the heat if you are not used to the summer temperatures that Florida produces. No worries though, you will have a wonderful trip! :)

Those are great tips! I just disagree with the second part of #4. Ew, water fountains! LOL I do, however, ask for a glass of ice water and they will use the filtered water out of the pop/soda machines. I drink water most of the time, especially with meals, unless at the resort, or if I am craving some pop. Us teachers really limit our family's vacation time's eh? ;) This will be my 9th trip to Florida. 7th summer trip. Other 2 March break, and I much prefer summer. It is guaranteed hot while it can be cool in March. And then it's a little cheaper in summer too. Late Aug especially. :) See you in Florida!

Those are great tips! I just disagree with the second part of #4. Ew, water fountains! LOL I do, however, ask for a glass of ice water and they will use the filtered water out of the pop/soda machines. I drink water most of the time, especially with meals, unless at the resort, or if I am craving some pop. Us teachers really limit our family's vacation time's eh? ;) This will be my 9th trip to Florida. 7th summer trip. Other 2 March break, and I much prefer summer. It is guaranteed hot while it can be cool in March. And then it's a little cheaper in summer too. Late Aug especially. :) See you in Florida!

I just find that I need liquid and even swampy Florida water will do if I'm thirsty. I'll have to take advantage of the ice water/pop machines in future though. LoL! We go in late August too when the Florida kids are back in school and the prices (and crowds) drop. Love it!

Love the pictures. They sure help in making our wait until June more bearable.

Yeah, these are just whetting my appetite to get the kids through school and get us on the road! Thank goodness it stopped snowing when it did - the kids get out Monday June 1 and we leave that Friday morning for Orlando.

I have just gone through all 7 pages of pictures (don't tell my Boss!) and loved every minute of it. I can't wait till we go back in August.

I remember the first time we went to US which was in 1992 and we watched Beetle Juice then!

Love the pictures. They sure help in making our wait until June more bearable.

Thanks! June is coming before August, so you've got me beat. My principal calls April, May and June one month, because it flies by, so you need to say it really fast: AprilMayJune! LOL Then I have the whole summer and I go back to school 2 days after I get back from Orlando. I hope that they finish cleaning my classroom early in the year so that I can get in and get it ready before I leave, otherwise that full week I'll be at school until quite late to get it ready for my students. EEEK!

Yeah, these are just whetting my appetite to get the kids through school and get us on the road! Thank goodness it stopped snowing when it did - the kids get out Monday June 1 and we leave that Friday morning for Orlando.

Again, June is closer than August! LOL We finish school June 30th. The snow this winter was horrible everywhere wasn't it?

I have just gone through all 7 pages of pictures (don't tell my Boss!) and loved every minute of it. I can't wait till we go back in August.

I remember the first time we went to US which was in 1992 and we watched Beetle Juice then!

I won't say anything to your boss, no worries! (They've now blocked the Disboards at school, so I watch youtube videos and research flights when it is lunch time!) Beetlejuice has been around a while then! I really did enjoy it though, it made me smile!

I just find that I need liquid and even swampy Florida water will do if I'm thirsty. I'll have to take advantage of the ice water/pop machines in future though. LoL! We go in late August too when the Florida kids are back in school and the prices (and crowds) drop. Love it!

I have to laugh because I just noticed that we arrive on the same day! You are going to Orlando on Aug 19? Doing both Universal and Disney? We are staying on Disney property but planning to spend 2 days in Universal. Taxi taxi!

I have to laugh because I just noticed that we arrive on the same day! You are going to Orlando on Aug 19? Doing both Universal and Disney? We are staying on Disney property but planning to spend 2 days in Universal. Taxi taxi!
Yup! We arrive in Orlando late morning on the 19th and spending the first 4 days at Universal's RPR before moving on to a vacation villa and doing a couple of day trips to Disney. Can't wait......love Florida! :lovestruc Your pics make me wish my time away. August can't come fast enough! :teeth:

back to anorman's #4 on his list.

i find the water at the fountains a whole lot better at the darkside than at the motherland side.
one of the employees at guest services told me they use a different system for their water fountain than the motherland does.

i can drink it and not gag when i have to when there.

but usually buy a bottle of water and if i'm going cheap just for a few swallows, i get a cup of ice water from one of the food places.

Yup! We arrive in Orlando late morning on the 19th and spending the first 4 days at Universal's RPR before moving on to a vacation villa and doing a couple of day trips to Disney. Can't wait......love Florida! :lovestruc Your pics make me wish my time away. August can't come fast enough! :teeth:

I'm struggling with not wishing the time away, because I want my summer to be lovely too! I'm off for July and Aug, but I'm leaving end of August, so it's tough! LOL We are staying on Disney property and heading over to the dark side. I don't think we've decided how many days yet, we keep going back and forth. If it's only one day, I'm going to be spending most of it in the WWOHP.

back to anorman's #4 on his list.

i find the water at the fountains a whole lot better at the darkside than at the motherland side.
one of the employees at guest services told me they use a different system for their water fountain than the motherland does.

i can drink it and not gag when i have to when there.

but usually buy a bottle of water and if i'm going cheap just for a few swallows, i get a cup of ice water from one of the food places.

That's good to know! It's been years since I drank out of the fountains in Florida, so if Universal is better than Disney water, I'm happy! I'll do that sometimes! Thank you so much. :)

I'm struggling with not wishing the time away, because I want my summer to be lovely too! I'm off for July and Aug, but I'm leaving end of August, so it's tough! LOL We are staying on Disney property and heading over to the dark side. I don't think we've decided how many days yet, we keep going back and forth. If it's only one day, I'm going to be spending most of it in the WWOHP.

I know! I find myself in the same situation! The weather is finally starting to warm up here and I am so looking forward to summer but can't wait to get to Florida....Lol. Like you, I don't want to wish my summer away.....I'm sure my hubby (the teacher) would like summer to last forever. :sunny:

You should really seriously consider more than one day at Universal. There is so much to do there and it so often gets short changed on time when people visit Orlando and spend so much time at Disney. I used to be one of those people but now we plan on spending more time at Universal than at Disney and staying onsite with the Expess Pass perk makes it even better! :D Maybe it has to do with the age of my kids....they will be 12 and 14 when we travel and while they still love Disney and wouldn't consider a vacation without any Mickey, they love the more thrilling rides and theming of Universal. Having the parks so close to the resorts is an added bonus!

Yes, us teachers enjoy our summers! ;) But we love our jobs too. If we don't: GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING ELSE! Lol.

Oh, don't worry, I want to do 2 days at Universal, but my friend seems to be worried about the $$. We have free dining at Disney, so the food will be extra etc. I told her if we did only one day I'd need express pass to try to see more. I priced out the differences, for the taxis, for the food (min-max for both), the cost of the park to park tickets etc. I said a one day (higher end) with Express pass, food, taxis etc would cost us between $290-355 each, and a two day no express pass trip would cost between $295-450 each. Totally over budgeting too, but still. Seeing that they both start at the same level, I hope she'll be okay with 2 days. :)

if i were going in the summer time, 2 days would be the least i would do at the darkside.
i have never had that short of a trip before.

if i were going in the summer time, 2 days would be the least i would do at the darkside.
i have never had that short of a trip before.

Darkside is something I rarely do. I went in 2010, and again in 2014. Hopefully my 2015 trip I'll get there again, and last 2 longer days! All my other trips I was only there for short times. I think we stayed once until 5pm and that was the latest. So if I get 2 days where I get to stay until dark, or at least once, I will be ecstatic!

maybe you will get that trip in the future.
seeing the parks and city walk and the fronts of the hotels all lit up, is beautiful.

Yes, us teachers enjoy our summers! ;) But we love our jobs too. If we don't: GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING ELSE! Lol.

Oh, don't worry, I want to do 2 days at Universal, but my friend seems to be worried about the $$. We have free dining at Disney, so the food will be extra etc. I told her if we did only one day I'd need express pass to try to see more. I priced out the differences, for the taxis, for the food (min-max for both), the cost of the park to park tickets etc. I said a one day (higher end) with Express pass, food, taxis etc would cost us between $290-355 each, and a two day no express pass trip would cost between $295-450 each. Totally over budgeting too, but still. Seeing that they both start at the same level, I hope she'll be okay with 2 days. :)
When you have free dining it's hard to walk away from since it is such a money saver. We have taken advantage of it in the past and thoroughly enjoyed a totally Disney immersive holiday pixiedust:. On the bright side, if you are doing a couple of days at Universal, you should be able to take a couple of those table service credits and double them up for some fine dining experiences at the higher end restaurants at Disney. :) Good luck convincing your friend!

maybe you will get that trip in the future.
seeing the parks and city walk and the fronts of the hotels all lit up, is beautiful.

Oh wow! Yes, it would be!! One day!! If I keep up a few years in a row, I might end up staying at one of their hotels to really immerse myself for a bit. :)

When you have free dining it's hard to walk away from since it is such a money saver. We have taken advantage of it in the past and thoroughly enjoyed a totally Disney immersive holiday pixiedust:. On the bright side, if you are doing a couple of days at Universal, you should be able to take a couple of those table service credits and double them up for some fine dining experiences at the higher end restaurants at Disney. :) Good luck convincing your friend!

We're just doing the QSDP, but still, we'll get a few breakfasts in this way, so all is good! :) I'm hoping she'll go for it. If I just one day say "Oh I bought my 2 day ticket, you're welcome to just do one day if you want. I can go on my own the second day" then she can decide for herself. I've told her I can go on my own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter