TR: 5/21 - 5/26 PBH US IOA DC and some unplanned fun along the way...

hannahsmomma

Who's dream is it.....
I want to start this off by saying that this trip would not have been all that it was without the help that I received here on the disboards! :love: So much love for this place and everyone here!

I am a planner. Like most of us here. DH is the complete opposite. That had to be stated so everyone knows what we are getting into here along with the fact that, this was the first trip for me my new and wonderful DH and my DD 12 and DS 7. DH and myself had been on a few trips together but this was the first with the kids. His first vacation ever with children. We decided when we got married back in April that we would love to do a big family honeymoon with the kids. And since we had all been to Disney a few times and the kids our older now we decided to cross over!

After lot's of research I decided on the beautiful Portofino Bay Hotel with 4 days at US and IOA and a day at DC with time to just hang at the hotel pool too. We decided to drive down from Virginia. It takes about 12.5 hours. This being DH's first vacation with the kiddos, he had to get the whole experience of a road trip with them as well right?? :lmao:
To make it a little easier on him, I planned on stopping in Savannah on our way down, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our trip! The riverfront area and downtown there were absolutely beautiful! We both agreed that we will be going back for an adults only weekend.

It took about 8 hours to get to savannah, which left us about 4.5 for the next day. Fortunately I wasnt the only one who was eager to get there the next morning so we all got up early and hit the road for PBH!

We got there on Monday about 1, and I knew that our room wouldnt be ready, but I figured we could check in check our bags and use the time to get acclamated with the hotel and then head over to the parks to print our passes and scope out the area and eat a late lunch early dinner while we waited.

Here is the first time in the trip that DH got to experience the magic of disboard help and preplanning. A few days before we left I sent an email to reservations explaining that this was our family honeymoon and that we would love a room with a balcony to provide a little extra wiggle room for myself and DH. After some research I dedcided to request a room on the west wing and I got a lowes youfirst membership hoping it would help as well.
When we checked in I was told that we had been upgraded to a delux room with a balcony!! Woooowhoooo! But, more on the room to come. I have to go get my kids up now and get our day going. Here in Virginia we still have 2 weeks of school to go. (Yes I am the bad mom who takes her kids out of school for a week so we dont have to do disney or universal at peak busy awful times :eek: )

Lots more to come! Lot's of magic, some minor meltdowns, and hopefully some pics if I can figure out how....

I'm very interested,too. We are thinking of that hotel for Dec. and would love to hear more about it.

I can't wait to read more about PBH and the rest of your trip. We just booked our first stay at PBH for later in July. We debated going this year and just decided to go for it! We went in 2009 (stayed at RPH that time) and are excited to go back and see HP (and DS 12 is finally tall enough for all coasters)!

Love Savannah! I have lived in GA (only a few hours away from Savannah) for 22 years now and made my first trip to Savannah and Tybee Island back in April of this year. Had a great little trip. Trying to make time to go back (without kids this time).

Congrats on a family-moon! :)

popcorn:: Hey! I'm in for a new TR :goodvibes we live in Virginia too btw and our last day is the 7th of June. :banana:

We stayed over in Savannah too when we had an extra day. We loved Savannah too. We'll be at PBH in 26 days.:banana: My DS and DD have no idea that we are going to US and IOA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter