Totally paranoid - ID bracelet or harness for 2 yr old?

We did nothing when we took DS at that age. Between the two of us and just one child it was pretty easy, he was never out of our sight. I think it gets harder when they are older and might wander off when you have multiple kids to keep an eye on.

But, I agree with doing whatever makes you comfortable.

I purchased some safety ID bracelets for our 2 yo (almost 3) when we went to Disneyland and a hand harness thing not the backpack one & I never even used them

I use harnesses because hand holding isnt enough. they can escape me and mostly just choose not to do. A stroller when they dont want isnt really safe with all the flailing and escaping and all the screaming rather defeats the purpose of a fun outing. I still hold their hands in crowds but the harness we use isnt long, maybe the length of my arm. If other methods work better for you, do use them but dont feel bad for using what you feel is best for your kids safety.

I'm sorry for your loss. We also use Safety Tats, the temporary tattoos that are customized with your phone number. We have also taught our kids to look for a CM or Mom with kids and show them the Safety Tat (which we place just under the sleeve) if they do get lost. I also keep my kids in the stroller if we need to navigate through large crowds.

For the record, we have never lost one of our kids at WDW. Just in case.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I know that you are both strong enough to do this. In your shoes, I'd be a quaking, anxious mess.

If your DS a fast runner? If so, consider a tether or harness, just so you have that extra measure of security. Consider the safety tats, but also get him an ID bracelet and you can even stitch little tags into his clothes if you want. Take a picture every morning with your cell phone when you go out, JUST IN CASE. I highly doubt anything will happen, but I know it will make you feel better to have that picture in case you need to show it to someone. Have one parent with him at all times (I know you know this but I'm just going to cover all ground). Try to teach him to always hold your hand or to the side of the stroller when walking, no matter how distracting other things are. If the place looks too crowded for your liking, one of you can pick him up and carry him for a while. It might even soothe you personally to hold him in an anxious situation.

You are justifiably anxious and stressed given your circumstances, but honestly Disney is incredibly safe. There are undercover cops (well, I say cops) just about everywhere just in case something like that happens. If you realize he's missing and can't find him in a short amount of time, start yelling his name and asking people if they've seen him. An employee will definitely come to your rescue, and if no one else approaches then run to the closest janitor or CM. This is when you can use the picture so they know exactly who they are looking for.

I've read some stories on people 'losing' their kids, and they never stay lost long. One person's story involved the child getting quite far before a plainsclothes found the child (it took about 10 minutes total). But the twist was that the child had been taught not to go with someone they didn't know or who didn't have the CM name tag, and of course this plainsclothes had neither! The kid had to be convinced (they were older and the plainsclothes ended up having to give a lot of information. Another CM might have even gotten involved) to go with them and find the frantic mother, but it all worked out in the end. That's the absolute WORST story I've heard that was not just rumor, so I honestly think that you will be OK. After a successful trip I'm sure you'll find the next ones more enjoyable.

Best of luck.
- G

Comparatively, Disney World is a pretty safe place, but there is always risk. As a parent, you never want to let your guard down, so go ahead with the extra precautions. Even getting lost for 1 minute is enough to add unwanted stress and sadness to your trip.

The harness is great as a backup measure. I had one for my 1/yo that was essentially a monkey backpack. The monkey tail could be tucked in and only pulled out when we wanted to use it - and he love wearing his furry friend. We still expected him to hold a hand or keep a hand on the stroller, but as any little one will do, something would catch his attention and he would dart for it. In a large moving crowd, I'd much rather be physically connected to him so he can't disappear without my knowledge. You could lose track of a little guy in about 1 second in the right circumstances. This is probably a bigger concern if you are travelling with multiple children.

Im so sorry I'm a bit paranoid in general and this was our first trip so we did both harness and bracelet. The harness was a monkey backpack with the tail being the "leash" .My DD (2at the time) was more interested in holding the tail of her monkey so we didn't use it that much.

We also did stroller or holding one of our hands at all times. That seemed to work well for us.

We got the safety/I'd bracelets from name bubbles, which is where I order our daycare labels. They are waterproof and one package lasted me 2 trips .

I tell all my friends, "If I ever lose track of my kid, I hope I do it at Disney!" Disney has lots of safety measures in place in order to reunite kids with their lost parents (children don't get lost at Disney, parents do). That being said, I might just sharpie on my cell number to DDs magic band.

As for leashes, my official policy is, "You do what's best for your kid and your family." That being said, I'm not a fan. I recall being at Disney once and seeing two parents (who were busy looking at a map or something) who had basically tied their daughter's leash to a doorknob. I thought that was kind of....I dunno...not their intended use? Also, I used to have a tag that begged people not to ski with their kids on a leash, which is something else I'd anectdotally seen. Really, please don't do that. I can't imagine anything much more dangerous for a young skier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter