• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TOWL Declared for BLT Owners

Not really. The attic never produced revenue, they just put out free punch and cookies. TOWL is a revenue producing unit, so it's a whole different ballgame. Someone is making a profit, not sure if its WDW or DVC. :confused3

Based on several visits there, I don't think that it is making a profit and if it was, Disney would have kept the commercial property. I do know that they have trouble keeping servers because there isn't enough business to generate a fair tip for the CM"s.

:earsboy: Bill

Based on several visits there, I don't think that it is making a profit and if it was, Disney would have kept the commercial property. I do know that they have trouble keeping servers because there isn't enough business to generate a fair tip for the CM"s.

This is exactly the reason why I believe it should be open to either all BLT owners or all DVC members staying on points, regardless of which resort they are staying at. I'm surprised they haven't expanded the member use at TOTWL due to slow business. I can't imagine it is operating in the black at this point. I mean, if you can't keep a server because of low tips, that's a giant red flag, IMO.

I never said anything about this before but I will now. Because of the somewhat unique construction of BLT, they really couldn't have ever used it for anything commercial (non-DVC). Think about the security implications. There's really only one way up there, and the entire facility is SUPPOSE to be secure at that (at least much more so than most other DVCs). It really would have been impractical and probably a nightmare to try to secure the members' areas from the non-members (to the satisfaction of the membership) visiting the TOTWL, IMO.

I'm not sure they really wanted to do this as much as it may have been the most practical answer to THEM. Let the members maintain it since we really can't figure out a way to secure it anyway.

I would not mind if DVC gave additional TOWL access to the high points members, as long as it includes the current rule, too. (Members staying on points @ BLT).

Good news. I use it on every trip and encourage all owners too also. I know from speaking with the bar tender that they switch between TOWL and pool bar. as for the servers all I can say is be a generous tipper. Lets hope we do not lose a great perk.

It seems to me that this means members now pay to maintain and refurbish this area going forward. That will impact the dues. How much remains to be seen. TOWL is not like the Turf Club. The Turf Club is a full Disney restaurant not declared into the Saratoga Springs condo assn. so members don't pay dues towards that. General common area costs are allocated between the hotel operations and the membership based on percentage of use. It looks like now the entire cost of TOWL will be covered by members in the dues. As far as opening it up to members staying at other DVC resorts, the concern was always capacity and having to turn members away at the door. I think if they had some type of true reservation system and stuck to it, they could work it out but then it would have to be first come first served for all members across Disney property or keep it just those staying at BLT. Maybe they could let those staying at BLT book earlier as a perk. I guess we'll see what happens.

Not really. The attic never produced revenue, they just put out free punch and cookies. TOWL is a revenue producing unit, so it's a whole different ballgame. Someone is making a profit, not sure if its WDW or DVC. :confused3

Based on everything I have read this is NOT a good assumption.

I think it's more likely this is running at a LOSS and no one is making a profit.

So perhaps Disney is moving the "loss" to the members.

I have not seen the actual filed documents that made the designation for Cove Bar and TOWL but the announcement states they have been designated as commercial areas that "are now considered part of the common areas" of the DVC resort.

Understand there is a big difference between a "Commerical Unit" at a resort and what is instead designating an area as a limited common element that can be used for commercial purposes. A Commerical Unit is what one would believe that it is: a place where the owner of the unit (e.g., Disney) can stick (either itself or through lease to others) a restaurant or other commercial operation open to all and the owner pays some designated portion of the annual dues (it is really small) but is responsibile for all maintenance, repairs, and upkeep and services at the unit, i.e., there can be no charges to members for the upkeep or operations of the unit, and the owner of the unit keeps all profits. The owner of a commercial unit can choose who it will allow to use it (the Attic at Boardwalk was a commercial unit).

That is not what the announcement indicates has been done with TOWL and COVE. Instead it appears they have been designated as part of the common elements and can be used for commercial purposes,. In that case, all the maintenance, upkeep and repairs of both the real and personal property (the bar, the chairs, etc) in the unit are things that can be included in your dues. Also, the cost of operation over above any costs covered by income from the operation can be included in your dues. This is similar to AKV concierge where the concierge lounge costs are part of dues although the hotel, since it also uses it, pays a share. Moreover, if that is the nature of the designation then you are looking at an area that Disney cannot close off to members staying at the resort without an amendment removing it as a common area and thus it appears Disney does not have the intent to take away members use of it although there is no guarantee it will continue the current operations. Note the costs of a change in operations, such as changing TOWL into a full service restaurant open to all that requires a major reenovation, cannot be passed onto the members and likely, if such a change were to be made, there would be amendment making it an actual commercial unit rather than a common element.

And, will BLT owners staying elsewhere on points (or cash) have access to the TOWL now, unlike historic practice?

BLT owners do not have BLT pool access when staying elsewhere.

I realize this is somewhat different, and think it would be OK to allow other BLT owners (up to a certain % of occupancy) access. to TOWL.

And, will BLT owners staying elsewhere on points (or cash) have access to the TOWL now, unlike historic practice?

That TOWL is or is not designated as a common area for commercial purposes at BLT has no impact one way or the other on whether those not staying there can come there. Those staying at the resort are entitled to use of the common areas and if you are not staying there, even if you own there, does not mean you can use the common areas. That is true for all the DVC resorts. Whether they will ever allow persons not staying there to use TOWL has to do with policies they want to follow in having outsiders not staying at BLT come on the property and not TOWL's common area designation.

Let's be honest, the only time TOTWL is close to or at capacity is during Wishes. Otherwise, all reports are it's a ghost town - hence people concerned dues will need to subsidize the place.

There are a few ways to address that:
- Lounge is only open say 90 minutes prior to and 30-60 minutes following the fireworks (when people care).

- Lounge is only staffed (bar and food only available) as above, but open to use such as Community Hall other times

- Lounge is open to all DVC members until 90 minutes prior to Wishes and again 30-60 minutes after. This way, it's used more often, but still available to BLT members on points for Wishes as intended. If people really want to show up 90-120 minutes before just for wishes, more power to them. I'd just go to the park if I wanted to do that.

And finally,
Be less concerned about members' guests. If I'm staying at BLT on points and have a friend staying at the campground, let me bring the friend up with me as the hotel guest. Because we own DVC, we often visit with friends from NC who either stay with their parents in Lakeland or at the campground (parents are RV'ers).

I have not seen the actual filed documents that made the designation for Cove Bar and TOWL but the announcement states they have been designated as commercial areas that "are now considered part of the common areas" of the DVC resort.

Understand there is a big difference between a "Commerical Unit" at a resort and what is instead designating an area as a limited common element that can be used for commercial purposes. A Commerical Unit is what one would believe that it is: a place where the owner of the unit (e.g., Disney) can stick (either itself or through lease to others) a restaurant or other commercial operation open to all and the owner pays some designated portion of the annual dues (it is really small) but is responsibile for all maintenance, repairs, and upkeep and services at the unit, i.e., there can be no charges to members for the upkeep or operations of the unit, and the owner of the unit keeps all profits. The owner of a commercial unit can choose who it will allow to use it (the Attic at Boardwalk was a commercial unit).

That is not what the announcement indicates has been done with TOWL and COVE. Instead it appears they have been designated as part of the common elements and can be used for commercial purposes,. In that case, all the maintenance, upkeep and repairs of both the real and personal property (the bar, the chairs, etc) in the unit are things that can be included in your dues. Also, the cost of operation over above any costs covered by income from the operation can be included in your dues. This is similar to AKV concierge where the concierge lounge costs are part of dues although the hotel, since it also uses it, pays a share. Moreover, if that is the nature of the designation then you are looking at an area that Disney cannot close off to members staying at the resort without an amendment removing it as a common area and thus it appears Disney does not have the intent to take away members use of it although there is no guarantee it will continue the current operations. Note the costs of a change in operations, such as changing TOWL into a full service restaurant open to all that requires a major reenovation, cannot be passed onto the members and likely, if such a change were to be made, there would be amendment making it an actual commercial unit rather than a common element.

Here's a link to the OCC document

Interestingly, it clearly states the room and elevator area as CE "common element". The bathrooms that TOWL uses are designated LCE "limited common element". The lounge, deck, covered walkway are not given such wording.

Correction, just noticed this wording...
Phase 93 contains one(1) commercial unit

The amendment is dated June 30, 2011, that's before Lewis got fired. Should we be worried? :scared1:

Let's be honest, the only time TOTWL is close to or at capacity is during Wishes. Otherwise, all reports are it's a ghost town - hence people concerned dues will need to subsidize the place.

I don't believe it's all that much per point to subsidize it.

If I remember right, the hours are 5-12 and there are up to 5 employees (2 downstairs, 1 bartender, and 2 waitstaff).

Here's a stab at the cost...
5 (employees) * 7 hours (5-12) * $12/hr (likely high) * 365 (days/year) = $153,300.
Let's assume another $46,700 for operating expense.
Roughly $200,000 to operate annually.

I believe there are approximately 5.67 million points at BLT.

That would come out to 3.5 cents per point.

If TOWL stays available to members, that seems like a bargain for exclusive access to a place with some of the best views.

The amendment is dated June 30, 2011, that's before Lewis got fired. Should we be worried? :scared1:

That might end up being a good sign.

Wasn't it around the start of July when they stopped sales for Aulani?

Maybe they realized someone realized missed some wording in the docments and changing it's member access would result in legal issues. (We can hope)

Great news. Love visiting there when staying at our home resort. Have been worried about trying to get in some evening and being told there was a private party as happened to me once at another locale.

Here's a link to the OCC document

Interestingly, it clearly states the room and elevator area as CE "common element". The bathrooms that TOWL uses are designated LCE "limited common element". The lounge, deck, covered walkway are not given such wording. The page with the TOWL shows "CU-2" which seems to generally indicate "Commercial Unit". However, I don't see the wording of "Commercial Unit" used for TOWL.

On the other hand, the Cove Bar is designated "Commercial Unit 1" and the diagram labels it CU-1.
I

What that is showing me is that the initial report stating they will be common elements is wrong. TOWL and Cove Bar are Commerical Units, which are not common elements and the BLT DVC members do not have any ownership interest in them as common areas or otherwise. They are self-sustaining units required to maintain themselves and the owner, Disney, covers all costs of maintenance and operation. The units will have token dues to pay (it is at most dollars not hundreds) The things designated as Limited Common Elements are actually what are called Commercial Unit LCE which is like a common area but a little different. It is an area appurtenant to a Commercial Unit that the association, i.e., the members through dues, will have the responsibility for maintaining but the owner of the commercial unit can make use of it and make changes to those areas at its own expense. Disney, if it wanted to, could turn TOWL, since it is a commercial unit for which the owner of the unit gets to control the use, into something not useable by DVC members. This designation is not a surprise, and does not reflect anything monumentally new and is something that probably could have been done in the original filings but they just waited until final designation of all units to add those in as commercial units. In other words, nothing has really changed.

yea!

to me it has changed because I expected Disney to take it away and use it for rental only.

now hopefully DVC member at BLT can kept it. so no longer can see Wishes from here next year - but for many to come.

This is interesting news. Not sure I fully understand it. It does get crowded before wishes and empties out right afterwards. If they do decide to raise our MFs to help with operations of TOTWL then I say as a owner, I should be able to visit if I stay at BLT or Kidani or any property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter