Towing from Ohio...

PoohNPiglet

Children are a blessing from the Lord!
Hi all,

Question -- we're thinking of coming down from Ohio in May of 2013, towing an ~3800 popup (fully loaded) with our V6, 213hp TV. Here's our concern: West Virginia.

Anyone have any experience towing through those marvelous hills? Our TV's handled PA and its heights fine (held at 50-55 in 4th through the worst parts), but we know full well WVA is worse -- I think we're actually more concerned with the descents -- i.e. are any of the downward paths such that you have to worry about boiling your brake fluid??? Or are most descents gradual enough engine braking is sufficient?

Thanks!
John

p.s. Please be kind -- I've noticed these types of questions can cause "religious" wars at times, and a flamefest would simply not help. :)

I did this drive with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with the tow package and the Jeep has a straight-6 engine. I went from Dayton, OH. to the Fort going down I-75. My pop-up is about 2750 GVWR, but it has electric brakes which are very useful.

I think the route you are talking about through W.Virginia is I-64? I've done that drive too with the above setup to go from Dayton, OH. to Myrtle Beach. I'm a pretty conservative driver and don't mind taking my time on these drives. In each of these cases I felt like there were plenty of level areas between the ascent/descent.

Nowadays my tow vehicle is a 2006 V8 Ford Explorer with the tow package and I still drive pretty conservatively.

Good luck!

Don't know what part of Ohio you are coming from but we goto the east coast through WV on Route 50/ I64 (from Northern KY) and it's worse than I75.... more, longer inclines. If you can get to I75 route it's not bad, except for Jellico at the KY/TN border. We also tow (~2900lbs) popup with a 5K rated vehicle.

During the decends you don't want to keep riding the brakes. I just downshift and let the engine do the work. Just prepare for the hills (both up and down)and you'll do fine.

Our family just came back from a trip to Orlando and we towed through the mountains in WV, I'm not sure if you'll be coming the same way we did, but we drove the Interstate the entire way.

We were towing our 30' travel trailer with our pickup. The tow was fine. Sure there are 'mountains' without a doubt but as long as your tow vehicle and trailer are in good shape you should have no issues.

As has been suggested don't ride your brakes. I also assume you have proper trailer braking which is an absolute must.

Thanks everyone for your replies -- I think we'll do I-75 to avoid the big hills -- I'm just not wanting to stress out my current TV that much... (I was eyeballing an F-150 Ecoboost or Expedition as the next TV... ah, perhaps someday... :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter