Toys for Kitten alone during the day?

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions for toys that allow a kitten to play by themselves while we are at work? I know that what she really needs is another kitten :lmao: but that's not happening. ;)

So far we have a couple of different kinds of toy balls she can bat around and two types of circular objects where a ball or mouse will go around in a circle as she bats at it.

Also, any of your favorite cat toys in general - would appreciate those suggestions too! (We have the "Da Bird" feathers/string/fishing pole thing which is fantastic!)

Paper grocery bags. Boxes. But the reality is, THEY decide what a toy is.
We lost of kitty in October, remodeled our house and replaced all the things SHE thought were toys. The curtains. The kitchen cabinets.

Any suggestions for toys that allow a kitten to play by themselves while we are at work? I know that what she really needs is another kitten :lmao: but that's not happening. ;)

So far we have a couple of different kinds of toy balls she can bat around and two types of circular objects where a ball or mouse will go around in a circle as she bats at it.

Also, any of your favorite cat toys in general - would appreciate those suggestions too! (We have the "Da Bird" feathers/string/fishing pole thing which is fantastic!)

When I adopted one of my cats last year the shelter showed me a toy he loved and played with it all the time, they weren't kidding, he can entertain himself for hours with this thing, and I do mean hours.

http://www.petco.com/product/123532...s-Cat-Toy.aspx?CoreCat=MM_CatSupplies_CatToys

my cats love wadded up paper into a ball. they will chase that thing for hours. But I think they do what cats mostly do all day: SLEEP:)

Cotton balls, our 1 year old cat is amazed by them.
He also has a pipe cleaner he got out of DS's room that he loves.

What about a small stuffed toy. Our last cat had a McDonalds toy, like a tiny beanie baby she carried around when we were gone.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I've ordered a couple new things from Amazon, have rolled up a couple paper balls, and am trying out some of your ideas!

check out frolic-cat toys...automatic laser pointers! some of them turn on during the day when you aren't home to entertain kitty.
my guys love it!
also a great distraction to keep them busy while you are eating dinner :)

One of our cat's favorite toy was a plastic Easter egg! It was one of the 2-part eggs you open and put candy in, which we taped shut. A small one, about 2-3 inches long, not the bigger, traditional size.
He loved batting this around because it didn't go in a straight line like a ball, it zig-zagged, like prey. He would get very excited chasing it around the house.

My dd uses a food ball for all her cat's food, to keep her entertained and active.

Aluminum foil balls; they allow claws to grab them and they make some noise rolling. No string or things they can pull apart easily. No catnip for a kitten either.

Some of my cats' favourite toys are things they found around the house. At various times they've loved:
  • Little pom poms
  • Pipe cleaners (my boy found a pipecleaner candy cane and loved it!)
  • Bells
  • Styrofoam balls (the first one they found was Earth from a solar system project)

For his first Christmas we gave my boy cat one of those sticks with a piece of elastic and a furry boa type thing on it and he carried that thing everywhere!

Our kitten really, REALLY enjoys younger DDs' ponytail holders. He plays with them for hours. He also loves the empty Amazon boxes. I'll leave it in the kitchen for a few days with the crinkly packing paper. He jumps in and out and hides under the paper with just one eye peeking out.

Our new kittens love all of their toys but they LOOOOOOOOOVE one thing the most, something we didnt give them, but they found in the basement...a small piece of pipe insulation (Black Styrofoam that wraps around a pipe). They fight to control it, carry it around, just play non-stop.

I think they are amazed by how it sometimes catches on their nails so it seems to be 'attacking' them and wont let go, lol :rotfl:
Have fun with your new baby!

:rotfl:
I love these! Lot of great ideas. We are especially going to have to try the Amazon box thing. We get them all the time and she has a box to jump in and out of... but one that crinkles?!? That might just be kitten heaven. :)

Our kitten really, REALLY enjoys younger DDs' ponytail holders. He plays with them for hours. He also loves the empty Amazon boxes. I'll leave it in the kitchen for a few days with the crinkly packing paper. He jumps in and out and hides under the paper with just one eye peeking out.

Oh, I forgot about the hair ties and rubber bands! And straws!

Our cat loves my shoes. I'll take them off by the door & in the morning, one or both have migrated somewhere else in our apartment.
Apparently he's decided to create a new game called "Make Daddy Look For His Vans"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter