Tower of Terror 2/3 shafts down???

rtravels

Mouseketeer
Hello,
Anyone in parks this weekend see longer than normal waits for Tower of Terror? I read on another board that 2 out of the 3 elevator shafts were closed. True? And why? And for how long?

Yes, on Wednesday morning they told us it was only operating at half capacity. They didn't give out FPs all day because of the limited capacity.

We were there in march when all three shafts were down at the same time - for the first time ever. Man, that was bad.

2/3 shafts were down when we were there last month as well. Made for long waits starting even early in the day.

Same thing happened end of January. We were talking to a CM, and he said that since ToT is essentially three different rides, they'll often have one shaft down for regular maintenance, especially in the lower season. An issue with one of the other shafts caused it to go down, so they were down to one working shaft. We had about an hour wait in line (not sure how long it had been down before we got in line) and when we got to the front of the line we ended up being in the first group on the fixed elevator shaft. We weren't nervous at all!!! :lmao: They do work to get it back up pretty quickly!

Another interesting note, he said he'd been working that ride for eight years, and, if I remember correctly, in those eight years only two or three times could he remember all three shafts having to close down at the same time. It usually happens when they're having electrical issues, apparently Disney has its own electrical source separate from Anaheim, but if their source goes down then they start pulling from Anaheim, and apparently Anaheim doesn't like that very much, can't imagine why, lol! In that case a lot of the rides go down until they get it sorted out. I'm probably remembering the details wrong, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit of info anyways!

Yup. The refurb calendar that is sent out from Disneyland to travel agents mentions it running at 1/2 capacity for quite some while. I think until January of next year. I'm curious to see how this all plays out for us when we visit the Disneyland Resort this August. :worried:

That sure would explain a lot.. I was there Wed-Friday last week and everytime we went by there the line was ridiculously long (almost a 2 hour wait) and there were no fast passes to be had.. which really sucked! Oh well.. gives us another reason to go again ;)

Good to know, since ToT was one of the only reasons we were going to hop. Not worth it to me if the wait is that long.

I'm hoping they'll be dishing out FP's again by the time we head down there in August.

Yes, on Wednesday morning they told us it was only operating at half capacity. They didn't give out FPs all day because of the limited capacity.
There were also no FPs on Friday (6/14). I did not ride, so don't know how many shafts were operating.

On Saturday FPs were available. 2 of the 3 shafts were operating, right shaft (facing the building) was down.

Are there actually 3 shafts? I've never ever seen the far one running and thought it was a dummy shaft for some spacing or aesthetic purpose.

The fastpass machines were covered up tonight. There were no CMs out there or anything, but the line was only fourty minutes.

Then how can the above quote of half bring shut down be true?

lol! Good point. Half-capacity is just an expression that the ride is partially running. I guess it'd just be confusing for some people if they got technical and said it's running at 1/3 or 2/3 capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter