• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toys R Us - does this seem right

aidensmom73

Mouseketeer
I amde a purchase on Saturday for $56, paid $25 with gift gard and balance on debit card. I went to go return one item today that was $11.99 and they put in on a gift card. I asked why won't it go back on debit card and she said that isn't their policy. Now I am forced to spend an additilonal $12 there.

Does this seem right?

I work retail part-time and that is the way that our store does it too. If you use multiple methods of payment, before they give you actual cash back, retailers want to do everything they can to keep the money in the store, so it always goes back on the gift card first because that means you'll be spending it with them.

I know, it probably seems sneaky, and I'm not sure I agree with it 100%, but it is a common practice.

Nope, I'd have asked for a manager and requested the partial refund go back to my original form of payment, the debit card. I doubt that you'd get anywhere now though after leaving the store but it could be worth an email to corporate or a call to the store manager anyway.
Our TRU is half an hour away at best, I'd hate to be stuck with a gift card for somewhere I don't get to that often.

I work at Babies R Us (same procedures) and that's how the computer applies the refund...if a store credit or gift card was used and the balance some other form of payment, they will refund the gift card/store credit first. Now if someone wants the refund to their cc/debit card/cash (however they paid the remining balance) I will often override the computer and refund to the cc/debit/cash, but only up to the amount that was paid with cc/debit/cash.

Like last night I had a return that was originally paid for with a $50 gc and the balance of $137.xx paid in cash. The swing she returned was $145.xx. and the computer refunded $50 to a store credit and balance cash. She wanted the whole amount cash, but because she only paid $137.xx in cash that's all I could give her back in cash. So I had to override the comuter, give her $137.xx in cash and the balance on store credit.

Not sure if I'm supposed to or not; I've never asked my supervisor. I'm sure they'd probably tell me to try and keep the money on the store credit first if I did ask but I've neverb een told not to either. I do try and do the right thing for the customer (within reason) because I'd like the same done for me.

Nope, I'd have asked for a manager and requested the partial refund go back to my original form of payment, the debit card. I doubt that you'd get anywhere now though after leaving the store but it could be worth an email to corporate or a call to the store manager anyway.
Our TRU is half an hour away at best, I'd hate to be stuck with a gift card for somewhere I don't get to that often.

But the gift card WAS original form of payment. If the store's policy is to return one item from a multi-item purchase to the gift card first, there's not really anything wrong with it.

Sounds like the lesson is to split your order to total the gift card amount, and then the balance. It's a PITA, but I'm not a huge fan of TRU so I might try to remember next time, for MY sake.

This is totally normal, when you make a gift card purchase and do a return standard procedure for most companies is to get a gift card refund. You can ask for a refund on your debit card but you may be told that their policy is to refund the gift card first.

Kohls does not make you get store credit for split transaction. I just returned something 2 days ago that was split and they asked. I of course said put it back on my debit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter