• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Totally OT.....

disneegrl4eva

DIS Veteran
:offtopic: It is now a few minutes after 6am and I have been awake since 4:45...have to be at work by 7 and although this is no relation to any disney discussion, I have a close connection to these boards and some of the people on it so I thought I would just go ahead and post this on here...My 19yo daughter is on an airplane flying to Seattle by herself and knows absolutely no one there...she is in search of her "life"...she has wanted to live in Seattle {although never going there} for several years now and on the spur of the moment after one of our lovely heated discussions, she booked a airline ticket{non refundable of course} and is going to be there for a week...I am very nervous with her being in a place that we know no one and by herself...so I am asking everyone to please keep her in your thoughts and prayers that she will NOT find a job lol and she will return home to me safely....you guys are the best and I love spending my relaxation time with all of you and I love DIS boards...thanks again...

Good positive vibes being sent.
I know I don't have much room to talk since my kids haven't even reached preteen status. But I remember my tumultuous teen years & as difficult as it may be letting our kids find their self is a great gift a parent can give. Even if they're pissed when they leave to find it. ;) Plenty of mistakes mixed in sure, but they're THEIR mistakes to learn from. They can't blame us for THEIR mistakes, right? ;)
I project she will realize it's creepy when you don't know anyone in a strange place & once her anger dissipates she will be back home because it's familiar & safe. :goodvibes

SilverCeladon said:
I bet that must be scary. I hope she doesn't like it and come back home to you safely!
Hey, what's not to like about Seattle???

This morning was a bit wet and drizzly, but I see the sun is out now... Of course, she's coming at the time of year we have our best weather. :sunny:

Of course October is the beginning of the rainy season, which lasts about 10 months. I've lived here most of my life, and I find it a bit depressing, though I know people that love the 'moodiness and drama' of the weather. Too dark and gloomy for me, but sure does make me appreciate a beautiful day when it comes.

I can't imagine how scary this must be for you. The son of our daycare director went to SoCal a few years ago to take a stab at an acting career. I think he was 18 or 19 at the time, though apparently had a sister he would stay with. He was back within the year and looked a bit sheepish, but I told him, "Now is the best time in your life to try out new things! You're young, single, no kids, no debts. So what if it didn't work out? You went after a dream, you took a chance, and you won't be wondering 10 years from now, 'What if...?' " I thought he was so courageous!

If she finds a job she likes and a place to live and good friends, then good for her! If she doesn't, she knows she has a safe place to return to. I wish her (and you!) the best of luck. Seattle's not so bad, and not too far to visit frequently!

thanks everyone for all the support and kind words...she is there although we had some drama this am...she left her purse on the hotel shuttle...thank goodness they returned it to her...she took pics for me of her room and it is nice...the property was so nice and got her room cleaned and ready by 10:30am...flight was noneventful...just the way I like it...now I just have to pray she is safe throughout the week...Im trying not to worry to much and I do know Seattle is a beautiful place but thanks again

I will be thinking of her, and will keep her in my prayers. Hopefully after a break she'll realize where "home" is!

I am in a similar situation right now, although with myself! Next week I'm supposed to fly to Vegas, all by myself. I have NEVER been there, know no one there. And frankly don't like going places by myself. Shoot I haven't flown since I was 8, and am pretty scared of that too!

It's for a new job I'm taking, they want to train me there for 3 days, since that is where their main offices are located. Like a new job isn't enough to make a person nervous. My husband is going to be out of town for his job that week too, which is why I'll be alone.

Even though I'm 28, and should be able to handle such a thing on my own, I could certainly use the prayers too!!! :)

Welcome to Las Vegas!!! It really is OK here...we live on the SE side of the city and it is finally cooling down a little. It will be around mid 90s this weekend. Try to enjoy the city a little while you are here.
Safe travels!

I'll keep her in my prayers too but your post just makes me cringe at all the heartache and worry I must have put my mother through! I did something very similar when I was 21 and moved away from Oklahoma to the Washington D.C. area with no job, hardly any money the works searching for "my life". Luckily I found it but as a mom now I really have to wonder what the heck I was doing!!!

Kelli@40! said:
Welcome to Las Vegas!!! It really is OK here...we live on the SE side of the city and it is finally cooling down a little. It will be around mid 90s this weekend. Try to enjoy the city a little while you are here.
Safe travels!

Hi! I agree, it will be great this weekend. We are kinda southeast too in Green Valley. Where are you at?

JenDisneylandlver ~~ I know it's hard to go places alone, especially for a new job which you are already nervous for to begin with, I know I would be! I bet you'll have a good time here though, it's funny alot of people travel solo here. Don't know where you are now, but I hope if you do get it and move here, that it will be closer to DL for you. 3 hours and 45 minutes from my front door with no stops!!!

Andrea

Sorry to hear about your DD, I hope that she will find what she's looking for and you can both be at peace with it. I can feel for you as I dread the day my kids leave me and get out on there own. Prayers and thoughts are with you and your DD this week!

Andrea

My daughter and family moved to Tacoma a couple of years ago. It's a very beautiful part of the country and the people I met seem very friendly. However, Seattle and Tacoma are both big cities and I understand how nervous you must be. I hope she is OK and that it all turns out fine.

Thanks for the well wishes!! :)

I'm actually only going to be visiting for 3 days. I live in Reno, and the job I'm taking is in Reno. They just have main offices in Vegas that they want me to see and start my training at. I leave on the 6th, and fly home the night of the 8th. I'm hoping it will be a little cooler, that will certainly help!

She tells me I'll be staying on the West side, and not in a hotel on the strip. She says it's a very nice area. I'm hoping to get more info tomarrow so I can start mapquesting everything, as she says today I will have a rental car. I just have no clue where I'm going. LOL

I'm sure I'll like it there! Hopefully once I learn my way around a bit things will go nicely for me! Thanks again! It'll be nice thinking I have some fellow Dis members in the area while I'm there!

I have a sister that lives in Reno and she loves it there. It is a very busy place. Many many people there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter