Tower of Terror for 4 year old

Our DD went on it on our last trip when she had just turned 4. She is a little daredevil and loves Splash and BTMR. However she was scared on ToT and did not like it. It didn't ruin anything for her but she was clutching my hand so tightly and close to tears and when she came off she told daddy that she was "never doing that ride again". I'm pretty sure it was the darkness that did it for her. I'm not ready to let her try Space Mountain yet because I'm sure the darkness will freak her out and I can't even sit next to her for her to bury her head in me if she gets scared, so that one's out for now.
But if your DD really wants to try it I say let her! She may love it! Just work your way up to it.

Oh she will definitely be doing space mountain wifey. She will have her dad to protect her! But we will see about tower of terror. As previous posters have mentioned, ride less intense and then try out ToT later into the trip.

Our Daughter was also a daredevil at 4 and insisted on riding. Now no longer a daredevil, cant even get her on any waterslide bigger than the kiddie ones at water parks. It scared her to death.

We actually bought the photo at the end. I have never seen a look of shear terror like that photo shows.

Both my kids loved it at that age but they like every coaster and thrill ride they get on. If they are a daredevil then I say go for it!

My DS is by all means no daredevil and he is tiny too. He kept saying before we went that he was going to ride it. I expected him to chicken out. I was kind of hoping that he would. ;) But he didn't. And, it's his favorite ride now. DH and I had to keep taking turns on it last year until we were both sick!:scared:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful stories and advice, everyone! I feel much better about letting her ride now that I've heard y'all's stories! If she's still up for it, I'll let her ride (and I might just join her and my DH).

I can't wait to share the ride photo with everyone! Thanks again! :)

Think that it is great that you are watching the Youtube rides, we are doing that as well for a 6 year old daredevil and a 12 year old who is the polar opposite but insisting she wants to be a daredevil this trip lol (we'll see how that goes). I am sure she will do well, ToT is an awesome ride/ experience imo. Have fun! PS I love your daughters name, so pretty and unique!

My son rode it when he was 3 in fact it was his first ride on that trip. He didn't love it but was OK with it and said he would ride again. Hopefully she will love it because it is one the best rides in WDW. Oh and love your profile picture she is adorable.

My niece rode it over and over at age 3; it was her favorite! Snow White on the other hand.....

It is my son's absolutely favorite ride. He rode it first when he was 3 and then again when he was 4.

Each child is different of course, but as others have suggested you may want to consider other rides first. Splash Mountain is good to see if she minds the drop. Haunted Mansion could be a good test to see if she minds the 'scary' and darkness.

Space Mountain is also dark and has drops....so a good combination as well.

Have fun!

When my older was DD was 4, not only was she a HUGE Alice fan, like your sweet girl (dressed like Alice EVERY DAY!!!) she also insisted on riding ToT.

It was practically the first thing we did. We went to DHS, saw Beauty & The Beast stage show and she insisted that she wanted to ride ToT. She heard the people screaming, she saw the "creepy" pre-show and stood in the queue in the "spooky" basement and still insisted she was not scared and wanted to ride. Since she was so little, the CM at the elevator triple-checked with her. As soon as she was in that elevator and they showed us the "ghosts" and it was pitch black, she became hysterical.

She literally sobbed for the duration of the ride and when the lights came up, everyone on that elevator looked at me like I was the Meanest Mom Ever. I just scooped her up and tried to reassure her that all was well and that Disney had to include rides for everyone and some people like to be scared. :rolleyes:

I share this experience just to say that we did not have trouble getting her on anything else for the rest of the trip, with the exception of HM ;) She saw the exterior and wanted to no part of it!

During our previous trips, she was not tall enough for the "major" attractions and was completely unafraid of Splash, BTMRR, etc.

Don't feel like you have to save it for the last thing you do -- she may end up leaving with not-so-great memories ;)

Good luck! Have fun!

Children that young should NOT be going on ToT. If only to spare me the indignity of being less calm and collected on a thrill ride than a child.

Seriously, though, if she's big enough for it, and into it, why not let her go on?

When we last went two years ago, my DD who had just turned 4 yrs. old, insisted on riding TOT.

When we got off the ride, right before you enter the section where you buy the picture, she threw herself to the floor screaming and crying that TOT was the most horrible ride ever and that she would never go on it again!! Of course other families were buying their picture and we received the horrible parent stares. We stood in line, bought our picture and then walked through the gift shop.

By the time we reached the ride entrance again, you have to walk past it to leave the area, DD was once again insisting on going back on the ride. I think we ended up going on the ride 3 or 4 times in a row.

During all of this, my DS was starting to freak out. He is 2 years older and wasn’t all that thrilled with the ride but never said anything to us. Once we realized what was going on, we told him he didn’t have to go on the ride. He refused to sit out but would still freak out!! I don’t think he wanted his sister to show him up.

We decided to take a TOT break. I wanted to ride RnR, so we took a walk over and I noticed a temp tattoo stand near RnR and DS decided to get a Cobra tattoo. I told him that they weren’t afraid of anything and that did the trick, it took away all his fears from TOT.

My DD was 3 the first time she rode it. Twice that year. Then she went years without riding it. ;)

The first time she rode it she still had a sippy cup. It was attached to her waist pack. I thought this was a great idea to keep her water. (ha!)

She grabbed on to her Daddy and when the ride was over, DH's crotch was wet from the sippy cup. :lmao:

He walked out of the ride holding his hat in front of his lap.

my son was riding it when he was 3 and his sister who was 6 wouldn't even get on it. I think it's per kid per basis choice. :)

My 4 year old wanted a T-Shirt from the TofT that said I rode the Tof T, but she didn't want to ride it. I told her No, you've got to ride it first. She did and has loved it ever since.

If she really wants to ride it, I would impress two things on her -- the first is something I tell every child I put on a theme park ride. If you get on and decide you don't like it, stay seated, hold on tight, and it will be over soon. It may be scary, but you will be safe at all times and while it may be uncomfortable/unpleasant you are not in any danger. (My kids are actually given permission to cry, scream, etc but they may NOT try to escape the ride, and we talk about it ad nauseum before every theme park trip.) And secondly, I would mention to her that it's the scariest thing she'll do, so if she can do it, nothing is *scarier* than that.

When we were there in '07, my DS (then 4) did ToT for the first time, and LOVED it. He rode it three times in a row! The folks around us got a big kick out of that. (His older sister, however, still hates ToT!)

Go for it! My Dd was 4 and DS was 5 the first time they rode it. DS was hesitant DD wanted to ride. She loved it. Her and I rode it again. We have the photo and it is so cute. DS holding onto DH looking scared, me looking at DD holding her legs down, the two adult women behind us look terrified and DD has her pigtails in and her hands up, with a huge smile on her face :goodvibes

My son rode it at age 3 and again at 4. He loved it so much that we rode multiple times in a row. AND I'm with you...I think it's the scariest ride in Disney, but it's also my favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter