• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

Congrats to everyone who has already done their 10ks. My daughter and I run ours this Sunday and, of course, I hurt my knee last weekend. Haven't been able to run since Saturday but I am finally walking without limping. Unfortunately, this is the only 10k in my area before the July 1 deadline so we have to do it. Our time won't be good but I've read on this board many times that any time is better than no time!

I've been following this thread since the beginning and am getting really excited - especially now that I have seen the medal with 2014 on it. Thanks for posting that. It's great motivation. I can't believe that in exactly 4 months from today we will all be gearing up for racenight!

Congrats to everyone who has already done their 10ks. My daughter and I run ours this Sunday and, of course, I hurt my knee last weekend. Haven't been able to run since Saturday but I am finally walking without limping. Unfortunately, this is the only 10k in my area before the July 1 deadline so we have to do it. Our time won't be good but I've read on this board many times that any time is better than no time! I've been following this thread since the beginning and am getting really excited - especially now that I have seen the medal with 2014 on it. Thanks for posting that. It's great motivation. I can't believe that in exactly 4 months from today we will all be gearing up for racenight!

Def any proof of time is better then none, I didn't think my time was great but looks like its good enough to jump a few corrals

Hope the knee feels better soon

Didn't think about that but yay 4 month mark

I'm starting Galloway training tonight! This is going to be so different than my Princess half marathon training which was in temps of 40 degrees and under. It's mid 80s today. Yikes!

::yes:: We're in the high-80s/low-90s at this point and for sure - it's an entirely different beast! Time to s l o w it down and focus on form, distance and not keeling over from heat stroke, lol! :faint:

Congrats Waitingtogoback! That is actually a pretty good time, really good for a first race. Running is a mental thing, really holds a lot of people back. Glad to see you broke through it. Now, just get used to the heat and humidity of the South and you'll be ready!!

And good luck with the addiction. Right now I'm really into running races, whether it's the medals, which I do love, or the motivation to keep training or just simply the runs themselves, anyway, it's addictive. And Disney, well, is Disney, it's the best of this and the best of that. Truly unique. Quite expensive but truly unique. I don't see how some can run several races a year from far away. I ran my first in january and will do the ToT but only cause I had airline credits for the first go round. I would love to do Star Wars and another WDW race to get the Coast to Coast but that may be it for me. I would perhaps travel to other areas and do some of those amazing races and probably for a good bit cheaper. Just my thoughts. But I do love Disney races!!

I can see becoming addicted to running. I do like riding my bike though. I often fight with myself on which I am doing to do on which day. I may have to do an ironman in the future. :)

Yep, I'm using it for proof of time. I figure anything is better than nothing! As far as the half, I figure it's just another 5k beyond the 10 miler. It doesn't sounds as intimidating when i think of it that way since I've done several 5ks this year already and know I can get through them easily. Of course, none of those 5ks were after running 10 miles but that's ok, I'm sure it will be fine :) Seriously, as long as we put in the training I think the half marathon will be as do-able as the 10 miler.

Yeah, I figure the same thing. I was running my 10K and I was feeling pretty good, I know I could have gone more after that so I feel pretty confident that by October I will be ready for a 1/2 marathon (provided no injuries).

Hi, Everyone! Late to the thread, but just wanted to say that I will be at ToT this year! It's my first RunDisney race, and it's my birthday weekend! I'm looking forward to it.

Def any proof of time is better then none, I didn't think my time was great but looks like its good enough to jump a few corrals

Hope the knee feels better soon

Didn't think about that but yay 4 month mark

Wow..... 4 month mark, exactly. Man, it seems like October is so far away. And cooler temsp seem so far away. Today is supposed to be the first time this year we hit the 90 mark. which is so, so odd, since we're usually been in the 90s for a while. this is one of the latest that it's taken. 2011 the highs for the last few days were over the 100 degree mark.

But getting back to it, wow, only 4 months, better start running!!

Hi everyone! This will be my first runDisney race and I could not be more excited! I'm staying at FW in our RV and I'm having some concerns about getting to the race and expo because I'm not sure if we are bringing the car. Any advice on how the transportation works for the race and expo? Thanks and I can't wait for the race!:goodvibes

Hi everyone! This will be my first runDisney race and I could not be more excited! I'm staying at FW in our RV and I'm having some concerns about getting to the race and expo because I'm not sure if we are bringing the car. Any advice on how the transportation works for the race and expo? Thanks and I can't wait for the race!:goodvibes

Welcome fellow runDisney rookie. I don't think FW is a host resort so the only option if to have a car of your own or get to a host resort and take the buses from there. WL is a host resort I am just not sure how close they are. From what I have heard, FW is a huge resort so walking that and then walking to WL might be a lot, especially on the way back AFTER running 10 miles. Never experienced it myself, this is all from things I have heard. If you can't bring your car maybe you could rent one just for the day of the race to get to and from. All the other days you are there Disney transportation will probably do just fine.

Would this half be in MA? Cuz if so that's a brilliant idea. I might just steal it :lmao:

Just thought I'd pass on some more info I learned last night in case you still want to do the 1/2. I was about to register for the one I told you about but decided to do a few more searches. I found a couple of websites that have more 1/2's listed. There is one every weekend in October and a couple more in November. Some may be closer to your house. Some might have a more favorable start time. (The one in Newton starts at 7:30. For me that means I probably need to get up at 4:00 to get there in time to pick up my packet and stuff). The BAA has one the week after the ToT in Boston.

There is a race in Lowell that is actually considered the 4th fastest marathon in the country and as a result many people run it to qualify for the Boston Marathon. It is supposedly very flat. So, if you want a good time to use for POT on a future runDisney race it might be the way to go.

The two sites I tried so far are:

halfmarathons.net

halfmarathonsearch.com

:thumbsup2

Just thought I'd pass on some more info I learned last night in case you still want to do the 1/2. I was about to register for the one I told you about but decided to do a few more searches. I found a couple of websites that have more 1/2's listed. There is one every weekend in October and a couple more in November. Some may be closer to your house. Some might have a more favorable start time. (The one in Newton starts at 7:30. For me that means I probably need to get up at 4:00 to get there in time to pick up my packet and stuff). The BAA has one the week after the ToT in Boston. There is a race in Lowell that is actually considered the 4th fastest marathon in the country and as a result many people run it to qualify for the Boston Marathon. It is supposedly very flat. So, if you want a good time to use for POT on a future runDisney race it might be the way to go. The two sites I tried so far are: halfmarathons.net halfmarathonsearch.com :thumbsup2

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll have to do my research!

I am excited. I just got my confirmation email from runDisney that they accepted my proof of time. I thought it needed to be verifiable on-line and my race does not do that. So I was concerned they wouldn't take it. They estimate my time for the race to be 1:32. Based on last year's corral assignments that would put me in corral C. I was right on the line of B and C.

OK, I need opinions from the more experienced runners. After looking more at some of the races I can sign up for in the fall I am more and more tempted to sign up for a marathon instead of a a 1/2. Am I crazy for trying this only 10 months after I started running? I always wanted my first marathon to be a Disney marathon but maybe it is better to do it near home and at only a cost of $75 as opposed to doing it at Disney and a much more expensive price tag? Maybe getting one under my belt will allow me to enjoy the Disney one more when I do finally do it?

OK, I need opinions from the more experienced runners. After looking more at some of the races I can sign up for in the fall I am more and more tempted to sign up for a marathon instead of a a 1/2. Am I crazy for trying this only 10 months after I started running? I always wanted my first marathon to be a Disney marathon but maybe it is better to do it near home and at only a cost of $75 as opposed to doing it at Disney and a much more expensive price tag? Maybe getting one under my belt will allow me to enjoy the Disney one more when I do finally do it?

The million dollar question. Some will say you have to train for a very very long time to be prepared for a marathon and others say not that long. I've always had an easy time with running (sometimes my wife hates me for it!) but I've never really put in the time or training for races. I ran my first full while doing the Dopey this year. As far as training, I only put in one 13 mile run, one 10 mile run and the rest were basically 5 and 6 mile training runs. And most on a treadmill. And the days were spread out and not over a long time.

In my opinion, if you're consistent with your training, get in some long runs to ready your legs for the pounding of 26.2 miles, then I think you'll be just fine. I think getting the legs used to that distance or at least longer distances will be the key. I think time and speed will come. Plus, I think you did exceptional for your first race, so that's a consideration as well. I've run a ton of halfs, 5Ks, etc. 21 on the schedule for this year. It's about listening to your body.

A Disney marathon is still a marathon but I'd have to say it's a best case scenario. You're running with tons of other 'fun' people, you're entertained, there's character stops along the way and you can't get the fact that you're running in WDW out of your head so it's great. A race outside of Disney will be a little different. I'm actually signed up for a ton of halfs but am not running my 2nd full until next Spring. I want to see what kind of time I can really put up for 26.2 minus the stops, etc.

Me... I say go for it.

My wife and I ran in the WDW this year. Luckily we were staying at a host resort. But the buses didn't start running until like a half hour before the Expo and we wanted to get there early to be in line for the shoes. A friend who is a Disney veteran told me to catch a bus to a park, then hop on over to this resort that had early buses to WWOS (Expo). But after asking the front desk clerk, they said it would be much much easier just to hop a taxi. We walked outside our resort, one pulled up and we were there. The price wasn't bad at all and save time and trouble. So I'd say taxis may be an option as well.

Hi everyone, this is my second race ever (I did the jingle jungle 5k last year) and so my first real distance race as well. I live in Cleveland so I just started training really in May when the weather warmed up (it is still 60 degrees today :rolleyes2 and it's June!). So I still have a long way to go! All this POT talk is really making me nervous because there are very few 10k's around here and the only one late enough this month that I could maybe be ready for is a hill run. Plus, I just kind of think my first distance race being the TOT would make it that more special! So hopefully I am not shooting myself in the foot with that. I am running solo so at least it will be easier to dodge between people than it would be if I was running with someone :rotfl2: A good friend who is a runner gave me my motivation, basically she said I can make myself run as fast as I can so I can get to the finish line and enjoy the rides and party since I will be starting so late! So hey, I've had worse motivation.

On that note, anyone have any idea what time the last corral will actually get to the start line?

On that note, anyone have any idea what time the last corral will actually get to the start line?

The last corral started at 10:27 last year. If you go to runningatdisney.com and find the 2013 Tower of Terror there are pics for the corral groupings and a pic of the final race instructions, which gives the start times for the corrals. My computer is toast so I can barely get on this site, nevermind post a link or a picture.

The million dollar question. Some will say you have to train for a very very long time to be prepared for a marathon and others say not that long. I've always had an easy time with running (sometimes my wife hates me for it!) but I've never really put in the time or training for races. I ran my first full while doing the Dopey this year. As far as training, I only put in one 13 mile run, one 10 mile run and the rest were basically 5 and 6 mile training runs. And most on a treadmill. And the days were spread out and not over a long time.

In my opinion, if you're consistent with your training, get in some long runs to ready your legs for the pounding of 26.2 miles, then I think you'll be just fine. I think getting the legs used to that distance or at least longer distances will be the key. I think time and speed will come. Plus, I think you did exceptional for your first race, so that's a consideration as well. I've run a ton of halfs, 5Ks, etc. 21 on the schedule for this year. It's about listening to your body.

A Disney marathon is still a marathon but I'd have to say it's a best case scenario. You're running with tons of other 'fun' people, you're entertained, there's character stops along the way and you can't get the fact that you're running in WDW out of your head so it's great. A race outside of Disney will be a little different. I'm actually signed up for a ton of halfs but am not running my 2nd full until next Spring. I want to see what kind of time I can really put up for 26.2 minus the stops, etc.

Me... I say go for it.

I'd be nervous running a marathon if your longest training run was 13. I have come to learn though that running is more mental than anything, provided you don't have some major injury, obviously. So I guess if you felt you could do it with your longest run being 13 miles that is 1/2 the battle.

I would love to hear more about the Dopey. I think I may try to do that in the next few years, once I have money that is. Seems pretty crazy but going home with all those medals must be pretty cool.

Here's the thing about the Disney marathon. I listen to the Mickey Miles podcast (thanks to RickFreeze turning me on to it). They basically say that running a Disney race for a PR or a good time is not the best choice. They are so crowded and you won't be able to stop for the characters and stuff so it is tough to get a good time at them.

I live in MA and even when I was at my heaviest and laziest I always wanted to run the Boston Marathon. This race I wanted to run counts as a qualifying race for it. I doubt I could get fast enough this year to qualify for 2015 but if I run it this year and get used to it, it will only help me next year. I just think having a medal from the Boston Marathon in any collection would be pretty awesome.

I am about 90% sure I will do the marathon over the 1/2 though. I looked at some training plans and even beginners can be ready in 18 weeks according to some of these plans. I am ahead of schedule according to the beginners plans.

Then maybe my first Disney marathon will be part of the Dopey Challenge. :thumbsup2

The last corral started at 10:27 last year. If you go to runningatdisney.com and find the 2013 Tower of Terror there are pics for the corral groupings and a pic of the final race instructions, which gives the start times for the corrals. My computer is toast so I can barely get on this site, nevermind post a link or a picture.

Perfect! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter