• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

I do workout in a minimalist shoe but for my warm ups and post workout 400m cool downs I wear my asics and I have a pair of other running shoes that I wore for princess weekend and another half I did in April. I'm just suddenly a bit concerned about the endurance aspect of the runs. I am doing the 5k with my wife and daughter in the morning our first as a family but with the 10miler that night I'm just not sure how I will handle the run.

If you haven't run more than a 1/2 mile since April to all of a sudden run a 5K in the morning and 10 miles that night will be tough to do. If you're doing Crossfit then you should be in decent shape. The feet and legs might not be ready for the pounding of 13 miles in one day. I would say that you should try to up the running if you want to enjoy the race and not be in pain for days after. I'm no expert yet but I would try to do a 5K distance 3-4 times a week and if you're feeling good in a couple weeks try for a long run a couple times before you go. You just need to get the lower body used to the miles. I would just run one day, off the next, run the next, off the next and so on.

If you haven't run more than a 1/2 mile since April to all of a sudden run a 5K in the morning and 10 miles that night will be tough to do. If you're doing Crossfit then you should be in decent shape. The feet and legs might not be ready for the pounding of 13 miles in one day. I would say that you should try to up the running if you want to enjoy the race and not be in pain for days after. I'm no expert yet but I would try to do a 5K distance 3-4 times a week and if you're feeling good in a couple weeks try for a long run a couple times before you go. You just need to get the lower body used to the miles. I would just run one day, off the next, run the next, off the next and so on.
luckily I've never been fast but that is my plan to put some runs in before tower run day.

We are arriving Fri 10/3 in the afternoon - myself, husband and 10 year old twins. I am running/walking the TOT 10 miler solo while my husband hangs at the resort with the kids. I am relatively new to racing. The only official races I have done are a 10K last year and an 8K two years ago. I am not really a night person, but occasionally my occupation forces me to be up at all hours of the night (I deliver babies). My husband and kids don't want to attend the after party, so it will be just me.

I need to decide where to stay Fri 10/3 and Sat 10/4 during race weekend. We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and will be staying at Marriott Grande Vista Sun 10/5-Sun 10/12 (2 bed/2 bath) and will be renting a car. I planned on staying the additional nights at Marriott Grande Vista. Tonight, I was able to get a reservation at Port Orleans Riverside for Fri and Sat nights of race weekend (AP discount). Price is the same.

What to choose?? I am not a big fan of changing resorts Sun after the race, but am thinking it may be safer/easier to use Disney transportation to and from the race if I stay at Port Orleans Riverside rather than taking the bus to ESPN and then driving the 15-20 minutes offsite after a big race alone late at night. We have stayed at both of these resorts before.

Maybe I am overthinking this. Anyone staying offsite? Thanks!

:woohoo: I bet it will be some time early next week. I just hope that I didn't mess up my submission of POT. (I always fear I am going to mess it up)

I am also worried they will mess up my corral. Since they do not make changes at the expo, we are at the mercy of someone entered our data into the computer. Hopefully we are all in the correct corrals.

We are arriving Fri 10/3 in the afternoon - myself, husband and 10 year old twins. I am running/walking the TOT 10 miler solo while my husband hangs at the resort with the kids. I am relatively new to racing. The only official races I have done are a 10K last year and an 8K two years ago. I am not really a night person, but occasionally my occupation forces me to be up at all hours of the night (I deliver babies). My husband and kids don't want to attend the after party, so it will be just me.

I need to decide where to stay Fri 10/3 and Sat 10/4 during race weekend. We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and will be staying at Marriott Grande Vista Sun 10/5-Sun 10/12 (2 bed/2 bath) and will be renting a car. I planned on staying the additional nights at Marriott Grande Vista. Tonight, I was able to get a reservation at Port Orleans Riverside for Fri and Sat nights of race weekend (AP discount). Price is the same.

What to choose?? I am not a big fan of changing resorts Sun after the race, but am thinking it may be safer/easier to use Disney transportation to and from the race if I stay at Port Orleans Riverside rather than taking the bus to ESPN and then driving the 15-20 minutes offsite after a big race alone late at night. We have stayed at both of these resorts before.

I would definitely stay at Port Orleans and use the race transportation and avoid having to drive to and from the race start.

I am also worried they will mess up my corral. Since they do not make changes at the expo, we are at the mercy of someone entered our data into the computer. Hopefully we are all in the correct corrals.

Why didn't you check the PoT link before they closed it to make sure everything was correct?

Why didn't you check the PoT link before they closed it to make sure everything was correct?

I did, but I still think there is a possibility of error. A friend had a huge problem with her corral placement for WDW Marathon weekend and they basically told her tough luck. She was running the Dopey Challenge.

Hi all! Just found this thread! Can't wait for the race, it will be the longest distance I've officially run. I'm curious to find out what my corral will be!

I do workout in a minimalist shoe but for my warm ups and post workout 400m cool downs I wear my asics and I have a pair of other running shoes that I wore for princess weekend and another half I did in April.

I'm just suddenly a bit concerned about the endurance aspect of the runs.

I am doing the 5k with my wife and daughter in the morning our first as a family but with the 10miler that night I'm just not sure how I will handle the run.

Definitely wear what you're used to. (my problem is that I'm not used to a shoe and no shoe feels good...I was trying to wean to the Vibram sole NBs but didn't have the miles-in-the-shoes in yet, and my formerly-trusty Asics stability shoes were absolutely destroying my feet as I got more used to the Vibram soles, so I was lost)

If you're anything like me, and trust me, I wouldn't have thought ahead of last weekend that I would be saying my cardio fitness was great, you'll be OK. There might not be a ton of running in CrossFit, but you do endurance in other ways.

Do the fun family 5K, go to the resort, rest, relax, fuel up, nap... Then go do the next part. I did all of that distance in one shot! :)

Definitely wear what you're used to. (my problem is that I'm not used to a shoe and no shoe feels good...I was trying to wean to the Vibram sole NBs but didn't have the miles-in-the-shoes in yet, and my formerly-trusty Asics stability shoes were absolutely destroying my feet as I got more used to the Vibram soles, so I was lost) If you're anything like me, and trust me, I wouldn't have thought ahead of last weekend that I would be saying my cardio fitness was great, you'll be OK. There might not be a ton of running in CrossFit, but you do endurance in other ways. Do the fun family 5K, go to the resort, rest, relax, fuel up, nap... Then go do the next part. I did all of that distance in one shot! :)
I did a 10k run Saturday morning after work in the shoes I only run in and not my fastest time but far from my slowest. I guess that's what I get for not being very fast and a person that does the run/walk program. It always varies how much I mix it up. Looks like this will be a normal Saturday routine maybe or I will just wing it. I'm hoping to get plenty of rest that day but not sure what the family will allow me to do.

I would stay at POR just because of the transportation. It's a wonderful resort and on top of that, you don't have to worry about how to get to and from the race. If your plans allow, try to have Sunda be a very casual morning and afternoon so you can maybe get some more sleep before check out and transferring resorts isn't so rushed.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OR CAN YOU POINT ME IN A DIRECTION FOR HALLOWEEN OR SIMILAR INSPIRED RUNNING PANTS FOR FEMALES. WE ARE RUNNING THE TOT AND I WANT TO GET A PAIR FOR MY WIFE. THANKS!!!pixiedust:

I think the main considerations are: 1. do you feel like you'll be awake enough to make the drive after, and 2. will you feel safe enough on your own going from car to resort? I've yet to stay at a host resort for this race, but I do stay onsite for both of those reasons: I'm comfortable driving the short distance from one WDW property to another, and I feel safe walking to my room alone. The offsite options I've considered didn't meet that criteria. But I'm not familiar with Marriott Grande Vista, so YMMV.

Btw, I wanted to show you all my new Ohio license plates I just got. My wife and I love going to the Tower of Terror race each year as a little getaway and I love sharing my love of, well, all things Run Disney!

RunDisney Crazy , little expensive, but maybe something like what they have on this page.. I actually like the mummy tech shirt for men. Just not sure if I want to spend 50 bucks to possibly only wear it once.. :)

http://www.inknburn.com/halloween-1/women-1.html

If you see someone else with that mummy shirt it most likely will be me,I'm doing ToT and another Halloween themed half marathon so I went out and got it.I'm not into elaborate costumes that will impede my running so if you sell a themed tech shirt then I'll be interested.Sign up with an account with Ink n Burn before you buy and they'll send you a coupon code so it will be cheaper than the $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter