Tortola Excursion (Beach?)

AnnaS

DIS Veteran
Hi. We have cruised DCL many times but this coming May Tortola will be a first for us. We are about ready to book excursions. Trying to surf different sites for reviews/suggestions.

Would love to do the zip lines but DH can't and would not even if he could.

Not too interested in shopping. We are looking at the Baths or a beach excursion.

Question - for anyone that has been here or has done a beach excursion through DCL or on their own.

I am curious if it's possible to do a beach excursion on our own that is not almost an hour away. If we have to, we will do go with DCL. Just hate the 40/50 minute ride each way. Sometimes they stop for a picture somewhere or an opportunity to purchase things. They barely give you two hours at the beach. We have done excursions on our own and with DCL. Sometimes some are better on our own but have not seen/read much on this.

If you have done one on your own, do you mind sharing your experience/details. How far from port? Taxi? Worth it/restroom/place to purchase lunch, etc.

If you have done a beach excursion through DCL, which one and again, any details, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hubby and I went to Tortola on the NCL Getaway last September. Looks like we're heading back in May on NCL's Escape. We cannot wait to get back to Tortola.

We did the Baths on our own utilizing Speedy's Ferry service. Cost round trip with transfers from the ferry dock to the Baths on Virgin Gorda was like $40 each. It's hard to remember now. I just looked at their website and I think that's right.

Anywhoo, used Speedy's Ferry Service. It was okay. It was 45 minutes ride in either direction. We sat outside on the upper deck and it was miserable hot. I wasn't sitting inside, though. Visions of the Cozumel --> Playa ferry still ring too clear for me. LOL! When we were getting off the ferry on Virgin Gorda we asked 2 employees what time the next 2 ferries were. We were told 12:00 and 1:30 or something similar. Port times are much shorter for NCL. So we wanted to play it safe and get back for the 12:00. Made our way back. Watched the incoming 12:00 ferry. Happiness at our cleverness. We sat and sat and sat waiting for them to let us start boarding. As it crept up on time for the ferry to leave but nobody had boarded we asked what was up. Nope, this ferry was chartered (by the cruise ship) and wouldn't be leaving until 1:30. Now we started to sweat. Are we going to be allowed onboard even though we didn't do the cruise ship excursion? Will there be a 2nd ferry for the non-excursion travelers??? We were freaked out. Another lady that was with us pulled up the schedule on their website and there was, indeed, supposed to be a noon ferry back. She showed it to an employee who simply shrugged and said, "Well, that's wrong." Okay???? So we sat waiting outside in the heat (even in the shade) steaming over our fail. That was another hour+ we could've spent at the Baths had the website and employees been correct on the schedule. There was a 2nd ferry for the non-excursion people. We were back onboard about an hour before all-aboard. Just know that the ferry schedules aren't set in stone. In hindsight I should've asked the guy when I paid for the tickets at the window in Tortola but he was rushing the process because of the line of people.

Don't be discouraged, though! Keep reading!

So the morning we arrived in Tortola and made our way over to Speedy's Ferry dock, along the way we encountered a gentleman named Egbert. I had read about Egbert on Cruise Critic's Tortola board. I knew he was legit. Egbert offered to take us on a smaller boat with transfers to the Baths for something like $50 each. I would've taken him up on that offer lickety-split but through the cruise meet group about 30 people were all set to follow me via the ferry. I warned them a dozen times I had never been to Tortola and was using my *skillz* from navigating us in other ports away from cruise line mass excursions but they all still chose to follow me. Literally. :oops: Throughout or day I thought about Egbert and what that would've been like.

Fast forward to planning for our upcoming return to Tortola. Am I going back to the Baths? You betcha. I want my sons to see it. It's an incredible place. And, yes, if I had no other option than to brave the ferry again or overpay for the miserable mass excursion (I do loathe the mass excursions) I would. I absolutely would. BUT, a cruising friend who followed us in Tortola last Sept just got back and she shared her 2nd trip over with me. She said right around that same area where we encountered Egbert before there was another guy, she thinks his name is like Aaron. She sent me a pic of him. They were offered something similar to Egbert. (You'll know Egbert because he's older and his name is printed big on his cap.) She said they were on a smaller boat that held 10-12 people. The transit time was more like 20 minutes each way. They docked at a smaller pier not far from the ferry dock on Virgin Gorda. The price they paid included a ride on the exact same shuttle we used for the ferry only it only held the people who were on the same small boat vs. being loaded in like sardines. She said they agreed on a return time as a concensus with the rest of the people on their boat, all of which obviously were there from the same cruise ship so it wasn't hard to get everyone on the same page. Like clockwork their guy was back to get them and they had a quick return to Tortola.

I WAS getting ready to pony-up $1500+ for my family of 6 to charter a vessel from Tortola to the Baths. The charter vessels don't dock. They literally back up near the ropes at Devil's Bay or on the other side (I forget the name). Passengers hop into the water and swim into shore. It's not terribly far. Not a deal breaker on that. The boat sits there and waits for the passengers to return then they leave. Charters do offer catering and beverages which is nice. But is it $1500+ nice? If I had a bigger group/family I'd say YES. But I don't.

So here's my thinking. We're gonna wing it. We're going to arrive in Tortola and I'm going to walk towards the ferry pier. I'm going to look for Egbert or we-think-he's-Aaron and see what they offer. I may even inquire and see if they'll take just my group of 6. I figure at $50 x 10-12 we're looking at $500-$600 for a private boat transfer on our time. Even if we spend another $100-$200 at the restaurant at the top of the Baths path I'm still saving more than half the charter price. As a backup plan (because my worst nightmare is missing the ship in port) I will make sure I know the return ferry schedule. I can always get us to the ferry dock and buy a 1 way passage for everyone back. Worst case? We'll end up on the dadgummin' ferry again. Or, I'll walk across the street to the rum joint and do something different. I doubt it'd come to that, though.

So that's what I have for you. YMMV. No matter what, have so much fun in the sun!

Last edited:
Hubby and I went to Tortola on the NCL Getaway last September. Looks like we're heading back in May on NCL's Escape. We cannot wait to get back to Tortola.

We did the Baths on our own utilizing Speedy's Ferry service. Cost round trip with transfers from the ferry dock to the Baths on Virgin Gorda was like $40 each. It's hard to remember now. I just looked at their website and I think that's right.

Anywhoo, used Speedy's Ferry Service. It was okay. It was 45 minutes ride in either direction. We sat outside on the upper deck and it was miserable hot. I wasn't sitting inside, though. Visions of the Cozumel --> Playa ferry still ring too clear for me. LOL! When we were getting off the ferry on Virgin Gorda we asked 2 employees what time the next 2 ferries were. We were told 12:00 and 1:30 or something similar. Port times are much shorter for NCL. So we wanted to play it safe and get back for the 12:00. Made our way back. Watched the incoming 12:00 ferry. Happiness at our cleverness. We sat and sat and sat waiting for them to let us start boarding. As it crept up on time for the ferry to leave but nobody had boarded we asked what was up. Nope, this ferry was chartered (by the cruise ship) and wouldn't be leaving until 1:30. Now we started to sweat. Are we going to be allowed onboard even though we didn't do the cruise ship excursion? Will there be a 2nd ferry for the non-excursion travelers??? We were freaked out. Another lady that was with us pulled up the schedule on their website and there was, indeed, supposed to be a noon ferry back. She showed it to an employee who simply shrugged and said, "Well, that's wrong." Okay???? So we sat waiting outside in the heat (even in the shade) steaming over our fail. That was another hour+ we could've spent at the Baths had the website and employees been correct on the schedule. There was a 2nd ferry for the non-excursion people. We were back onboard about an hour before all-aboard. Just know that the ferry schedules aren't set in stone. In hindsight I should've asked the guy when I paid for the tickets at the window in Tortola but he was rushing the process because of the line of people.

Don't be discouraged, though! Keep reading!

So the morning we arrived in Tortola and made our way over to Speedy's Ferry dock, along the way we encountered a gentleman named Egbert. I had read about Egbert on Cruise Critic's Tortola board. I knew he was legit. Egbert offered to take us on a smaller boat with transfers to the Baths for something like $50 each. I would've taken him up on that offer lickety-split but through the cruise meet group about 30 people were all set to follow me via the ferry. I warned them a dozen times I had never been to Tortola and was using my *skillz* from navigating us in other ports away from cruise line mass excursions but they all still chose to follow me. Literally. :oops: Throughout or day I thought about Egbert and what that would've been like.

Fast forward to planning for our upcoming return to Tortola. Am I going back to the Baths? You betcha. I want my sons to see it. It's an incredible place. And, yes, if I had no other option than to brave the ferry again or overpay for the miserable mass excursion (I do loathe the mass excursions) I would. I absolutely would. BUT, a cruising friend who followed us in Tortola last Sept just got back and she shared her 2nd trip over with me. She said right around that same area where we encountered Egbert before there was another guy, she thinks his name is like Aaron. She sent me a pic of him. They were offered something similar to Egbert. (You'll know Egbert because he's older and his name is printed big on his cap.) She said they were on a smaller boat that held 10-12 people. The transit time was more like 20 minutes each way. They docked at a smaller pier not far from the ferry dock on Virgin Gorda. The price they paid included a ride on the exact same shuttle we used for the ferry only it only held the people who were on the same small boat vs. being loaded in like sardines. She said they agreed on a return time as a concensus with the rest of the people on their boat, all of which obviously were there from the same cruise ship so it wasn't hard to get everyone on the same page. Like clockwork their guy was back to get them and they had a quick return to Tortola.

I WAS getting ready to pony-up $1500+ for my family of 6 to charter a vessel from Tortola to the Baths. The charter vessels don't dock. They literally back up near the ropes at Devil's Bay or on the other side (I forget the name). Passengers hop into the water and swim into shore. It's not terribly far. Not a deal breaker on that. The boat sits there and waits for the passengers to return then they leave. Charters do offer catering and beverages which is nice. But is it $1500+ nice? If I had a bigger group/family I'd say YES. But I don't.

So here's my thinking. We're gonna wing it. We're going to arrive in Tortola and I'm going to walk towards the ferry pier. I'm going to look for Egbert or we-think-he's-Aaron and see what they offer. I may even inquire and see if they'll take just my group of 6. I figure at $50 x 10-12 we're looking at $500-$600 for a private boat transfer on our time. Even if we spend another $100-$200 at the restaurant at the top of the Baths path I'm still saving more than half the charter price. As a backup plan (because my worst nightmare is missing the ship in port) I will make sure I know the return ferry schedule. I can always get us to the ferry dock and buy a 1 way passage for everyone back. Worst case? We'll end up on the dadgummin' ferry again. Or, I'll walk across the street to the rum joint and do something different. I doubt it'd come to that, though.

So that's what I have for you. YMMV. No matter what, have so much fun in the sun!

That all sounds great and interesting read. I am curious though: If you are willing to pay more AND are worried about missing the boat, why not just do the ship's excursion? I am doing the half day through DCL and it is only about $50 pp. What would I gain from going on my own? I would have thought flexibility, but based on your description of the ferry, I don't think so.

We are headed to Tortola on the Fantasy in April (first time on a cruise and to Tortola!). We plan on taking a taxi from the pier to Cane Garden Bay beach. I understand that it is about a 20-30 minute (somewhat scary) taxi ride. We thought this would be an easy way to spend a few hours with our kids (aged 4 and 8).

Read the original post again. You need to know where to go when you dock in Tortola. I was very frustrated by this because I couldn't get a solid blow-by-blow from anyone on the Cruise Critic boards. Not like Dis'ers do. Nobody does it like a Diser. :P That should be a tshirt, huh???

Okay. So you'll get off the ship in (hopefully) sunny gorgeous Tortola. Yay! You're here!

Walk towards the buildings. They're new. Crop of little shops. When I was there in September you walked through the walkway where these shops were an hung a left. There's a parking lot with a fence around it in front of you. Walk across that to the other side. Basically you're following along the shoreline to the left of where the cruise pier is. If you look at it on Google Maps follow the shoreline to the left. The ferry pier is a smaller pier not far away at all. You just have to sorta walk around things to get to it. I can't remember if they had restrooms at the group of shops. I think so.

When we came out of the parking area we walked past some restroom portables (not port-a-potty type, they were like mini-trailers sorta). Those were on our right. Walk past those and make your way towards the front of the hotel that's there. You'll see it. It's tall and it's on the left backing up to the water.

Walk past the hotel, pretty sure there's sidewalks here.

As you're following sidewalks there's a point where you'll turn a corner. That's about where we met Egbert. That's my destination.

If continuing to the ferry, keep following that sidewalk. You'll come upon a little shopping village area. It's cute. Keep going past that. You'll see a busy, bustling road on your right now. Then you'll see the Pusser's Rum on the other side of the road. The ferry is on the same side of the road you're on across from the rum place maybe a little further down. Just hang out by the window in front of that ferry building. They'll open and that's where you buy the ferry tickets. The guy kept telling people "Cash" but a lady behind us almost lost her sh** because she had planned to use a credit card for their large group. They do take credit cards. I think they just avoid it because of the fees. And cash is faster. They try to move that line fast to get the show on the road. Or water? LOL! There are restrooms and little indoor waiting area like a miniature airport waiting area on the back of that building. We didn't sit inside because it was a bit warm and the air didn't move. At least outside there was air movement.

Once you get over to Virgin Gorda and you walk off the little ferry pier there's a building on your right. That's the ferry office and restrooms. To get to the shuttles to the Baths you need to sorta hang a left into the parking area. It's dirt. The shuttles are there. They pack you in like cattle but that's the way of it.

The ride to the top of the Baths was maybe like 10 minutes? Not far. A little bumpy.

The shuttles will drop you in a dirt parking circle at the top of the Baths. Nobody mentioned it but there was a booth where we had to pay $3 each for entry. I don't think this is consistently manned. You know, stuff in the islands can be so inconsistent. So we ponied-up our $3 each and headed down the path. Note! At the top by the parking area if you're facing the path entrance where that booth is look to the right. That building is a restaurant and shop. At this restaurant they have a pool for their guests to use. Prices here are reasonable to my knowledge.

Walk down the path. It's not terrible. Place your feet carefully. Don't get rushed. Take your time. It's not far. I promise. When you get to the bottom you'll see a little restroom structure on the right. There's an outside shower, too. You have to pay to use the restroom at least that's what a lady coming out informed me. I didn't go in. There are lockers really close by. Also, a beach bar and I think they do bbq type stuff there. We didn't go there so I'm not sure. I do recall smelling burgers on the grill outside. We brought M&M's, granola, and bottled water with us from the ship.

We set our backpack in some brush out of the way here at this beach then walked into the cave entrance. We didn't know what else to do. I was thinking going through the cave we'd be in more water. What I'll do next time is slip off my flops & coverup, place them inside my water-tight drawstring pack, and carry it. I'm not a tenderfoot, though. 8-) We'll navigate the caves (there's markings on the boulders) through to Devil's Bay and that's where you'll find us. :D

Now, when we go next we'll have my inlaws with us. I'm a little worried about them navigating the full cave path. I know they'll want to try. We can always turn back. There's a point on the path that comes down to the Baths where it splits off. You'll see it. If you take the split it comes out on a path on the other side of the caves. There they can still access Devil's Bay without the full cave traverse. Just keep that in mind. I remember when we were coming back through the cave path to fetch our things prior to leaving there was an older lady about halfway through who asked us if it was going to get harder or if it was much further to go. We told her it wasn't going to be harder and she was a little more than halfway. We told her to take her time. She still looked a little worried. I looked her dead in the eye and said, "Don't not try and wonder if you could've. If it gets hard you know what's behind you to just go back. Stop and rest if you need to. I think no matter what you'll never regret being in here." And we told her about the path option to Devil's Bay just in case she turned back or in case she didn't want to traverse the caves to return later.

On the return we were hurrying because we are always so afraid of missing the boat. Now that I know better what to expect this is what I plan to do. I'm going to make my way (slowly) back up the path. I'm going to leave a solid hour prior to the time I plan for the return transit to spend at the restaurant/bar at the top. I'll take a dip in the pool to rinse the sand off. I'll have a drink and maybe a snack to cool down and regroup so I can avoid being miserable for the ride back. And, I'll use their restroom before we leave.

Just go back to where the shuttle dropped you off and there will be more shuttles coming/going that will pick you up to take you back. No worries.

Hope that helps!

That all sounds great and interesting read. I am curious though: If you are willing to pay more AND are worried about missing the boat, why not just do the ship's excursion? I am doing the half day through DCL and it is only about $50 pp. What would I gain from going on my own? I would have thought flexibility, but based on your description of the ferry, I don't think so.
Well, when we go we will not be on DCL. We will be on NCL. NCL's port times are considerably shorter. There's no half-day option. There's only the excursion that is like $110 pp. Plus, I absolutely loathe big group excursions. It's the atmosphere of hurry up & wait. Line up. Wait for stragglers and/or people who don't follow instruction. I find that I enjoy things so much more when it's on my time in a smaller group. I'm a very impatient person. :D In spite of the fact that I'm perfectly pleasant and friendly, I don't really like people in general all that much. That sounds awful. I know. I'm totally revealing the worst of me here. No, I guess maybe it's the large groups. 100+ people. It's just too much and I'm happier moving at my own pace in my own space. If that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

If there's a half day vs. go on your own that's solid. No doubt. When the cruise lines charter the ferries I think they pick-up and drop right at the cruise ship pier which saves the walk to/from other boats. No other vessels will be docking on the cruise ship pier unless they have business with the cruise ship. Ya know?

At this point I would use the ferry as my last resort or backup.

What would you gain by going it alone? Well, maybe a full day at the half day price on your schedule vs. someone else's? A faster transit? Everyone should definitely weigh what they might be most comfortable with. Pros/cons. Risks/benefits. It's what's right for each person.

For me, even if it was even-stevens dollar-for-dollar I'd opt to go on my own in spite of how worried I'd be. I dislike the mass experience that much. But, I've been there once and learned a lot. I'm far more confident going it alone now. For the most part I won't worry near as much.

I only contributed at all for the go-it-alone experience we had and what I learned from it. If it helps someone make a decision either way that's not a bad thing. I really struggled for the information I wanted prior to our first time in Tortola. That's a big reason why I put what I've experienced out there.

Well, when we go we will not be on DCL. We will be on NCL. NCL's port times are considerably shorter. There's no half-day option. There's only the excursion that is like $110 pp. Plus, I absolutely loathe big group excursions. It's the atmosphere of hurry up & wait. Line up. Wait for stragglers and/or people who don't follow instruction. I find that I enjoy things so much more when it's on my time in a smaller group. I'm a very impatient person. :D In spite of the fact that I'm perfectly pleasant and friendly, I don't really like people in general all that much.

Well, I'm just laughing because I definitely understand- perhaps a little too well...
I understand wanting to go on your own, but wasn't clear in this instance how that was the better option. Now it is. I was not 'judging' but really asking bc I do not really love any of the options we are choosing from.

My DH (who likes people more than I do, haha) especially doesn't like being on someone else's schedule, so score Another Point to doing it on your own. When we used to go to Thailand each year (as a family of 5) we always chartered a snorkeling boat for the day and it was Great! The prices in the Carib seem to be higher and there will only be three of us, so it is harder to justify the numbers for us this time.

Well, I'm just laughing because I definitely understand- perhaps a little too well...
I understand wanting to go on your own, but wasn't clear in this instance how that was the better option. Now it is. I was not 'judging' but really asking bc I do not really love any of the options we are choosing from.

My DH (who likes people more than I do, haha) especially doesn't like being on someone else's schedule, so score Another Point to doing it on your own. When we used to go to Thailand each year (as a family of 5) we always chartered a snorkeling boat for the day and it was Great! The prices in the Carib seem to be higher and there will only be three of us, so it is harder to justify the numbers for us this time.

What's surprising is the limited charter options in Tortola. There are very few. I've not dealt with that obstacle before. In the past I do my due-diligence and just find a charter. The one we had in Cabo last May was oh-my-word! A-mazing with a capital *A*. The price for 6 of us for 4 hours was somewhere in the $900 range. When you break that down per person it doesn't feel so unreasonable to me. I wish there were more options in Tortola. Anyone up for picking up and moving to Tortola to run a charter company???? Let me know!

I'm so glad you get it. LOL! I was afraid I come off as a bit over-princessed or pretentious in my avoidance of the big group excursions. My hubby spoils me, admittedly, but I don't look down my nose at the rest of the world as a result. Heck, if I could bring everyone with me to experience what I have I would. But then I'd be back in a big group. Gah!!!!

Usually when investigating private options in various ports I find that I'm pretty close to the big-group prices when you break them down per person. Even if you pay a little more, the low-key experience is of value. But you know all that. Heehee!

Thanks for responding. :cutie:

sweetpee - thank you so much for the detailed information. I appreciate it. After reading more on the baths - I was worried if it would be too hot or strenuous for DH. He has heart problems. For now, I booked a beach excursion Long Bay something w/lunch (don't recall the exact name right now w/DCL). I would love to do this (or the zip lines but dh would never do it even if he had no heart problems) with a group and/or on our own. Your description sounds similar to our own excursion of a few years ago in St. John's - Trunk Bay. We did it on our own and I also felt confident after reading so many reports. It worked like clock work. We have done many on our own and some with DCL. On your own will usually be a few dollars less (not always) but you have more time at your destination. Of course, there is always the risk of missing the boat.

Thank you again so much!!!!

Plus, I absolutely loathe big group excursions. It's the atmosphere of hurry up & wait. Line up. Wait for stragglers and/or people who don't follow instruction. I find that I enjoy things so much more when it's on my time in a smaller group. I'm a very impatient person. :D In spite of the fact that I'm perfectly pleasant and friendly, I don't really like people in general all that much. That sounds awful. I know. I'm totally revealing the worst of me here. No, I guess maybe it's the large groups. 100+ people. It's just too much and I'm happier moving at my own pace in my own space. If that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

Oh my lord...are you related to my husband???? You just exactly described him and his feelings about excursions! Can't stop laughing!!

But seriously - thanks for the detail about Tortola. It's a new port for us in May and I'm totally freaking out about what to do there! The more details I can find the better! So thanks!

Sweetpee (and anyone else), did you look into Aristocat Charter? We paid $120/person for the full day (9-4:30) and it was amazing! There's 4 guys who own/sail two sailboats and they were absolutely fantastic. Super knowledgeable about the area and they took us to some amazing snorkeling locations. They also fed us a (surprisingly) tasty lunch. They don't work through any of the cruise lines since that would increase their prices too much. They cap the excursion at around 20 people - there were 16 (including kids) on our sailboat and it was very comfortable. There was a shaded area in the back and plenty of places to sit in the sun upfront. I really can't recommend them enough. You can read more reviews on tripadvisor and I think that they would be willing to work with different port times depending on how many people from a ship book through them. It was very much a family atmosphere but they did also serve yummy rum punch.

Oh my lord...are you related to my husband???? You just exactly described him and his feelings about excursions! Can't stop laughing!!

But seriously - thanks for the detail about Tortola. It's a new port for us in May and I'm totally freaking out about what to do there! The more details I can find the better! So thanks!

I think there's more of us out there...we just sound so awful when we voice how we really feel we mostly keep it to ourselves. LOL!

No problem. I've only been there once but I'm happy to share any info I have.

Sweetpee (and anyone else), did you look into Aristocat Charter? We paid $120/person for the full day (9-4:30) and it was amazing! There's 4 guys who own/sail two sailboats and they were absolutely fantastic. Super knowledgeable about the area and they took us to some amazing snorkeling locations. They also fed us a (surprisingly) tasty lunch. They don't work through any of the cruise lines since that would increase their prices too much. They cap the excursion at around 20 people - there were 16 (including kids) on our sailboat and it was very comfortable. There was a shaded area in the back and plenty of places to sit in the sun upfront. I really can't recommend them enough. You can read more reviews on tripadvisor and I think that they would be willing to work with different port times depending on how many people from a ship book through them. It was very much a family atmosphere but they did also serve yummy rum punch.

I'll look at them. I know there are charters that do snorkeling but they don't want to go to the Baths. We want to go to the Baths. When you start working the numbers, $120 x 20 people, that's pretty much up there with the other charters I looked at with for the Baths. The other charters I priced were boats that would take up to like 12 or 15 people, too. So when you break down the per person cost against the $1800 I found on one of them, that brings it inline. The problem is we have 6 people. Preference is always to have the boat to ourselves (those are the best charters I've done in other ports!). That amount for 6 people....YIKES!

Just back from the Fantasy.

We visited the Baths though DCL port adventures. We had a blast!!

After walking to the beach, head off to the left through the "caves" to Devils Beach. They really are not caves. The Baths are Huge-normus boulders some on top of each other. There are some "tight" squeezes and bend way over / crawl on hands and knees. Disclaimer: I'm well over 6 feet tall and over 250 lbs and I fit without any issues.

We spent half of our time going through the caves and the other half in the water in Devils beach. The walk back was much easier. there's a trail to the "car park" at the top of the baths.

Lunch was actually pretty good. There was Water, Coke Product and Lemonade to drink (maybe some other drinks) and there were adult beverages to purchase.

After walking to the beach, head off to the left through the "caves" to Devils Beach. They really are not caves. The Baths are Huge-normus boulders some on top of each other. There are some "tight" squeezes and bend way over / crawl on hands and knees. Disclaimer: I'm well over 6 feet tall and over 250 lbs and I fit without any issues.

We spent half of our time going through the caves and the other half in the water in Devils beach. The walk back was much easier. there's a trail to the "car park" at the top of the baths.

Lunch was actually pretty good. There was Water, Coke Product and Lemonade to drink (maybe some other drinks) and there were adult beverages to purchase.

Thank you!!. It is so tempting!!!!!
Without hijacking my own thread -
Question - I see there is a Princess & Pirate night (Wed./St.Thomas night?) - I know it's new for us. This is more or less for the kids, yes? Different completely than the "usual" Pirate night - yes? Sometimes when something does not apply to me, it goes right over my head. Thank you.

Thanks for the info. Was this the half day or full day? I have read that the 'caves' take a while to get through, especially once the crowds arrive. How long did it take you? We are on the half day which actually is not much time out there. Trying to decide whether to take the path straight to Devils Bay and maybe just explore the caves on that end - or advise DH, DS to go all the way through.

Any info about the ferry ride out? (for example: did ferry have a restroom? Was it very bumpy, people sea sick?)
Thanks in advance!

And to hijack my own thread again :guilty: - and yes, it has it's own thread - now I hear /Zika Virus warning for traveling to the US Virgin Islands :(

We just returned from the Fantasy January 16-23 sailing. I just posted a review of Pontuches Charter on the
St Thomas & Tortola Excursions Help thread. We had a wonderful time snorkeling and visiting The Baths and I certainty recommend them.

Thank you!!. It is so tempting!!!!!
Without hijacking my own thread -
Question - I see there is a Princess & Pirate night (Wed./St.Thomas night?) - I know it's new for us. This is more or less for the kids, yes? Different completely than the "usual" Pirate night - yes? Sometimes when something does not apply to me, it goes right over my head. Thank you.

We had "just" a pirate night on the Fantasy after leaving Tortola. It's only 20 miles from Tortola to Charlotte Amalie but the ship goes about 120nm - heads out east to shoot off the fireworks and then turns and coasts into St. Thomas :)

Pirates night started at 10:30 or 10:45 - quick 10 minute "show" starting Jack Sparrow then the fireworks then Club Pirate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter