Tower of Terror

I agree with others that you should try the not so scary rides first. DD has been asking to ride a roller coaster ever since she could talk so we started with BTMR the last time we went, when she was 4. When I realized how much she loved it I felt much better about the other rides. Then we went on "Splish" Splash Mountain just to see if she could handle a drop. She loved loved loved that ride. So the next day at DHS we stood outside of ToT for a while watching the people drop when the windows opened up. ToT turned out to be her favorite ride and we had to ride it again several times during the trip. I think the most important thing is to let the kids decide for themselves while still encouraging them to try new things.

My youngest son (now 19) rode it when he was 3. We rode it over and over and over, he would tell any adult who looked scared in line how it was not bad at all and that Mickey wouldn't make anything that would hurt you. His older brother on the other had rode it once at 6, and never wanted to get back on until he was 13.

I knew the youngest was a thrill seeker his first trip at 18 mos, when I took his DB to ride Splash and my poor Mom was trying to scrape my younger son off the "you must be this tall" sign while he was screaming " I RIDE!, I RIDE!"

I find just the opposite of strange looks. Most people are very enthusiastic about small kids in the line and give them lots of thumbs-up and high fives. In fact, I've had lots of parents with older kids who are unsure about the ride using my DD as reassurance for them. "Look, if that tiny 3 yo girl can handle it, you'll be fine!"

My DD was 3.5 when she first rode in Sept 2009. She's done it every trip since, with much enthusiasm. She doesn't care for the movie or the "Twilight Zone" parts, so she just closes her eyes for those. She loves the drop and would do that part over and over again.

Took my DD'S 4 & 5 IN 2009,and they WILL NOT ride it again;been back 3 times since,and they REFUSE to ride;They rode BTMRR with no problem,rode SM once,won't ride again,won't ride Space either.:confused3 My girls are just not the thrill ride types I guess-maybe when they get older!;) Coincidentally,I have to DRAG my DW on Everest and Space every time!:sad2:

Well in that case you can always say.... "they get it from their mama" LOL:rotfl2:

eta there to their ;0

My almost-6 year old wants NOTHING to do with "thrilling" rides. DH wants to try to force her on some of them with the idea that she'll end up really liking it. I'm pretty well convinced she'll be scarred for life. I know, because my dad tricked me onto a roller coaster when I was little, and I was terrified of them until I was almost an adult.
So... If there's even any doubt, don't do it. I'd definitely start out small and work your way up. My same DH who loves thrill rides, is not a fan of ToT.

My kids (now 7 & 9) have ridden almost everything they are tall enough to ride. The only ride that both kids refuse to ride again (until they are teens) is TOT. They rode it when they were 4 & 6 and they were so scared. It didn't help that they were in the front row! If they weren't in the front row, I believe they would have tolerated it better. I definitely recommend viewing it on you tube first and then having a child make a decision about riding or not riding it.

My 7 year olds rode it a few weeks ago for the first time and were TERRIFIED of the pre-show. They were clinging to me as if their lives depended on it! It also didn't help that we got stuck in the hallway part, just before the drop. In the pitch dark. shock Took them 20 minutes to get us back down! Somehow I convinced them to ride again later in the day, and again they didn't care for the pre-show but LOVED the actual drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter