tough to be a bug with a 4 y.o.

My two younger kids (7 and 3) freaked out so bad during Honey I Shrunk the Audience that I didn't even attempt to take the to the Bug one. I did take my oldest to see it, she was 8 and loved the one at Epcot, and I really regretted it. There are some really cool effects but even I felt a little creeped out by it. They are not pleasant effects. My daughter at one point screamed "get me out of here!" There were a lot of kids crying in the theater. I would never take a four year old to see this one. Try Mickey's Philharmagic, or the Muppet one at MGM, instead. There is nothing scary about either one of those.

The last time we went to this attraction a woman with a 6 year old child had to sit her on her lap because she was terrified. All I could hear was her screaming throughout the show. It was too distracting to enjoy the show since they were sitting directly behind us. :confused:

My two boys ages 6 and 2 last year went to that attraction with our nanny at that time and the two year old was scared. I just waited for them. I don't do amusement park rides or things like that.

We made the mistake of making this the first thing we did at Animal Kingdom. My 6 yr old son and my 3 yr old daughter both left screaming and crying. There are lots of scary parts. The huge spiders that drop from the ceiling, the "bugs" that crawl through your seats, and the stink bug that makes the whole place smoky. After it was over, we had to leave because the kids were so scared they were afraid to try anything else.

cody's mom said:
For parents with young kids, did they like It's tough to be a bug? I've read that it's really intense, but I'm not sure what people mean by 'intense'. Is it scary or just loud. DS is 4, and I'm afraid that once he's spooked, he'll be done for the day.

My boys are now 12 and 13. I still remember when they were 4 and 5 and we sat in our seats and the show began. I thought my guys were okay with it and all of a sudden both started screaming and crying. A CM was kind enough to have the exit door already open when we got there. They still haven't gone back (and I think there are pictures of them in the lobby). :lmao: :rotfl2:

Seriously, some kids handle it fine and some don't. You really can't tell unless you try. Good luck! :thumbsup2

Same thing here, kids HATED IT! My DS4 was crying early on and so was my very brave DD6. The show is so loud, that I didn't even hear my DD6 crying, until I happen to glance at her and saw her! Poor kids! I felt terrible. My advice, skip it, it's as bad as they say. I couldn't even tell you what it was about though, I was too busy trying to comfort my kids!

Another no vote here! My DS (4 at the time) was petrified and had to leave the theater. He was scared to go to any other shows. He is 5 1/2 now and still talks about that "scary bug show."

Another 'no' here :sad2:

Then again DD (7) isn't too keen on anything in the dark - and, yes, she freaked out in Stitch last year :eek:

We somehow managed to keep her going through 'Honey I shrunk the Audience' but it was a tough one! :flower3:
Actually, thinking about it, it was only because we said she was ok to leave her 3D glasses off....................................... :laughing:

Give her a massive roller coaster, on the other hand................... :rotfl:

My nephew was 3 1/2 when we went to WDW in 2004. He didn't care for ITTBAB-- I think the sound/smell effects scared him a little. But then again, he loved Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Star Tours! Muppet Vision didn't seem to bother him either.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just stick to Philharmagic and muppets. After reading all the responses, I really think he would freak. :scared1:

The point has been well made but, we had the same experience at DL. My DH saw the show at WDW 2 years earlier and said it would be "fine" for our girls (5 & 7). It was a diaster!!! Our dd 7 was terrified (hates dark and loud)!! I was so mad at DH, "what were you thinking!"... for the rest of day. Not a magical momemt for us.

Again it depends on your child and also on how you prepare them. My son went when he was 2. Had to sit on my lap mainly to see but it also limited how much he felt from the effects. We also made a point of talking about how great the effects were and how the were all Made by Disney and not real bugs. He does not like loud noises so his remedy is to cover his ears-he still does this at 7 with loud noises. When we went back to Disney when he was 5 He said he wanted to sit in his own seat so he could feel everything and then was dissapointed because he hardly felt the "sting" Possibly if you are light and don't put much weight on the back of the seat you don't feel it as much?
I think you have to talk to your child and believe them-a lot of parents don't do this- if they don't like real bugs why would they like 6 foot bugs! If they are afraid, do child swap if you or an only child wants to go on. After all they should be having fun not terrified I mean does anyone force you to go on something you are terrified of. And yes I know some kids need convinced and that is different than dragging a shaking, crying child on something or a child who is cryinging before it even starts. Ask your child and go from there.

This a comment for your DS! My DS (5) saw your son's photo. He said that it is a cool costume and picture :teeth:

I haven't read page 2, so my point may already be made. We did AK on the 3rd day, so our children (including a four year old boy) were used to the shows and knew that the stuff coming out was not real. They loved it. However, had it been the first 3D show we saw.... it may have been very different!

I love the cave at the show with all the movie posters, don't miss those if you go.

It scared my 5 year old to death
I had to take the 3d glasses off him
He flipped at every 3d thing after that
This time, I MIGHt tak my now 4 year old on it (he is brave)
but NOT my 2 year old
(my 5 yr old is now 12)

We took DD4 and DD2 last year and about 60% of the kids in the place FREAKED!! Mine included. The whole show they were dropping like flies (no pun intended) and parents were bringing them outside. When we got out these kids were hysterical and inconsolable. I say skip it, skip it, skip it. There are so many other attractions you can do. If you do decide to do it, wait until the last day because afterwards DD4 would would cry anytime we would go indoors for an attraction even though we promised her it was nothing like ITTBAB. She didn't see Jouney to little mermaid, Mickey's Philharmagic, the muppets show all of which I know she would have loved!! DH and I had to take turns waiting outside while we took DD2 in. When we got home, the next time we went to the movies to see the whatever animated movie, they sat on the floor with their eyes closed and hands over their ears until I just took them home. They are better now but I have already started "preparing" them for our Arpil trip which will not include ITTBAB!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter