Tortola Excursion Reviews

I can report back in early Sept. We are booked on NCL Getaway on August 29th of this year with a stop in Tortola. The new pier should be finished soon. Doubt the new shoreside development will be completed by the time we get there. Current plan is to hit Virgin Gorda and The Baths.

We're on the Fantasy Aug 13, 2016. I had wanted to book the dolphin encounter on Tortola for my daughter but am having second thoughts after reading these posts. However, I see they are mostly old posts. Does anyone have any recent experiences?

For those with the dolphin questions here is what we did:

we met in the Promade Lounge at 9:30ish (make sure you have your swimsuits on). You will check in, and get a wristband and a disney sticker to wear (this told them what dolphin excursion you were doing). You get your towels, then you will proceed down with a disney cm and a Dolphin Encounter person, down to deck 1 to get off. You will need your Key to World card, a picture ID and some money and a camera. You can brign beach bags, I did and it helped. You will board an open air truck and head off to Dolphin Discoery. Once there you will be let off in the entrance area and walk to where you need to go. There you will go to a tent and watch a brief dolphin video (about 10min) then you will be directed toward cubies to put your stuff. THen you go get in line for the life vests, then another line for water shoes. THen the wrist bands you were given earlier will have a letter on it and you will line up according to the letter on your wristband. You will then meet your photographer and videoagrapher. You will follow them to the trainer who is already in the lagoon.

There are stairs to walk down to the platform (there is a handle to hold on to). The platform is a little slippery but nothing to worry about. My mom had a total knee replacment on New Year's Eve and had no problem walking down the stairs or on the platform. You will meet hte trianer and your dolphin (mine was Calypso). You will all get to pet him, them you will get to have him kiss you, then you kiss him then do a little dance with him. Then you will swim out and have him come to you so you can ride in with him. Then our group did a splash game with him, danced with him and a few other things. My mom can not tread water that long because of her knee,so she stayed on the platform and the trainer had Calypso come to her and she was able to do more things with him so she won't feel left out.

After your time with the dolphin, you will be lead out and directed toward the cubbies, then told which room to go to based on your group. There you will watch the video, then proceed out to buy the video and look at the pictures. When you are done you head back out grab a shuttle and back to the ship.

We were back on the ship at 12:30. I bought the video ($35.00) and 3 pictures ($35.00). The video shows your entire group and each person doing everything.

I hope this helps. Anymore questions let me know.

In St. Thomas I only did the tram ride to Paradise Point and shopped in Havensight Mall (by the docks).

I have a question about the treading water. Isn't everyone wearing life vests or will my daughter need to know how to swim? I may need to cancel swim with a dolphin!

We returned a couple of weeks ago from our cruise on the Fantasy. I thought I would report back about our experience with Tortola. Our group consisted of 2 grandparents, my husband and I, and our 3 kids, ages 16, 12 and 8. We did the non-lunch Baths trip through Disney in the afternoon (the only option for us). In the morning, we got off the ship to experience Tortola shopping on our own. Our kids love the gift shops at the other ports where they can pick up a stuffed animal or a magnet or other little trinkets to remember the port. Tortola was a total disappointment! NOTHING was open besides Diamonds International and two elegant-looking clothing shops which didn't have any t-shirts or little trinkets. Bummer! My 12 year old was totally bummed! We did get some nice pics of the Fantasy in port, but besides that, there is nothing to do right outside the pier.
Now, on to the excursion. Our meeting time was around 1:15, I think, in the movie theater. They passed out towels to those who wanted them and then disembarked as a large group. We were then lead to a ferry which took us from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. It had seating upstairs out in the open and also an air-conditioned cabin inside which seated quite a few people as well. There were a few additional benches outside on the main level as well. The ferry ride was approximately 30 minutes long. We had pretty smooth seas, but it was still pretty rocky. A few of the kids near us were getting ill from the motion.
Once at Virgin Gorda, they separated us into open air taxis which seated approximately 20 people per vehicle. Our driver took us to two look-out points, which were not that great. I think they were trying to break up the crowd a bit, but it felt like wasted time. We met up with the rest of the group at the Baths, but then were late for the big group talk they did. They wanted us to hang around after the big group left to hear the rules, but we snuck away! We did hear that we were supposed to wait for the guide to take us through the caves and we were not supposed to go alone.
As a big group, everyone made their way along the path to the first beach. I would say that it took about 5-10 minutes to walk to the first beach. The path was uneven, but easy. They didn't give us any indication of how much time we would be there before we could go through the caves, so that was very awkward. The first beach was nice, but small unless you wandered away a bit, but then we were worried that we would miss the cave part. In our opinion, we were at the first beach entirely too long. Finally a guide came along the beach and rounded up the people that wanted to go through the caves to the other beach.
The cave-portion was surprising to us! There were very tight places and a lot of people trying to get through them. People coming on their own from the other direction had a difficult time getting through b/c of our group. It was a line of people going one by one through the tight spaces. At one point you had to hold onto a rope and pull yourself up a large rock (probably 12 feet tall), then walk along the rock and come back down through a tiny little hole. After the first little hole you had to crawl through, the grandparents in our group bailed out, which I think was best. It was more strenuous than I had anticipated. The cave part took quite awhile to get through since it was done as a large group. The payoff was great though. The second beach was incredible!!! We were sad that we couldn't have gotten to it sooner, as was another stranger that we ran into. We only ended up with about 25 minutes on the nice beach before we had to head up a different path to get back to the top.
The walk back to the top took about 20 minutes. It seemed to go on forever! I guess I was expecting just a short little hike, but when you're in a wet swimsuit and tired from going through the caves, the walk seems long. We finally got back to the top, washed off our feet and shoes, and then waited quite awhile for more open air taxis to arrive. There were about 20 people behind us from our group, so we weren't the last ones by any means, but the taxis were slow to get us, which made everyone late getting back to the ship. Luckily, since it was a Disney excursion, they held the boat for us, but it was a bit scary! We were thankful to have been with Disney on that one! The ferry ride back was again bumpy. They did serve some rum punch, but we passed b/c we weren't sure about drinking the water from the island.
All in all it was a great time and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. I would only recommend the excursion to people ages 8 and older if you want to explore the caves and see the better beach. Otherwise, you're not really seeing much at all besides an okay beach. I think there would be better excursions out there for people with younger kids or grandparents. Also, I wouldn't recommend it for people with back, knee, or other similar health problems. I'm a pretty Pooh sized person, so there were spots that made me nervous, but I made it through. Bigger than me...I'm not so sure! The second beach really is amazing, but if I were to do it again, I would not wait for the guide, like we were instructed. There were private groups doing it on their own and having a lot of fun. I think it would be better to do the caves part as a smaller group and get to the nicer beach earlier so you can really enjoy your time there. Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer about the excursion!

Thanks for the detailed info! I was wondering about Tortola since that's the itinerary we're looking at for next year.

We returned a couple of weeks ago from our cruise on the Fantasy. I thought I would report back about our experience with Tortola. Our group consisted of 2 grandparents, my husband and I, and our 3 kids, ages 16, 12 and 8. We did the non-lunch Baths trip through Disney in the afternoon (the only option for us). In the morning, we got off the ship to experience Tortola shopping on our own. Our kids love the gift shops at the other ports where they can pick up a stuffed animal or a magnet or other little trinkets to remember the port. Tortola was a total disappointment! NOTHING was open besides Diamonds International and two elegant-looking clothing shops which didn't have any t-shirts or little trinkets. Bummer! My 12 year old was totally bummed! We did get some nice pics of the Fantasy in port, but besides that, there is nothing to do right outside the pier.
Now, on to the excursion. Our meeting time was around 1:15, I think, in the movie theater. They passed out towels to those who wanted them and then disembarked as a large group. We were then lead to a ferry which took us from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. It had seating upstairs out in the open and also an air-conditioned cabin inside which seated quite a few people as well. There were a few additional benches outside on the main level as well. The ferry ride was approximately 30 minutes long. We had pretty smooth seas, but it was still pretty rocky. A few of the kids near us were getting ill from the motion.
Once at Virgin Gorda, they separated us into open air taxis which seated approximately 20 people per vehicle. Our driver took us to two look-out points, which were not that great. I think they were trying to break up the crowd a bit, but it felt like wasted time. We met up with the rest of the group at the Baths, but then were late for the big group talk they did. They wanted us to hang around after the big group left to hear the rules, but we snuck away! We did hear that we were supposed to wait for the guide to take us through the caves and we were not supposed to go alone.
As a big group, everyone made their way along the path to the first beach. I would say that it took about 5-10 minutes to walk to the first beach. The path was uneven, but easy. They didn't give us any indication of how much time we would be there before we could go through the caves, so that was very awkward. The first beach was nice, but small unless you wandered away a bit, but then we were worried that we would miss the cave part. In our opinion, we were at the first beach entirely too long. Finally a guide came along the beach and rounded up the people that wanted to go through the caves to the other beach.
The cave-portion was surprising to us! There were very tight places and a lot of people trying to get through them. People coming on their own from the other direction had a difficult time getting through b/c of our group. It was a line of people going one by one through the tight spaces. At one point you had to hold onto a rope and pull yourself up a large rock (probably 12 feet tall), then walk along the rock and come back down through a tiny little hole. After the first little hole you had to crawl through, the grandparents in our group bailed out, which I think was best. It was more strenuous than I had anticipated. The cave part took quite awhile to get through since it was done as a large group. The payoff was great though. The second beach was incredible!!! We were sad that we couldn't have gotten to it sooner, as was another stranger that we ran into. We only ended up with about 25 minutes on the nice beach before we had to head up a different path to get back to the top.
The walk back to the top took about 20 minutes. It seemed to go on forever! I guess I was expecting just a short little hike, but when you're in a wet swimsuit and tired from going through the caves, the walk seems long. We finally got back to the top, washed off our feet and shoes, and then waited quite awhile for more open air taxis to arrive. There were about 20 people behind us from our group, so we weren't the last ones by any means, but the taxis were slow to get us, which made everyone late getting back to the ship. Luckily, since it was a Disney excursion, they held the boat for us, but it was a bit scary! We were thankful to have been with Disney on that one! The ferry ride back was again bumpy. They did serve some rum punch, but we passed b/c we weren't sure about drinking the water from the island.
All in all it was a great time and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. I would only recommend the excursion to people ages 8 and older if you want to explore the caves and see the better beach. Otherwise, you're not really seeing much at all besides an okay beach. I think there would be better excursions out there for people with younger kids or grandparents. Also, I wouldn't recommend it for people with back, knee, or other similar health problems. I'm a pretty Pooh sized person, so there were spots that made me nervous, but I made it through. Bigger than me...I'm not so sure! The second beach really is amazing, but if I were to do it again, I would not wait for the guide, like we were instructed. There were private groups doing it on their own and having a lot of fun. I think it would be better to do the caves part as a smaller group and get to the nicer beach earlier so you can really enjoy your time there. Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer about the excursion!

Yes, thanks for all that information spart02! We have that excursion scheduled in a few weeks. I was hoping for more time at the beaches. I guess we will try to wander off on our own! You would do it again after doing it and know what you know now?

DW & DD like to shop but it's a total waste of time? Better off just staying on ship?

We should buy/pack water shoes for this? Thanks!

I would do it again, but I would definitely wander off on my own, keeping in mind that it takes a good 15-20 minutes to get back to the top when you are done, so allow plenty of time.

Unless you are going for expensive clothing or jewelry, I would stay on the ship and skip shopping until they develop that area a bit more. It was REALLY lame!

YES to water shoes or sandals that have straps behind the heel. NO flip flops. You are walking on a hard, packed dirt path to get to the beaches and caves. In the caves, you are walking in water that is about a foot deep, if I remember right. Some of the areas in the cave are slippery, so if you have shoes with a little bit of traction, that would be best.

Once you go in the entrance of the cave, I think it would be pretty self explanatory where to go, and if you're at all unsure, there were plenty of people around that you could ask that were doing it on their own. If I were you, I would arrive, walk down the path to the first beach, check it out for a few minutes, then head to the entrance of the caves (near the bar and restrooms). Then take your time exploring in the caves and making your way to the nicer beach. Again, allow about 20 minutes minimum to get back up. There are plenty of people around to point you in the right direction, but not too many people at the nice beach to feel at all crowded.

Have fun!!!! And let me know how it goes for you!

Yes, thanks for all that information spart02! We have that excursion scheduled in a few weeks. I was hoping for more time at the beaches. I guess we will try to wander off on our own! You would do it again after doing it and know what you know now?

DW & DD like to shop but it's a total waste of time? Better off just staying on ship?

We should buy/pack water shoes for this? Thanks!

We'll be sure to report back too (Fantasy 9/24). We're using Aristocats boat tours. They have great TripAdvisor reviews.

I think we'll be visiting several areas for snorkeling and lunch is included on the boat. All day thing, but not through Disney.

We'll be sure to report back too (Fantasy 9/24). We're using Aristocats boat tours. They have great TripAdvisor reviews.

I think we'll be visiting several areas for snorkeling and lunch is included on the boat. All day thing, but not through Disney.

I'll look forward to hear how your Aristocats tour went - we have it booked for our Tortola day when we cruise early next year. Which location(s) are you going to?

I'll look forward to hear how your Aristocats tour went - we have it booked for our Tortola day when we cruise early next year. Which location(s) are you going to?
I took my family on the tour with Aristocat Charters and can easily say it was the best day of our vacation. We were on the Aristocat with Scott ( I think that was his name :-( ) and Luke. These guys know exactly what they are doing. They take care of EVERYTHING; Food, Drink (Rum Punch :-)) equipment. Nothing to worry about. You will have a great day.

My family and I ( Boys 14, 14 and 12 and my wife) did the forest and beach hike while in Tortola on 4/6. The guide was really good, however he didn't have much to work with. We boarded the open air bus near the pier for the trip up the mountain. The roads are CRAZY, narrow and lots of hairpin turns, where they blew their horns to make sure they didn't hit another car going around the corner. The views were amazing on the way up and on the way down, and there were stops along the way for pictures and to take in the view. Really beautiful.

The hike portion of the trip was really bad though. We pulled into a parking lot near the top of the mountain. After our group gathered, we proceeded on our hike. Picture a hike basically up hill on a narrow path not more than 2 feet wide, with ruts, roots, rocks etc. It is a wonder no one twisted an ankle. I came close a few times. Seriously, it was like an abandoned trail. The hike lasted about 45 minutes on the way up to an observation "deck" with a broken step you had to climb over to get up to the observation area. I am surprised the deck was still standing, and there appeared to be debris from a previous deck off to the side. After our view from the top of the mountain, we continued to hike, through a marginally nicer trail eventually winding up at a gravel access road, with lots of muddy spots, that lead back to the restaurant/store/bar that appeared to be a former house, near where we parked for our complimentary rum punch or soft drink. The building was dilapidated, there was no running water in the rest rooms, and the bar facility cleanliness was questionable.

We boarded the bus once again for the downhill drive to the beach. The beach was a typical tourist beach, and we were able to select a beach chair that had a ribbon on it. There is restaurant/bar and some trinket sellers at the beach. They also rent umbrellas that are already set up, but if you try to open them, they will come over and try to charge you for them, if you decline, they take the umbrella away. After about 1 hour on the beach we boarded the bus to head back to the pier.

As I mentioned, the guide/driver was great, knowledgeable and had a good personality, he just was really limited with what he had to do to make the hike portion appealing and fun.

Norman Island and the Indians. I know nothing about them (the locations that is). :D I just can't wait to be on the water.

I would highly recommend booking with Aristocat charters. We booked a full day charter with a couple of other families during our last cruise, and it we had the best time. We sailed to the Norman island caves, Pirate Bight, and the Indians. The snorkeling at those sites was phenomenal. No crowds of the Disney excursion and the price was very good. I would say that this was possibly the best excursion we have ever done in all of our travels. The staff is very friendly and professional. They took care of everything. There was rum punch, plenty of soft drinks, and a good lunch. Don't skip on this, I promise you will have the time of your life. Enjoy!

I would do it again, but I would definitely wander off on my own, keeping in mind that it takes a good 15-20 minutes to get back to the top when you are done, so allow plenty of time.

Unless you are going for expensive clothing or jewelry, I would stay on the ship and skip shopping until they develop that area a bit more. It was REALLY lame!

YES to water shoes or sandals that have straps behind the heel. NO flip flops. You are walking on a hard, packed dirt path to get to the beaches and caves. In the caves, you are walking in water that is about a foot deep, if I remember right. Some of the areas in the cave are slippery, so if you have shoes with a little bit of traction, that would be best.

Once you go in the entrance of the cave, I think it would be pretty self explanatory where to go, and if you're at all unsure, there were plenty of people around that you could ask that were doing it on their own. If I were you, I would arrive, walk down the path to the first beach, check it out for a few minutes, then head to the entrance of the caves (near the bar and restrooms). Then take your time exploring in the caves and making your way to the nicer beach. Again, allow about 20 minutes minimum to get back up. There are plenty of people around to point you in the right direction, but not too many people at the nice beach to feel at all crowded.

Have fun!!!! And let me know how it goes for you!

Thank you for the detailed review.

I'm curious about the part where you said you had to climb a 12-foot rock with ropes -- did you have to sort of walk up the side of the rock while hauling yourself up with your arms? I walk a lot every day, but my upper body strength sucks. Could you tell me more about this part of the trek?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter