TR-1st big DVC trip, AKV and BCV. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Hello, Neighbor! Awesome trip report!

I own AK Kindani and LOVE it. but we are staying at BC this Oct, hope not to be disappointed :(

Can't wait toe see resort pics!

Thank you

Hello from Eastern MA! Loving the TR! I am a huge fan of AKL but have not stayed in an AKV...yet. My son and I used to go there for Christmas and we fell in love with Jambo House and the entire resort. Because I am such a huge fan, I would love to add on points there but we will see. Our first big family trip back we plan on reserving there! Right now, its just been me and the DBF, sans kids, at OKW (our home) and SSR :goodvibes

Enjoying your trip report! Have stayed at AKL many times, but not in the villa rooms yet. I agree, it is a beautiful resort. We also had many issues with our last stay at the BCV, and as our home resort have thought many a time would trade it in for AKV, but for the proximity to Epcot.

We just came back from 7 days at a studio at Kidani Village. The number of animals outside our window was just stunning. One day we had 4 giraffes, 2 ankole cattle, 2 ostriches, right up near the pointy metal barriers - another day we had 7 zebra and 2 ankole and they slept there overnight.

AKV was the reason DH decided it was time to become DVC members. We prefer Kidani to Jambo House and have fallen in love with Sanaa restaurant. The only thing Kidani is missing is a quick service restaurant - The Mara feels too far away some times and the food there this last trip was just okay. We also felt Boma's quality has declined.

You can see from the title that today we took it somewhat easy. Breakfast at Cape May was sabotaged by myself- missing 20 minutes switching over laundry…gotta time that laundry timer to the minute! Missed a few of the characters but caught the last two at our table for some pics. At this point of the trip, we have seen A LOT of characters and that urgency to get the camera is dissipating quick. Underwhelmed again by Cape May, this time for breakfast. Prior tips it was a top 3 restaurant for me, this time a little of the magic has left it. Not saying it was a bad experience, we were all just a bit more excited for some of the places we were dining at for the first time. Good news is that we no longer have to worry about laundry the rest of the trip-mission accomplished!:laundy:

On our easy day we decide to spend 1-2 hours in Epcot for a couple of rides. DW has never met Capt Eo ride or Chesire Figment. On the way over, a mood sweeps over my DD5 princess and it won’t be easy getting her on ANY rides for a bit! Poor parental choice-we brought both princesses into the Captain Eo show and convinced her it wouldn’t be scary. C’mon-the king of pop has a squeaky voice right? A couple of explosions later, both little ones’ nerves are shot. DD1 just lets out a yell/scream at the loud noise and quiets right down. DD5 is gonna sit through this one with eyes wide shut! At the end of the show, the ladies sitting next to us comment how difficult a show it was for DD1…just one yell and no other probs to her was bad. Highly doubtful this lady has ever seen a real child meltdown!

Now that DD5 is spooked there is no way on earth she is going into Chesire Figment’s ride! She has the ride railing in a death-grip that no living soul can possible break. CM’s do there best to reassure her, as do mom and dad, but no deals. DW and I split up the kids and I bring DD1 on ride and DW brings DD5 into Chesire’s play area…next was Ellen’s Energy adventure…long but enjoyable…when we finish our fam high-tails it back to the pool at BC. We have a few fun hours in the sun before getting ready for our special dinner-Yachtsman Steak House.

1st time at Yachtsman Steak House- in a nutshell great food, elegant, loved the Steak, polite waiters(even poured my beer for me). This place is great for an adult meal but I won’t be bringing my children back. Time between apps and main course was about 45 min. My DD1 is not understanding of any excuse that could be offered. Place wasn’t packed and it was hard to keep my little ones at bay till the food arrived.

After the food arrived, we spend a little more time at the pool before calling it an early night. Pleasant surprise- we could see some of the Epcot fireworks from our room. DD5 turns on the tv and once again her show of choice is the Disney must-do’s. We have now seen this show in its’ full length a handful of times…:happytv: Early to bed because we have a date with the Disney princesses in Cinderella's castle first thing tomorrow morning!!!

Enjoying your trip report! Have stayed at AKL many times, but not in the villa rooms yet. I agree, it is a beautiful resort. We also had many issues with our last stay at the BCV, and as our home resort have thought many a time would trade it in for AKV, but for the proximity to Epcot.

My ratings for BCV were quite high but the AKV were a little bit better on this trip. I'd still rate both of them in the 'A' range. Another thing i should point out is that my ratings of resorts and restaurants change from trip to trip:3dglasses

Fun trip report - thanks! I've only stayed at Kidani [on a friend's points] and that visit was a main reason I bought into DVC - absolutely gorgeous villa and I didn't even have a savannah view!

I had to laugh about your winning score on Buzz, while you were holding your DD1. I went to WDW with some friends and their 9 month old. On Buzz and TSM, my friend [the baby's mother] beat us soundly - both times, she was holding the baby. We were convinced he was helping her some way!

If I may ask, what room# and type of room were you in at BCV? We will be heading back home in March and I am gathering as much info as possible on rooms. Thanks! Your trip report is great!

If I may ask, what room# and type of room were you in at BCV? We will be heading back home in March and I am gathering as much info as possible on rooms. Thanks! Your trip report is great![/QUOT

BCV room 269, studio. Decent walk from lobby, balcony view of a road, bridge, topthird of golf ball, and rear side of Eo or Figment bldg

Have not been able to post the past couple of days because of Irene prep and fallout. Hope to get back on track this evening with another post or two...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter