Touring resorts and fun things to do at resorts

**Clare**

Mouseketeer
Hi

I’m looking for some help please about touring resorts. We have 3 nights at Pop in October where we won’t have park tickets so I’m looking to fill our days at the pool, DS and visiting other resorts. We have 2 kids, 12 and 10 so information about resort activities would be welcome too please.

We usually stay at POR and only know this resort. I know we can’t pool hop so I’m looking for help in planning an itinerary for these days please e.g I’m guessing it’s best to visit resorts by area as we won’t have our own transport.

Thanks in advance.

AKL/V is a great resort to visit. There are many animals to view, cultural representatives to talk to, and culinary tours of Boma and Jiko to take. I believe there are also some crafts and maybe cookie decorating to participate in.

Take the boat to Disney Springs and catch a bus to somewhere like AKL to see the animals.

Well, used to be easier before stricter security. I think if you do the monorail loop, you have to go through a security check each time you get on the monorail, so not as convenient as it was before to just hop on and off between CR, Poly, and GF. However, you could walk from the TTC parking lot to the Poly and then to the GF, then take the monorail and get off at the CR and then take the boat to WL and/or FW. With the kids, I might skip the Poly and GF in favor of just the CR and boat to WL and FW. Also, with the kids, it might be good to take a visit to AKL and spend some time viewing the animals. One thing that you'll have to look into now though is parking if you plan to drive to these resorts. Not sure if you have to pay to park just visiting of if you just pay at your resort and get some kind of pass when visiting others. Of course, if you take buses, then you don't have to worry. If you're taking the bus, then a good afternoon/evening schedule might be take the bus from POP to AK and then switch to resort AKL bus, visit the animals, then take bus to DS and spend evening before heading back to POP. Have fun planning!

Most resorts have a variety of activities for kids and adults. Below are just a few. Times and days vary.

Make your own Tie-Dyed T-Shirt at several resorts.
Face Painting at AKL
Drawing class with Disney artist at AoA and Saratoga Springs
Campfire and Smores at several resorts
Family outdoor movies at several resorts
Make your own ice cream sundae at Old Key West
Make your own wine glass, ceramics or pillow at Yacht Club

Last edited:
Splitsville Bowling at DS. I was very surprised at how good the food was too. ...Or a movie at DS - also fun. But at the resorts, Wilderness Lodge has a great (free) tour, ride the Monorail loop (Contemp, GF and Poly) and get off for a drink, snack or just to enjoy each resort. Drawing with a Disney Artist at AoA. Catch and Release fishing at POR

The Boardwalk has night time entertainment and you can get a great view of Illuminations from the bridge between the Breach Club and Boardwalk. You can catch a campfire and movie at one of these resorts, too, although the BC doesn't have a campfire every night.

Definitely agree with AKL which is beautiful plus the animal viewing, and could plan brft or dinner at Boma of of you like, or as mentioned do thr free tout to sample food from Jiko and Boma. Good kids activities too if you are allowed to participate staying elsewhere - hopefully someone can clarify! Also, Chip & Dale Campfire Sing-along, making smores(small fee) and movie over at Ft Wilderness - can take the boat ride from MK, and could also stop and see Wilderness Lodge, which is also gorgeous. You can also walk over the bridge at Pop, and do the Animation class at AoA, and check out the theming, which is really well done, especially the Cars Section. And of course the monorail resorts, not as easy as previously as PP discussed with security but could plan a meal at one - people have talked about the brft buffet at the Wave at the Contemporary being very good, so could start there and end at GF with ferry back .

Not sure if you have girls or boys but our kids love The Grand Floridian Princess Promenade around 3:30pm.
The WL geyser erupts hourly - it is near the boat - so you can go by boat.

Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt at AKL Jambo, Kidani, or Wilderness Lodge. I am sucker for Scavenger Hunts so maybe it might not appeal to you but I think it is a great way to explore a resort. They hand out sheets at the front desk if you ask.

you have to go through a security check each time you get on the monorail

We did this in February and the only time we had to go through security was when we got off the bus at MK and wanted to walk over to the monorail station. They moved bag check/security up so we had to pass through there to get over to the monorail station. But once on board the monorail, we were able to hop on and hop off at the resorts as normal.

OP - as mentioned, AKL and the monorail resorts are great options for things to see and places to check out. Also, the Epcot area resorts such as Boardwalk, BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin as well. There is a mini golf course nearby as well if you're looking for other non-park things to do. Lastly, Saratoga Springs is walking distance to Disney Springs and OKW is a quick boat ride away for more options.

Animal Kingdom Lodge: Free animal viewing, cultural events
Boardwalk Lake Area: Walk around, ice cream/pizza, arcade, nighttime events, beaches to sit and play on at YC/BC
Disney Springs: bowling/movies, good food
Monorail Loop: something cool at each hotel

I'm sure the kids would want to do pool time each day they're not in the park, so each of your 3 non park days, do some pool time, then leisurely pick and execute on one of the above items each day. Everyone will love it.

Hi

I’m looking for some help please about touring resorts. We have 3 nights at Pop in October where we won’t have park tickets so I’m looking to fill our days at the pool, DS and visiting other resorts. We have 2 kids, 12 and 10 so information about resort activities would be welcome too please.

We usually stay at POR and only know this resort. I know we can’t pool hop so I’m looking for help in planning an itinerary for these days please e.g I’m guessing it’s best to visit resorts by area as we won’t have our own transport.

Thanks in advance.

Since you are at Pop I recommend walking over to Art of Animation Resort which is across the bridge from Pop. You can walk around the outside of buildings and check out the features of each one and take photos. You can also have meal there - similar set up to Pop but different food.

Animal Kingdom Lodge: Free animal viewing, cultural events
Boardwalk Lake Area: Walk around, ice cream/pizza, arcade, nighttime events, beaches to sit and play on at YC/BC
Disney Springs: bowling/movies, good food
Monorail Loop: something cool at each hotel

I'm sure the kids would want to do pool time each day they're not in the park, so each of your 3 non park days, do some pool time, then leisurely pick and execute on one of the above items each day. Everyone will love it.
I'm pretty sure the YC/BC Beach area is for guests at that resort only.

It's not (at least while I was there in Feb). It's wide open and anyone can go sit on the sand. Since the gator incident at GF a couple years ago though, there is a barrier to the water at the edge of the sand.

I'm sure if there's a special event, Disney would check guest status before letting people in.

Since you are at Pop I recommend walking over to Art of Animation Resort which is across the bridge from Pop. You can walk around the outside of buildings and check out the features of each one and take photos. You can also have meal there - similar set up to Pop but different food.
It's not (at least while I was there in Feb). It's wide open and anyone can go sit on the sand. Since the gator incident at GF a couple years ago though, there is a barrier to the water at the edge of the sand.

I'm sure if there's a special event, Disney would check guest status before letting people in.
Thanks, we we're there in March, but it was too cold to go anywhere near the beach...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter