Tortilla Soup

Bamboozled

Earning My Ears
I did a search on the net about a year ago for a tortilla soup like the one served at Max & Erma's. I saved this recipe, but never made it . Recently, I came across the recipe again and tried it. I can't believe how good it is and so easy to make. I have made this several times and always send the leftovers to work with my husband. Everyone wanted the recipe. You must try it! The hardest thing about this recipe is opening the cans!

This recipe makes a lot of soup. Cut it in half for a family of 4 and you will probably still have leftovers. Its also very easy to tweek to suit your tastes. I like to add more tomatoes and chicken and skip the onion.

Tortilla Soup
Makes about 20 Cups

2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Celery Soup
2 cans Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
2 (15 oz.) cans Chicken Broth
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 Jar Pace medium Picante Sauce
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles (Add a little at time to taste. I used about 2 Tbls.)
1 med. onion, chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced ( I used minced garlic from a jar)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cooked chicken breasts , cut into chunks. ( I add more)
1 pkg. flour tortillas
vegetable oil
Shredded colby cheese

I used the individually frozen chicken breasts that come in a bag. I baked them right from the freezer according to pkg. directions. Very easy. I used 8 because we like a lot of chicken in this soup.

In a large stockpot combine and whisk together until smooth all eight cans of soup. Add chicken broth. Add tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and chicken.

Bring all ingredients to a full boil, reduce heat to very low, and simmer for 1 hour. Stir frequently to avoid sticking to bottom of pan.

Cut tortillas into thin strips. I folded 2 together at a time and used my kitchen shears to cut them. Heat oil and deep fry untill brown. Drain on paper towel.

To serve pour soup into bowl and top with fried tortillas and
cheese.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Have you tried this using the reduced fat version of the soups? I try not to cook anything with full fat and I was just wondering if it affects the taste.

Just curious, how much does this end up making? With all those cans of soup it looks like you could feed an army?

sharbear,
You will not be disappointed!

Princesstimes2,
I could only find the reduced fat versions of Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom soups. I made it this way once. It did not affect the taste, but also didn't reduce the fat by that much.
I entered the original recipe in my Lifeform program and this is the nutrition information without the tortillas added.
1 cup serving size
182 cal.
9.5 g Fat
3 g Sat. Fat
33 g Chol
1280 Sodium (without added salt)
11 g Carb
1 g Fiber
1 g sugar
11 g protein

I keep my daily fat intake below 30%, and I can have this soup as long as I eat healthy the rest of the day. The last time I had it my daily fat intake was 26%.

RRBB,
Yes, it can feed an army. I will go back and post the # of servings. It makes about 20 Cups. I cut it in half and still have leftovers.

World's best Tortilla Soup recipe hands down....I guarantee it!

El Torito's Tortilla Soup

2 chicken breasts; boneless, skinless
3 qrt. chicken broth
1 red onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 boiling potato, diced
1/4 C. tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. chipotle chile en adobo, pureed
1 tsp. pickled jalapeno chile seeded, chopped
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
1/8 tsp. cumin
salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
juice from 1 lime
2 Tbsp. sweet Sherry (preferably Harvey's Bristol Cream)
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
4 corn tortillas--cut into thin strips
Oil
1/2 lb. Jack cheese, shredded
12 slices avocado
cilantro sprigs

Preparation:
Poach chicken breast in simmering chicken broth until done through, about 10 minutes. Set aside
until cool enough to handle and shred. Combine chicken broth, chicken, red onion, carrots, potato,
tomato paste, bay leaf, garlic, chipotle and jalapeno chiles, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper in
large saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Correct seasoning, if necessary.
Add zucchini, squash, pepper, lime juice and Sherry. Bring again to boil. Reduce heat and simmer
15 minutes. Add cilantro and mint. Stir, then remove from heat. To assemble, fry tortilla strips in
hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Ladle soup into each bowl. Sprinkle with
shredded cheese and tortilla strips. Garnish each bowl with avocado slice and sprig cilantro. Serve at
once.

It will open up the ol' nostrils!

Roy

These recipes sound good. But I have to say that I have never heard of Max and Erma's. I did a search and found their website. It looks pretty good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter