Tortola Excursion Reviews

We did it on our own. We loved it, I'd recommend it to anyone. Tell me if you have any specific questions.:)

Disneyfalcon - in a recent post someone wrote about everyone getting rashes from alge in the water. Did you have this experience?

Thanks for the 'heads up', Mary. We don't go till September, so I'll be keeping my eyes out to see if the alge issue is seasonal.

I had considered booking this on my own (and not telling them I was on the Magic), but was too concerened with weather issues and making port, so we bit the bullet and booked through DCL. I will ABSOLUTELY cancel if the August group reports this is still a problem.

Disneyfalcon - in a recent post someone wrote about everyone getting rashes from alge in the water. Did you have this experience?

No, not at all. i didn't see the other post. Maybe it was just a freak thing. We had no problems in the water at all. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our swim. We were there about an hour early and watched the dolphins play and swim alone. They kept coming over to where we were seated and playing right in front of us.

Perhaps the alge issue is seasonal, since it didn't appear to be an issue before the June cruise.
:confused3

We are going in Aug. I would love to hear from someone that went in June. I have one child that scratches every little thing on his body. If he has a little bug bit - he will scratch it until it is bleeding.

Anyone know if you can bring your own water shoes to wear. The thought of wearing shoes tons of other people have worn kind of creeeps me out.

I really hope the rash thing is gone because I am SO EXCITED to do this activity. It seems so cool.

:banana:

Another vote for Tortola! We did Brewer's Bay with our large group and really I think 5 other people were there. The snorkling was AMAZING and we have done our fair share over the years. If you swim up the left side of the beach by the rocks you are in for a treat!

This was by far our favorite day. We had no reservation just hoped an open air bus and headed to the beach..........

OMG - A rash - How bad was it. I am very scard now. Did the rash last long? Please tell me more. Any suggestions about how to avoid it. Should we wear longer stretchie type pants instead of normal swim suits? My kids are 4,5,7 and they will freak out if they get a rash. Or would those long sleeved swim shorts work. Any advise you can give me would help.

We booked it on our own so it was much cheaper. I got a really good deal - the two younger kids were free.

Good job booking on your own? How early are you going?

My 10 yr old's rash was an oblong patch that stretched from the back of his left shoulder to underneath his arm. It's location was the problem. They gave us ammonia soaked gauze. We used the gel type of Benadryl when he complained & when he showered I put a very mild sensitive skin moisturizer on it. Other kids seemed to have small patches of around and inch or two in diameter. Except for one girl in a mid day group who got it all over her mid section (wearing a bikini).

I would definitely just try to keep the kids away from the fence. DS had a rash guard shirt on, so I don't understand :confused3 why he got it. The kids w/ a lot of rash spots were not wearing any rash guard shirt. None of the adults seemed to have the rash or perhaps it just didn't bother them. Maybe we just didn't touch the nasty fence. The fence is right behind you when you are on the platform. The trainer keeps telling you to step back. Tell your kids not to step back & position adults on either side of them to keep them away from the fence.

My DS's rash came & go over about a 3 day period.

He still loved the experience & there was plenty to distract him in the Lab, so he only complained when he changed clothes, after a shower, or after swimming. If you cruise a lot, you might just want to consider doing a dolphin swim/encounter on a different island. I noticed that the Nassau DCL one is MUCH cheaper than what we did on Tortola. Maybe swimming v. encounter isn't worth the extra $. My kids saw the fun going on in the encounter group & questioned why they didn't get to do the same thing. I told them it was probably b/c we got to swim.

Many people on our cruise went to the Baths, Brewer's Bay, Norman Island etc. and all had wonderful reports. I would definitely go back to Tortola & enjoy the natural beauty. There seemed to be so many places to go.

Hi missyoh from the June 20th cruise!

We chose to do the Dolphin Swim on Tortola. The kids enjoyed it & we did, but overall it was very overpriced & it worried me that these dolphins might not be well cared for. They seemed to be used like workhorses. They get very little break time in between sessions.

I have not heard good things about the dolphin facility in Tortola. As an animal lover and advocate, I would suggest you doing a little research on this by checking out any of Ric O-Barry's work. He has several books out that tell in depth of the reality of these dolphins while in captivity. There is also a good website called dolphinproject.org that can help you.

I have always wanted to do a dolphin swim but can't bring myself to do it knowing what is going on behind the scenes. We opted for a self-booked excursion called *Dolphin Watch* while in Key West. I LOVED it. Seeing these beautiful animals at peace and FREE was amazing! If you are interested in this you can find more out by going to dolphinwatchusa.com.

As for Tortola, we did the Baths on our own and loved it. It was the best excursion that we have done in our 4 cruise history!

Hi "Ollie's Mama"!

I regret the dolphin swim. I just thought that if it was via DCL that it would be ok, but it was not. :sad1:

I've never heard of the dolphin watch. We'll check that out if we ever do a Western. My family loves Eastern b/c they like the sea days.

I'm glad your cruise was good for you. We enjoyed stalking....I mean meeting you so often throughout the cruise. Liam & RLweems's son were inseparable, so I'm very grateful for our little DIS group.

Thanks again for the advice on the Baths. We weren't up for it after our Dolphin Swim/Rash experience. I do want to go back to Tortola for the baths & for snorkeling since those reviews were sooo positive.

One of my cruisemates on the Sept Tortola said DCL cancelled the Day At The Baths of Virgin Gorda excursion. Has this happened for the July & August cruises? Anyone know why? :confused3

Oh, and part two.....did anyone do the Arts & Crafts tour?

One of my cruisemates on the Sept Tortola said DCL cancelled the Day At The Baths of Virgin Gorda excursion. Has this happened for the July & August cruises? Anyone know why? :confused3

Oh, and part two.....did anyone do the Arts & Crafts tour?

Yes they canceled all 'the baths' ones last weekend, some people got calls, a lot didnt, it just canceled out on the manage my booking, the tour of virgin gorda is simular but shorter, differneces inclde no food, and it runs twice, may be capacity issues maybe food issues.

Hi "Ollie's Mama"!

I regret the dolphin swim. I just thought that if it was via DCL that it would be ok, but it was not. :sad1:

I've never heard of the dolphin watch. We'll check that out if we ever do a Western. My family loves Eastern b/c they like the sea days.

I'm glad your cruise was good for you. We enjoyed stalking....I mean meeting you so often throughout the cruise. Liam & RLweems's son were inseparable, so I'm very grateful for our little DIS group.

Thanks again for the advice on the Baths. We weren't up for it after our Dolphin Swim/Rash experience. I do want to go back to Tortola for the baths & for snorkeling since those reviews were sooo positive.

I'm so sorry you didn't have a good experience. I think its good to remember that DCL doesn't control the vendors that are offering the excursions, they are just supporting their business by offering the excursion. If you weren't happy with it, I would definitely make sure that DCL was aware of your experience.

This would help two fold: First (in my book anyway)....if DCL receives too many complaints they won't continue to support that business which might in turn help put these people out of business that don't know how to take care of animals! Secondly though, for all of us that are hoping for the vacation of a lifetime; I would hope that DCL would only support and back those excursions that are safe and fun for the entire family, allowing us all to make those magical memories full of pixie dust!

Good job booking on your own? How early are you going?

My 10 yr old's rash was an oblong patch that stretched from the back of his left shoulder to underneath his arm. It's location was the problem. They gave us ammonia soaked gauze. We used the gel type of Benadryl when he complained & when he showered I put a very mild sensitive skin moisturizer on it. Other kids seemed to have small patches of around and inch or two in diameter. Except for one girl in a mid day group who got it all over her mid section (wearing a bikini).

I would definitely just try to keep the kids away from the fence. DS had a rash guard shirt on, so I don't understand :confused3 why he got it. The kids w/ a lot of rash spots were not wearing any rash guard shirt. None of the adults seemed to have the rash or perhaps it just didn't bother them. Maybe we just didn't touch the nasty fence. The fence is right behind you when you are on the platform. The trainer keeps telling you to step back. Tell your kids not to step back & position adults on either side of them to keep them away from the fence.

My DS's rash came & go over about a 3 day period.

He still loved the experience & there was plenty to distract him in the Lab, so he only complained when he changed clothes, after a shower, or after swimming. If you cruise a lot, you might just want to consider doing a dolphin swim/encounter on a different island. I noticed that the Nassau DCL one is MUCH cheaper than what we did on Tortola. Maybe swimming v. encounter isn't worth the extra $. My kids saw the fun going on in the encounter group & questioned why they didn't get to do the same thing. I told them it was probably b/c we got to swim.

Many people on our cruise went to the Baths, Brewer's Bay, Norman Island etc. and all had wonderful reports. I would definitely go back to Tortola & enjoy the natural beauty. There seemed to be so many places to go.

Hi missyoh from the June 20th cruise!

I am trying to figure out a way to avoid them getting rashes. They all have swim shirts that only show their arms from their elbows down. We are going on a 11am encounter. Are you allowed to bring your own water shoes to wear?

Yes they canceled all 'the baths' ones last weekend, some people got calls, a lot didnt, it just canceled out on the manage my booking, the tour of virgin gorda is simular but shorter, differneces inclde no food, and it runs twice, may be capacity issues maybe food issues.
I wonder if the longer tour to the Baths was run by the same tour operator as the shorter tour?

Woody

I am trying to figure out a way to avoid them getting rashes. They all have swim shirts that only show their arms from their elbows down. We are going on a 11am encounter. Are you allowed to bring your own water shoes to wear?

Yes you can bring your own or use theirs. They're required. The rashes seemed to be on the torsos of most people. I still can't figure out how my DS got a rash under his rash guard shirt.

Just stay away from the fencing/dock behind you. Maybe they'll have it cleaned up by then.

I have a question for those of you who have done the DCL snorkeling excursions and / or snorkeled from a beach on Tortola.

Right now I have myself, DS 10, and DD 6 booked for a snorkeling excursion with either 2 snorkel stops or a snorkel stop and a beach stop (not sure at this moment which one I went with).

But now that I hear that there is great snorkeling even from the beach, I am wondering if that route would give us a little more flexibility. (Rather than dragging the kids out the door for an 8am excursion if they have started to wear themselves out already on the cruise).

Are there also snorkel boats that leave from the dock that I wouldn't have to book in advance?

Thanks for any info

:):)

Decided to resurrect this thread for all of us going to Tortola in 2016!
I'll be on the MRch 12th cruise! Would love to know if the island is still un touristy as it used to be. It seems to be Avery popular spot now.

I'll be on the MRch 12th cruise! Would love to know if the island is still un touristy as it used to be. It seems to be Avery popular spot now.

Same here. Will be there in April 2016. Don't know much about this destination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter