TOTALLY OT...can I get a Microsoft Office prod. key w/out paying?

I'm going to download OpenOffice. I'll give it a try. I'm sorry I started some huge debate on piracy and I'm sorry that people think I was just trying to steal something...I wasn't. I'll leave my own opinions on piracy out of the discussion but thanks to those who just tried to help and answer my question.:hug:

Does open office have wp, spreadsheet like Excel, publisher, power point, etc.?

Yes.

Another option is Google Docs - its less full featured that Open Office or MS Office, but it runs in your browser and for most people's PERSONAL use, its pretty cool. It also has the added advantage of saving your files on the internet (you can save them locally as well) providing an embedded backup solution for you.

Both Open Office and Google Docs are free.

Software piracy is punishable by at $150k fine per piece of unlicensed software. Even if you don't realize what you are doing is piracy, the law won't care.

Open office is actually a better program, in addition to being free.

It also both saves and opens microsoft office formats and star office formats. You can also save files as a pdf, which can save you a LOT of money on getting adobe or the time to scan things in.

Another FREE option for saving ANYTHING as a PDF is to download a "print to PDF" type software.
I have something called Bullzip which I downloaded from CNET:
http://download.cnet.com/PDF-Printer/3000-2088_4-10536746.html?tag=mncol

It is super simple to use and you can do things like encrypt the file, watermark, merge with another PDF, etc. Saves me a TON of paper. My goal is an "almost paperless" office (though I still have a very LONG way to go, LOL).
When you download it, it will become one of your printer choices, just print the document to that instead of your regular printer and voila, you have a PDF.

Openoffice.org is a free program. Plus it is better than MS Office. I switch years to open office. I love this program.

Many PCs also come with Microsoft Works, which I discovered is very similar to Word. You can type up a document and then do "Save As" and choose ".doc" and it will save the file in a format that can be read by Word. I believe it has a version of Excel and Powerpoint as well. I can't remember, as I now have a laptop from school and they have Office installed on it.

Once I got a used copy of Microsoft Office from someone had replace theirs with a newer version. I guess that was technically stealing though...OOPS! I just thought I was recycling at the time.:guilty:

Marsha

i vote for open office if you are on a budget! it will open word documents and convert it for you if you send it to someone. don't give bill gates any more $$$!

I got the Student edition for $80 or so...split it w/ my sisters & we shared the cost. It allows 3 installations. Maybe one or 2 friends/family members need it also and you could split it. :goodvibes

If you have school age children, which it appears that you do, you can qualify for a ton of discounts on software programs. My favorite resource is http://www.academicsuperstore.com

Thank you for this link. :goodvibes:hug::thumbsup2
My son's school qualifies so I can get MS Office for only $59 after rebate. I prefer this to the free versions since this is what they are learning in school and I'd rather keep things simple for him; using at home same as what they use in school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter