Toy Story-Andy's mom: What do you think of this?

It's a little hard to follow, but seems like it could make sense and be true if it was explained a little better. Very, very cool if Disney/Pixar had it planned like that the entire time.

It's a little hard to follow, but seems like it could make sense and be true if it was explained a little better. Very, very cool if Disney/Pixar had it planned like that the entire time.

I agree. I saw this earlier and thought it was hard to follow. But I think I got the jist of it, and i think its pretty neat.

Was he suggesting that Woody was owned by Andy's mom? Because that wouldn't make any sense...Jesse would have known Woody from her days with emily and vice versa.

I believe it would make sense if Andy's mom was "Emily" who once owned Jesse, and perhaps Woody was a gift from Andy's dad.

Was he suggesting that Woody was owned by Andy's mom? Because that wouldn't make any sense...Jesse would have known Woody from her days with emily and vice versa.

I believe it would make sense if Andy's mom was "Emily" who once owned Jesse, and perhaps Woody was a gift from Andy's dad.

Off topic, but did any of the movies ever mention Andy's dad? I don't recall them every showing him. Was it ever implied that mom was divorced or widowed or anything?

Off topic, but did any of the movies ever mention Andy's dad? I don't recall them every showing him. Was it ever implied that mom was divorced or widowed or anything?

Dad has never been mentioned. It has never been stated, though it has been speculated that they might have been divorced (the need to move from the nice two story house in the first movie) or that Andy's mom has a sugar daddy, and no actual "daddy" for her kids.

Personally i like that they never actually address Andy's dad since the family has evolved drastically even from the time the movie was made. And since Dad, or the reason for his absence are never mentioned, children from two parent AND single parent households can watch the movie and feel like it relates. It doesn't specifically exclude one or the other.

Oh, and my son noticed when he was three that Andy wears a Jessie hat :)

I love it when websites steal stuff off reddit, write up a story with more pictures and pass it off as original content! EXCITING!

The bolded IS the background being proposed... Andy's mom is Emily, owned Jessie, gave Jessie up as a teen, kept the hat (that's the weakest point in all this IMO), Andy's dad gave him Woody, Andy's mom gave him the hat when she saw how much Andy loved Woody.

No, it suggested that perhaps Woody may have belonged to Andy's dad, who we have no clue about, and that Andy's mom owned Jessie.

That is the theory being proposed :)

I loved this idea!

I had seen the theory floated out there before, and I have to admit, the way it is presented...I love it.

Okay, hole in the theory...wouldn't Andy's mom have seen Jessie at some point? Yes, because in Toy Story 3, we see home videos of Andy playing with Jessie. If so, even if she didn't know it was HER Jessie, just knowing it was like the one she had once owned, I would think she would have wanted to keep her. So, the fact that she was so willing to get rid of Jessie (and the other toys), whether by donation or storing it in the attic, without having some sentimental attachment...hmmm, now I'm not so sure.

Now...just because we don't actually SEE Andy's mom recognizing or getting sentimental over Jessie doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Or maybe it was one of those, "How did that get there?" sensations, where Andy's mom misremembers giving Jessie away, and thinks it was somehow stored away at some point and somehow Andy found her.

Curious...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter