Tower of Terror w/o the drop?

Robo, leave it up to you to create a new ride for people who don't want to do the REAL ride! Tower of Timid, indeed! :teeth:

It's a fantastic ride, if you like that sort of thrill (I didn't care for it the first time I rode but love it now). It's like experiencing a big drop hill on a major coaster, but with a feeling of shooting upward in between drops and the nervous anticipation of not knowing when the drop will happen, or how often. But the tummy/head sensation is like the drop on a big coaster.

I always thought it was slightly sadistic that they make the Ride Whimps (I was one once, too) get on an elevator to avoid riding the elevator.....

Sorry, I just had to add this.....

Disney actually HAS the slow elevator ride back down to earth. You can try it any time you visit a resort!

Someone asked what the drop feels like . . . to me it feels like you're riding a giant yo-yo. The ride is extremely smooth and to me feels very safe (and I have a phobia of anything that makes me feel suspended without support, and I ride this one without a problem). There's no huge jerk/screeching halt at the bottom and after the innitial "tug" down you can immediately feel the controlled operation of the descent and rise back up.

Can I do the teacup ride in fantasy land and not have them turn it on?

How about space mountain, just slow it down a lot and turn the lights on.

Why does Soaring California have to get off the ground?

I hate rides with drops -- like Splash Mountain. I do it, but I definitely don't like it.

That being said, I rode ToT 3 times last week!!!
I thought it was great! All the effects before the ride were great. Also, all three rides were definitely different.

The first time I rode was definitely the tamest, the second time the wildest -- it seemed like we went all the way up and all the way down the whole time! And the last time was somewhere in between.

Don't be a chicken !! Try the ride -- it only lasts a short time, I'm sure you'll survive it.

TOT is my FAVORITE ride. I love being dropped down and screaming my guts out the whole way. Last time I was there DH decided not to go, so this mom asked if I would go with her 3 older kids...I think they were 10-12 yrs old. I said sure, and it was SOOOO much fun! I LOVE the seats that dont have belts...Because if you sit next to a bigger person with the bar you get more "flight" time, than in a belt. Are all the seats belts now, or do they still have bars?????

KJMAX1 said:
TOT is my FAVORITE ride. I love being dropped down and screaming my guts out the whole way. Last time I was there DH decided not to go, so this mom asked if I would go with her 3 older kids...I think they were 10-12 yrs old. I said sure, and it was SOOOO much fun! I LOVE the seats that dont have belts...Because if you sit next to a bigger person with the bar you get more "flight" time, than in a belt. Are all the seats belts now, or do they still have bars?????
There are seatbelts now.

For me, the operative word is Terror :) I avoid Terror at all costs. too bad, though, cause I think I would enjoy the rest of the hotel.

yeah i have a question about the seats.

Isn't anyone worried that with the 'air time' you get, your body would just pop open the seatbelt? because i sure am! I really want to ride it, but im terified that the seat belt will unfasten and then i really will be feeling like i was 'up in the clouds"

someone please put me at ease, and then come with me in october so you can calm me down when im on the ride, and it goes up..........and then goes dddooooowwwwnnnnnn

Robo said:
Well, no.
If someone is afraid of 4 drops, why would they NOT be afraid of ONE?

(Which, BTW, is the way the ride WAS in the beginning.)

My point exactly-bring the original version back for the "chicken contingent"...

sort of like childbirth...

you forget all about the pain & inconvenience as soon as it's over...

one drop per trip I can handle, the unknown factor is what un-nerves me.:teeth:

Does anyone else's heart pound out of their chest when you know the drops coming? It starts as soon as the ride starts to move up and doesn't stop until the swirly black and white screen near the end!! :teeth:

sleepyone said:
There are seatbelts now.
Darn. I'm only 5', 105 lbs - this was one of my all-time favorite rides because there would always be someone bigger in my row, thereby giving me maximum air-time! Love those negative G's :thumbsup2
As far as a description, I agree with the analogy of the major drop on a coaster. How do they affect you? If you love 'em, you'll love TOT. If you handle them OK, you'll still probably love TOT. If they make you nauseated and quesy for the rest of the day, skip the drops, but do walk through the pre-show.

Stitch's Greatest Fa said:
I am finally considering this ride this year, what sensation does it produce when you drop? Someone on here describied it as 'quite pleasant'.

It is not 'quite pleasant' IMO! LOL I love the theming, but I don't like the drops. The floaty stomach thing combined with the fact that you KNOW there's nothing underneath you...and you're definitely going to drop, who knows how many times... UGH! It's definitely thrilling, so I can see how people love it. I think I'll do it once every 10 years or so. lol

Oh and I LOVE roller coasters, even big drops. But I think for me the difference is that on a coaster there's track under you (or you're hanging from it) so that whole fear of falling freely isn't there.

I love ToT! Unfortunately, my DD6 doesn't. She's ridden it twice now. Once in FLA, once in CA. Before she rode it in WDW I had to exit the ride twice with her. Once before we were seated, and once just before they closed the doors. So yes, you can exit up until the last moment (door closing) but after that-you are committed!

My DD6's comment after her first ride, was "you didn't tell me my butt would raise off the seat" (And I thought I told her everything) In CA at DCA, I held her down so she wouldn't raise up but she still said she didn't like it. This time it was that it went up and down too fast. Unlike WDW there is no moving forward part, the elevator starts it movement, up and down, as soon as you see the ghosts. I like it better that way, but she doesn't. I might be able to get her back on the one at WDW this year, if not, my mom and I will trade off.

Oh, and please don't think I force her to ride anything. I have gotten off several rides at DL and WDW with her. Sometimes, even after she has already ridden them before. Dland HM and Matterhorn, come to mind. Now, she loves Matterhorn and her new fav. is BTM. But don't ask her to ride SM again! :confused3

My whole family loves this ride and they always tell me how the drop is no big deal. Now I HATE rides with sudden drops. But with continued assurances it was no big deal, I finally went on the last October. I was absolutely terrified and hated the whole experience. Just goes to show you that every person reacts differently to the same ride, If you have any reservations at all, take the chicken line.

It is an awesome ride. The whole theming of the hotel adds to the feel. It is a smooth ride, you don't really have that "jerky feeling" while riding it. I rode it four times in a row while everyone else was watching Beauty and the Beast. Hopefully there are no lines when we go again in October.

Put me down for the 'Tower of Timid' group. My DD (7 at the time) begged me into taking her on it last year -- she had already gone once with her grandpa, but he didn't want to ride it again. I finally gave in -- and then just as the ride started, she suddenly decided she wanted off. Of course, it was too late then, and we were both in for it!

It's the only ride I rode that I'll never ride again. I literally had nightmares about it all that following night -- I kept feeling like I was falling and going into a panic, every time I started falling asleep :crazy:

I actually prefer the seatbelts now that they have. Being "Pooh sized"
the bar was always holding me in and everyone else lifted out of thier seats, now with a seatbelt you get lifted out too. :thumbsup2
You can do the preshow and then take the chicken exit. I did that last time under much protest as I was only 3 months pregnant then and somehow people didnt think me dropping in a elevator was a good idea. :confused3

Is it Feb yet? are we back can I gon on the ride?? :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter