• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Towels

All accomodations come with the appropriate number of towels for it's max number of guests. I see no reason why people don't just wash their own towels. If you have a studio, then there are FREE washers and dryers available, use them. If not, what's the big deal with paying for a set of towels, we had relatives in studios who did this, and it worked out just fine for them.
We were members when the rule on paying for extra towels, soaps etc came into effect. We voted against it. The point is that when it comes to the towels some feel that you should have an unlimited supply but " Apparently DVC disagrees with you, also, and in this instance I can understand their position.";)

Personally I though DVC shouldn't have been quite as strict and should have given 2 extra towels/washcloths when requested. That's especially true when one is in the studio and the W/D is not that handy. Still it is the rule and I feel it should be followed. They do offer an alternative and it's a reasonable one.

I personally think it's different for one to appropriately use a pool towel and take it back to the room rather than grab a stack of pool towels with the express purpose of taking them back to the room to use.

Is it true that you can get 4 "sets" of towels for $6 as posted earlier or is it 4 bath towels for $6?

BTW, since the electric and water for the washer/dryers is included in our dues, I am not sure that washing and drying towels in our rooms each day is more cost effective than Disney doing the extra towels in large batches.

I knew that this would become an "issue" once DVC instituted the fees for extra towels a few years ago. Soon our dues will go up to pay for the "towel police" at each pool. ;)

Originally posted by Paul in CT
Is it true that you can get 4 "sets" of towels for $6 as posted earlier or is it 4 bath towels for $6?

BTW, since the electric and water for the washer/dryers is included in our dues, I am not sure that washing and drying towels in our rooms each day is more cost effective than Disney doing the extra towels in large batches.

I knew that this would become an "issue" once DVC instituted the fees for extra towels a few years ago. Soon our dues will go up to pay for the "towel police" at each pool. ;)
It's a towel pack consisting of 4 bath towels, 4 bath clothes and 2 hand towels for $6.

I agree with Paul in CT and Tagrel - I have always thought "we" as owners were spending WAY more money in water and electricity with all those washers and dryers going in each unit washing just 4 towels and 4 washclothes each day, than what it would cost for Disney to launder all the towels together.

And I would prefer to not have the trash and towel day and just get all my towels at once. Say I'm staying 6 nights in a 1 BR. I'll get 4 towels and 4 washcloths (along with bathmat and hand towels, of course) at check in. Then they'll replace them on day 4, which is trash and towel day, at which time they'll also empty the trash.

I'd prefer to get all 8 of my towels and washcloths at check in, and I can take out my own trash, we do anyway. That way we've got plenty of towels and might only wash towels once (but a full load, not just 4 towels) during our trip, not every night. And we wouldn't need "housekeeping" to come at all during our stay.
Seems like that would save some money, too.

Originally posted by AnnK
The point is that when it comes to the towels some feel that you should have an unlimited supply but " Apparently DVC disagrees with you, also, and in this instance I can understand their position.";)

In the first place, I have not said that I should have an unlimited supply. I said it seems more economical for all to make more towels available than to pay for someone to wash three towels. Second, others have indicated that employees of DVC have indicated they may use pool towels, so it does not appear clear what DVC's position is. So how is it apparent that DVC disagrees with me?

Originally posted by ReneeQ
And I would prefer to not have the trash and towel day and just get all my towels at once. Say I'm staying 6 nights in a 1 BR. I'll get 4 towels and 4 washcloths (along with bathmat and hand towels, of course) at check in. Then they'll replace them on day 4, which is trash and towel day, at which time they'll also empty the trash.

I'd prefer to get all 8 of my towels and washcloths at check in, and I can take out my own trash, we do anyway. That way we've got plenty of towels and might only wash towels once (but a full load, not just 4 towels) during our trip, not every night. And we wouldn't need "housekeeping" to come at all during our stay.
Seems like that would save some money, too.

I think that this would be a much better way to handle this!

I agree! I have yet to be able to get them to move trash & tidy...and since I've only stayed 4 nights having T&T on Tuesday doesn't make much sense.

The more I think about it, the more irrational T&T is. In theory they don't clean anything so why not just give you all your supplies up front?

When they voted on charging more for extra towels and the other extras, we thought it was pretty weak. We voted to charge the extra to our dues. We lost, so the rules change. A few years back on these boards we read how SOME would take, steal, or whatever you want to call it, the extras home with them for presents. They said they deserved it, again weak.
I feel sure you should get a couple extra towels or soaps, but how much is too much? We have the rules, we can't change them on these boards, so live with them. If you want more towels, either pay for them, get larger rooms with more towels, or use the pool towels. I never thought a towel would mean anything to me, but I now know the difference between a pool towel and a bath towel. I know if I found myself using a pool towel after the shower, maybe I should have stayed at the All-Star.

Sharper, you don't want to pay for lifeguards or slides or whatever you don't like to raise your dues, fine, your opinion. They came up with this towel rule because they felt some were taking advantage of the extra towels etc..., We didn't care if they decided to raise our dues for this, we felt it was well worth it. The dues savers won out in the end but it didn't bother us too much. Since our vote lost, I don't feel like paying the extra dues for you staying in a studio to get more towels. That's Just my opinion though.

We never really needed the extra towels etc.. because we stay in a GV or 2 BR most of the time and use the Washer and dryer. DVC chose to change the rule, keep the dues the same, and offer those who needed the extra towels the options of paying for it, washing your towels downstairs for free, or stay in a room that has more towels with a washer and dryer and problem solved. What's the problem? You have options!

Quote:

"In the first place, I have not said that I should have an unlimited supply. I said it seems more economical for all to make more towels available "

Sounds like unlimited to me

Quote continued
"than to pay for someone to wash three towels."

It's not just washing the towels, they need to be sorted, folded and delivered to housekeeping, all these costs add up. On the other hand you can take your three towels down to the pool area, throw them in a washer, wait til their done, throw them in the dryer, fold them and cart them back to your room, or DVC provides the option of paying a mere 6.00 for a set of four, your choice.

"Second, others have indicated that employees of DVC have indicated they may use pool towels, so it does not appear clear what DVC's position is. So how is it apparent that DVC disagrees with me?"

DVC's official position is that you pay for any extra soap, towels etc, so IT IS APPARENT that DVC disagrees with you. What you choose to do is your choice.:rolleyes:

I actually don't believe that this thread about towels has gone on for 4 pages and 50 posts. This has reached the level of being absurd.

Hey, has anybody noticed if any members have had any vegetation hacked down outside their balcony lately ?

Not trying to change the subject or anything.

Originally posted by doubletrouble_vb
I agree! I have yet to be able to get them to move trash & tidy...and since I've only stayed 4 nights having T&T on Tuesday doesn't make much sense.

The more I think about it, the more irrational T&T is. In theory they don't clean anything so why not just give you all your supplies up front?

When I was at BWV in early December, I moved my T&T day. We checked in on Saturday, I washed towels on Monday afternoon, so I called on Tuesday morning first thing to move our T & T to Wednesday. They came on Wednesday and we checked out Friday so I didn't need to wash towels again.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
I actually don't believe that this thread about towels has gone on for 4 pages and 50 posts. This has reached the level of being absurd.

Agreed! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

But, IMHO, it still has a ways to go before it reaches the levels previously attained by the refillable mug, the room occupancy, the pool hopping and some of the "my resort is the best" threads. A bit embarassed to admit I participated in some of those!:o :o :o

I personally don't think that a few extra towels would be a problem but DVC decided not to go that way. As I stated on another thread, when a front line DVC employee tells a member something that they know is not within the rules, it should not be taken as a license. We usually know the rules better than this level of member and feel we should act accordingly.

Yes, but the pool towels are softer and more plentiful. We once jumped out of our 3rd floor balcony onto several hundred we had scampered away with. Since they had saved our lives we felt responsible for them so we took them home.

This towel obsession that some people have is not healthy. Your are on vacation, worry about something else. And no matter how we try, we can't stop people from taking extra towels from the pool or other things they feel they deserve because they "own the place." We will all end up paying in one way or another in the end.

As a future 'renter' I plan on not even bathing in our studio (we'll have WAY too many people in there to try and maneuver around each other) and bathing in the pool instead. So...will the towel I use at the pool be considered a pool towel?? Or, since I'm technically bathing and not swimming, can I take them back to my room? What if all 8 of us (umm...I mean 4plusonechildunder3)promise to share whatever pool towels we STEAL and use in the room? Then is it ok? (I'm sure we'll need a few extra towels to sop up all the beer we'll be spilling on the carpets!)

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :p

If DVC put more towels in the members' rooms, they would require a greater inventory to be able to replace the towels when the member vacated the unit. By doubling the towels in the units (giving you all your towels up front instead of waiting until T&T day), they would require double the amount of towels to be able to replace all of them in the same number. This could be a big cost.

I have to travel for business every so often and have noted that every hotel I stay in has as many (or fewer) towels as the number of bed spaces. When I'm out of town by myself, I have three towels for the night. I usually wind up hanging them up to reuse the next night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter