Tough picking somewhere else to vacation once you go to WDW!

2Pirates2Princesses

DIS Veteran
Because once you take your kids to WDW, it is hard to plan another trip that will measure up to it! My kids are still talking about our WDW trip! We just got the go ahead at work to submit our vacation time dates for 2012 which means we should start planning for our family vacation for next year. I would love to go back to WDW, but at this point another trip is not in the cards for us for next year :sad1:. Once you go to WDW, it is hard to get as excited about going on vacation anywhere else :headache: Yes, I know there are a lot of other great vacation destinations and there is a whole wide world out there to see, but I just want to go back to Disney :headache: Now I see why some people I know waited and did a one time once in a lifetime trip or waited until their kids were a lot older to take them to WDW because a Disney World vacation sets the bar so high for other vacations! :laughing:

Funny...my kids are the opposite. They keep asking if we can go somewhere else. The 'newness' has worn off.

We still love our WDW trips, but we are learning that we have to shake things up to keep it interesting too. So, we either add a Disney cruise to the WDW trip or we skip WDW and go on an Adventures by Disney trip instead. Honestly, I don't know that we'll ever take a vacation again that doesn't have Disney involved somehow just b/c the customer service is so great.

We still love our WDW trips, but we are learning that we have to shake things up to keep it interesting too. So, we either add a Disney cruise to the WDW trip or we skip WDW and go on an Adventures by Disney trip instead. Honestly, I don't know that we'll ever take a vacation again that doesn't have Disney involved somehow just b/c the customer service is so great.

I totally agree!!! I took my DD and her BFF to Universal in May to celebrate thier 16th's and it just didn't compare!!!:lmao: We had fun, but there just wasn't any "magical moments" for me. I guess if I would have insisted on dragging them, kicking and screaming, to WDW I would have had some not-so-magical moments there that would have made me dread going back.

DD16 swears she hates Disney, but when given the option to go with us over Thanksgiving or stay home with her dad (DexH) she chose to go. She also chose to have me book her on our 2013 cruise, even though we are not quite sure she'll be making that trip depending on schooling situation.:confused3

I agree. Disney sets the bar so high! Since our trip it has been a challenge to find other vacation options that will measure up! We don't plan to go back to WDW until 2013 at the earliest, so I think for next year we will just stick to vacation options that don't involve theme/amusement parks because it will be too hard not to compare them to Disney since the memories of our recent trip may still be fresh in our minds at that point.

I understand what you mean. Even going back to WDW is tough, because there is a lot of stress of making the next trip just as "perfect" as the first one was! We have gone all-out (staying value, but doing lots of "extras") for our fist couple trips. I'm trying to plan a more budget-friendly trip, so we can go back in the spring, but it's so hard to give up BBB, character meals, Wonderland tea party, tons of souvenirs, etc. once DDs have learned to expect them.

Because once you take your kids to WDW, it is hard to plan another trip that will measure up to it! My kids are still talking about our WDW trip! We just got the go ahead at work to submit our vacation time dates for 2012 which means we should start planning for our family vacation for next year. I would love to go back to WDW, but at this point another trip is not in the cards for us for next year :sad1:. Once you go to WDW, it is hard to get as excited about going on vacation anywhere else :headache: Yes, I know there are a lot of other great vacation destinations and there is a whole wide world out there to see, but I just want to go back to Disney :headache: Now I see why some people I know waited and did a one time once in a lifetime trip or waited until their kids were a lot older to take them to WDW because a Disney World vacation sets the bar so high for other vacations! :laughing:

I'm not sure I believe that to be true. I think it depends on your imagination and family. I know that if I could take a family trip to Paris this Spring it would be more exciting that going to Disney this Spring. I think you're underestimating the fun that is traveling.
yes we all want to go back. i want to go back because there are still some many things I have yet to do and see at Disney but in know way does Disney out shine all travel locations. I think people who save for the once in a lifetime trip are actually missing out. Every trip to Disney is a once in a lifetime trip if you plan it correctly. There is no perfect trip because they are all perfect! Crowded, bad weather late flights. It doesn't matter.

Why is it not in the cards this year? If it's husband wants to do something else, he gets out-voted by you and the kids. If it's money, there are ways to do it more economically. Will it be cheap? No, of course not. But if you plan wisely and are flexible, you can do it for not that much more than a "typical" beach trip or something similar...

Why is it not in the cards this year? If it's husband wants to do something else, he gets out-voted by you and the kids. If it's money, there are ways to do it more economically. Will it be cheap? No, of course not. But if you plan wisely and are flexible, you can do it for not that much more than a "typical" beach trip or something similar...

I agree, we will have to see.

I'm not sure I believe that to be true. I think it depends on your imagination and family. I know that if I could take a family trip to Paris this Spring it would be more exciting that going to Disney this Spring. I think you're underestimating the fun that is traveling.
yes we all want to go back. i want to go back because there are still some many things I have yet to do and see at Disney but in know way does Disney out shine all travel locations. I think people who save for the once in a lifetime trip are actually missing out. Every trip to Disney is a once in a lifetime trip if you plan it correctly. There is no perfect trip because they are all perfect! Crowded, bad weather late flights. It doesn't matter.

I understand your point, but a trip overseas to Paris would certainly be a dream trip that wouldn't be on our "what should we do for our next family vacation" list like other domestic family vacation options such as the beach, the lake, a national park, or another theme park. If a destination like Paris, France was an option for us then I am sure I would be bubbling with excitement and enthusiasm :rolleyes:; but the vacation options I was thinking about when I submitted my original post were typical family vacation options that would be within our means financially and logistically now (e.g, the beach, the lake, camping, another theme park trip, etc.) which at this point don't seem as exciting after coming back from a Disney World trip, but again I am speaking for myself :)

I guess it is different for everyone, My DD 12 has been four times in 3 years and she loves it still, gets mad when we do not go to Disney.....She loves collecting new pins between our trips....My DD 18 has not been yet but I am going to try and get her to go this winter with us.....I LOVE DISNEY.......:thumbsup2

My DD has only been to WDW twice and both trips were great, but she could care less about going back to Disney. She prefers our island vacations. This will probably be the first and last time all 4 of us go to Disney together.

I understand your point, but a trip overseas to Paris would certainly be a dream trip that wouldn't be on our "what should we do for our next family vacation" list like other domestic family vacation options such as the beach, the lake, a national park, or another theme park. If a destination like Paris, France was an option for us then I am sure I would be bubbling with excitement and enthusiasm :rolleyes:; but the vacation options I was thinking about when I submitted my original post were typical family vacation options that would be within our means financially and logistically now (e.g, the beach, the lake, camping, another theme park trip, etc.) which at this point don't seem as exciting after coming back from a Disney World trip, but again I am speaking for myself :)

Why the eye roll. You could go to France!

Once again goes toward your imagination and what YOU want to be "typical" for your family. I know families that go to Playa de Carmen for family vacation. I find that alot of people think family vacation has to be something specific. Anything/anywhere can be a family vacation as long as you plan it right. France is on our list of family vacations.

I have never seen the beach as a "vacation" though but that is because we can go to the beach every weekend in the summer.

Why the eye roll. You could go to France!

Once again goes toward your imagination and what YOU want to be "typical" for your family. I know families that go to Playa de Carmen for family vacation. I find that alot of people think family vacation has to be something specific. Anything/anywhere can be a family vacation as long as you plan it right. France is on our list of family vacations.

I have never seen the beach as a "vacation" though but that is because we can go to the beach every weekend in the summer.

Well, for our family, France or any trip overseas isn't on our list of family vacation options anytime soon. As I said in my previous post, vacation options for OUR family that our within OUR means financially and logistically just don't seem as exciting after just coming back from WDW recently. Like I said before I am speaking for myself and my family, obviously not those that can vacation at Playa de Carmen. Thank you for your feedback ;)

Funny, Paris would cost us about as much as WDW! :laughing: Living on the west coast has made WDW a bit cost prohibitive up until now. We are saving for our upcoming trip which will cost us close to $6000! :scared1: We could go to Disneyland again, but I was outvoted by both the kids and hubby. :confused3

We went to Cancun one year because it was cheaper to fly to Mexico than Florida over spring break. :sad2: We actually loved Cancun and would love to go back (after seeing the rest of the world). We may go to Tokyo Disney in June 2013...figured it would cost about the same as this year's trip. :rotfl: I don't have much desire to go to Paris, again...but, I may if the kids show interest. So far, they would rather go to Hawaii, Japan, China or Australia.

Funny, Paris would cost us about as much as WDW! :laughing: Living on the west coast has made WDW a bit cost prohibitive up until now. We are saving for our upcoming trip which will cost us close to $6000! :scared1: We could go to Disneyland again, but I was outvoted by both the kids and hubby. :confused3

We went to Cancun one year because it was cheaper to fly to Mexico than Florida over spring break. :sad2: We actually loved Cancun and would love to go back (after seeing the rest of the world). We may go to Tokyo Disney in June 2013...figured it would cost about the same as this year's trip. :rotfl: I don't have much desire to go to Paris, again...but, I may if the kids show interest. So far, they would rather go to Hawaii, Japan, China or Australia.

Right, a lot of it depends on your family size and location. Being on the west coast, I can certainly see the pricing for a trip to Mexico being less than going to WDW in Florida coming from the west coast. For our family of six, flights from Pennsylvania to Florida aren't too bad since it is a short flight or we always have the option to drive which would make the trip even more affordable. For our family of six, the cost to go on a Disney World trip isn't in the same category as what it would cost us to go to Europe or Hawaii. Heck, at this point we are even priced out of doing a Disney cruise :laughing:

Yes, I guess family size does matter. Which I didn't really think of. I can imagine that it would be a strain financial if you have more than one or two kids traveling Disney, or anywhere for that matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter