• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toys for Christmas right??? Not clothes... vent ahead..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step sister had the same complaint last year about the presents I sent. Mind you she didn't have enough money to buy her 3 kids winter coats or boots so I did. I also sent new jeans and sweaters AND a couple toys. I sent little toys because I knew she would get plenty from everyone else.

She called to tell me she couldn't believe I didn't send so and so toy but I bothered to spend all the money on coats and boots.

Guess what I sent this year? Nothing..... I knew her kids wouldn't miss the gifts as they are all under 6 and I don't see them very often. I don't need groveling but a present is a present is a present.

For the record I give clothes and other things than toys as gifts especially when I know they get a pile on of toys.

I like to get clothes and often give clothes or gift cards to a book store. Most kids I know are overrun with toys. I would not be upset at all.

I've certainly learned over the years that everyone is different. I have always wanted my kids to get toys. They are boys, they dont care about clothes. One SIL would give them clothes, or towels, for Christmas and Birthdays. They still got toys from others, so it wasnt that big of deal.

When that SIL had kids I would buy them toys for gifts. Nice toys, Discovery Toys, etc. I could always tell SIL was not thrilled. So I started buying clothes in addition to the toys, and now everyone is happy. Shes super cheap and hates to spend $ on her kids, so i think she wants the gifts to clothe them!

I know I have my issues with the in-laws and such but for a 5 year old, I thought this was a little ridiculous. I felt bad because she started to show the classic signs of "oh no, not more clothes" creeping out as she opened her gifts. Thankfully she will get her fair share of toys from my side this weekend.

Maybe I am focusing in on this too much but I would never buy a child over a year old clothes for Christmas unless it is my own child.

OK looking forward to seeing what others think..

You sound ungrateful and immature and it sounds like your DD is picking up on your cues. Stop your behavior now or she will follow in your footsteps.

There's nothing wrong with getting clothes for Christmas. I cannot believe some of the things I see people complaining and venting about on these boards. It is petty and ridiculous. So much for holiday spirit.

Is it just me or has something changed, but I have always felt that kids should get mostly toys for Christmas not clothes or hats etc...

My one SIL wanted to get my DD(5) Ugg boots this year and she would have except that I told her we have already taken care of her boots for this year so she asked what to get her and I said anything Barbie... she sent quite a few things directly from the store and explained that the gifts weren't wrapped, no problem. Good thing I said something because my other SIL (still my husband's side of the family) sent her gifts for my DD up to us with a family friend and since it was quite a few packages, I told DD she could open them. We won't be seeing his side of the family at all for Christmas and I figured that she would have a head start on playing with her new toys... well, she got all clothes and an ornament. My MIL also gave her an item of clothes, a holiday themed blanket for her bed (too small) and holiday cookie cutters. I was glad that she could at least open the Barbie things and have something to play with rather than fold and put away (especially since it was a special occasion that she could open them early.)

I know I have my issues with the in-laws and such but for a 5 year old, I thought this was a little ridiculous. I felt bad because she started to show the classic signs of "oh no, not more clothes" creeping out as she opened her gifts. Thankfully she will get her fair share of toys from my side this weekend.

Maybe I am focusing in on this too much but I would never buy a child over a year old clothes for Christmas unless it is my own child.

Growing up, my stepmom gave me clothes. I HATED them with rare exception. The reason I hated them is they were ugly, they didn't fit, and I would be a laughing stock at school. (Think Jeafl thread...lots of fodder from my youth...:rotfl:)

But yet--even with that, I do not share your sentiment. It wasn't that she provided me clothes...it is that they just were horrible choices of clothes.

Thankfully, with my kids, I have trained them to be appreciative and they actually like to receive clothes from anyone for any reason for any occasion. Even the homemade ones. ;) (My stepmom has gotten much better with her sewing and fabric selections. The clothes she makes my children are adored. I wish she had that sense of style when I was a kid.:laughing:)

The day my kids shows signs that they feel a perfectly acceptable gift is unacceptable is the day we rethink our priorities. They read ALL the tags on the giving tree at our church each season. Those tags are sad sometimes. Really sad when someone is asking for a grocery card or a young kid is asking for underwear.

My sister had some bags made for my children. They are personalized with their name embroidered on fabrics that suit their personality. They will love them even if they aren't a "toy".

Kids like clothes and stuff besides toys and, as someone else said, how many Barbies or whatever can you have? They lose their appeal pretty quickly when there's a pile of them, same as any quantities of toys. Hence kids are often more excited and engaged if they get two or three things than if they get ten or fifteen.

Not to this kid. :lmao:

I think people are being unfair to the OP. I never read where she said she was ungrateful, just that she was surprised. I understand where she is coming from.

I can't believe that everyone else on this thread has these perfect little children who have smiles on their face with every present they get. I know they don't, you know they don't so stop trying to fool everyone. We are on the DIS so I understand we have to make believe it's true though.

Little kids like toys, especially 5 yr. olds. Never once did the OP say the kid threw a temper tantrum or anything close to it. I don't think the OP is teaching her child to be ungrateful but this is board that loves to take giant leaps.

I hear you, OP. I get what you're saying!

I would never ever ever buy a child clothes for Christmas unless they specifically asked for a certain thing. I still have Christmas's growing up burned into my head where my older aunts would all buy me clothes and it was hard to contain the "gasp" when I would open them up and see what it was. One gave me some homemade blue jean pocketbook once and right after opening that gem another gave a light pink shirt with pink and red flowers on it--now if you knew me as a kid I was a tree climbing, ball playing kid wearing jeans and t's and as a teen I wore mainly black....so they would buy me the most inapproriate things for my "style". When I was really little (like 5ish) I would shake the boxes under the christmas tree as we were opening and if they felt like clothes I used to put them back under the tree to open last!
I always vowed I would never ever buy my daughter clothes for Christmas unless she wanted them-this year is the first time she asked for some clothing items so I bought them. Last year she asked for Uggs so my mom bought her the boots for Christmas.

My ds,10, loves clothes and shoes more than toys. Last weekend was his bday party and he asked for DC stuff. He got a DC hoodie and some shoes. His hands were shaking lacing the shoes he was so excited. He put on his hoodie & shoes in the restaurant, packed up his cookie cake, and told g-ma he was ready to go. She had to take pics of him posing with his new clothes.

He is small and hasn't grew much in a couple years. He has a jean/shoe closet with 30+ prs of jeans, 20+ sneakers & boots, plus a shirt closet & dresser overflowing and he still asks for clothes. Relatives ask me for toy ideas and it stumps me sometimes. I have to tell them he REALLY likes getting clothes. Reebok Zigs, Northface, and DC are on his Xmas list. He mostly wears hoodies as it doesn't get too cold in NC, and he tore the lining of his coat. I said don't worry, I got you one for Christmas and his eyes lit up and was glowing. Now my dd is another story, lol .

Santa brings toys. Others give gifts, whatever gifts. They are signs of love and generosity. Personally, Id be livid if my kids thumbed their noses at ANY gift.

Growing up I had a great aunt who always gave me socks. Ugly socks too. We would laugh but I loved that she would actually go out and buy them. We were a lot of kids! To this day, now that she is gone, I miss those socks. She would give my Dad underwear. She was great!

There is something to the saying that Christmas is about giving, not receiving. I try and teach my kids to be thankful and appreciative that people are thinking about them. Your DS sounds like a lucky little girl to have so many people thinking about her.

In my family a gift is a gift is a gift. My mom, in the last several years, has given only gift cards. She is older now and just can't go out and Christmas shop like she did at one time. When my children were small, going to her house was like Toys R us. I reallly had to remind her sometimes it wasn't necessary to buy so much. They have her, me and my ex's family purchasing gifts at Christmas time, they will be just as fine with a few as with 10 gifts. That being said, she ALWAYS threw in a dressy outfit for them to wear. We called it the
Church clothes box. It came complete with underwear and socks for the outifit. My sisters and I always got a gift bag with socks, a manicure set, favorite shampoo or something. The stuff we loved but did not really have the funds to treat ourselves with. Those were always the best gifts. My sisters and I could barely wait until Christmas for some of that stuff! :lmao:

I also think kids pick up their cue from the parents. If you are excited for the brand new outfits she will be too. And clothes are a good thing in my book. My family always splurges at Christmas on the 'nicer' jeans or the namebrand something, its Christmas. But, in the end it is nice that they have an extra outfit because my budget when they were growing up wasn't a big one.

Maybe your economic situation is different and that is why the clothes seem a little bit off for a 5 yo. For the most part, in my situation clothes at any age were a great thing, they get plenty of toys from Santa. And now that they are older, Santa took over for grandma and they get a Church outift from him too!

Kelly

Is it just me or has something changed, but I have always felt that kids should get mostly toys for Christmas not clothes or hats etc...

My one SIL wanted to get my DD(5) Ugg boots this year and she would have except that I told her we have already taken care of her boots for this year so she asked what to get her and I said anything Barbie... she sent quite a few things directly from the store and explained that the gifts weren't wrapped, no problem. Good thing I said something because my other SIL (still my husband's side of the family) sent her gifts for my DD up to us with a family friend and since it was quite a few packages, I told DD she could open them. We won't be seeing his side of the family at all for Christmas and I figured that she would have a head start on playing with her new toys... well, she got all clothes and an ornament. My MIL also gave her an item of clothes, a holiday themed blanket for her bed (too small) and holiday cookie cutters. I was glad that she could at least open the Barbie things and have something to play with rather than fold and put away (especially since it was a special occasion that she could open them early.)

We always give our kids a mix of toys and other types of gifts, including clothes. We have done the same for the niece and nephews and my siblings have done the same. After all, how many toys do kids need? The big fat guy always gives mostly toys, but relatives give whatever they want to give. I give my siblings suggestions of what to give my kids if they ask (and grandparents, too) but they are suggestions, not orders and ultimately they buy what they want.

This year I got my niece 10 a messenger bag and a gift box of 6 books. She has tons of toys already, and I buy things I think she would like and will use.

We always give our kids a mix of toys and other types of gifts, including clothes. We have done the same for the niece and nephews and my siblings have done the same. After all, how many toys do kids need? The big fat guy always gives mostly toys, but relatives give whatever they want to give. I give my siblings suggestions of what to give my kids if they ask (and grandparents, too) but they are suggestions, not orders and ultimately they buy what they want.

This year I got my niece 10 a messenger bag and a gift box of 6 books. She has tons of toys already, and I buy things I think she would like and will use.

You sound ungrateful and immature and it sounds like your DD is picking up on your cues. Stop your behavior now or she will follow in your footsteps.

There's nothing wrong with getting clothes for Christmas. I cannot believe some of the things I see people complaining and venting about on these boards. It is petty and ridiculous. So much for holiday spirit.

Nailed it. The SIL is trying to do a very nice thing here. I don't understand how the OP can find anything to complain about.

I can almost see how the OP is disappointed with clothes when she thought her daughter would be getting fun stuff. But, that being said, clothes from family are totally appropriate. My kids all enjoy getting new clothes, especially my daughter.

Your daughter takes her cues from you. If your face tells her it's a wonderful present, then she will think it's wonderful too.... at this age at least.

I am also surprised that you let her open the gifts already. Just because they were not wrapped doesn't mean early gifts. I think you could have wrapped them and put them under the tree. Unless the relatives were there to see her open them then I think they should have been opened on Christmas with the rest.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole opening the presents when they come in the mail thing. My kids got presents from several states mailed to them and they always went directly under the tree. They were Christmas presents not just random presents that came in the mail.

Here is what I think....

IL's give weird gifts and unless you know what they are giving, put the gifts under the tree and have your dd open them on Christmas. Hopefully you learned that lesson.;)

As far as toys vs clothes, I do not agree with you.

I have bought plenty of fun pj's, slippers, and other stuff for young ones that were not "toys" and the kids loved the gifts.

My kids just smile and say thank you even though both grandma's gave them the same toy one year. Not oh I got one of those from the other grandma.

Maybe they didn't know what your dd had in toys so the clothes were a safer choice. Plus you said you talked to them about the boots, did you say oh she would really love a Barbie?

As a gift giver, I would never pick clothes for a child unless they asked for clothes. I always try to give what will excite the receiver.

And when I was growing up, we always opened mailed gifts whenever they arrived. A new toy kept us out of my mother's hair in the week before Xmas. :lmao:

I can relate-LOL!

Obne Christmas when i was about 12 and sis was 6 we amxiously opened our presents from Grandparents-besides Santa-this was a good present
We each got a set of SHEETS!!
Come to find out, Mom was redecorating our room, new colors, new French provential furniture she picked up on a sale and wanted us to have color co-ordinating sheets-so asked her Mom to give that as their gift

I was less than happy:sad2::rolleyes1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter